Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:23 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't agree that it is laziness. Just evolution. We aren't lazy when we use "once" to mean a singular instance of something, while Elizabethans like Philip Sidney used it to mean "suddenly," or as we might say, "at once."

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
But if you want to pin the current changes in "unique" on anthing, the villain is probably advertising. Advertising exists almost solely on superlatives. Everything has to be the greatest, the best, the most unique, the one and only, the genuine original. It only takes a few years of exposure to this stuff for a young person to figure out that "unique" is no longer an word reserved for the rarest instances of something. That daily exposure has more effect than any grammarian would, and select pockets of people resisting this would really change anything.

Advertising has dulled the power of adjectives as much as cable has dulled the power of profanity. And there's really nothing we can do about any of it.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
One of the unforgettable and powerfully moving scenes in 2009 for me, was the last scene and last line of Public Enemies.

Best movie of the year, of the ones I've seen, Up. Runner up, District 9.

Vera Farmiga's dress must have been very difficult to make. It was sure difficult to look at.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
But if you want to pin the current changes in "unique" on anthing, the villain is probably advertising. Advertising exists almost solely on superlatives. Everything has to be the greatest, the best, the most unique, the one and only, the genuine original. It only takes a few years of exposure to this stuff for a young person to figure out that "unique" is no longer an word reserved for the rarest instances of something. That daily exposure has more effect than any grammarian would, and select pockets of people resisting this would really change anything.

Advertising has dulled the power of adjectives as much as cable has dulled the power of profanity. And there's really nothing we can do about any of it.

You're absolutely on the money here.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
"Unique" simply doesn't mean what it once did. It doesn't mean "like no other" as much as it means "having individual qualities." The dictionary's haven't caught up with the change? Dictionaries are always trying to catch up. Eventually they will.

Apparently they're starting to, more's the pity. This is from Merriam-Webster on line:

Main Entry: unique
Pronunciation: \yu̇-ˈnēk\
Function: adjective
Etymology: French, from Latin unicus, from unus one — more at one
Date: 1602
1 : being the only one : sole <his unique concern was his own comfort> <I can't walk away with a unique copy. Suppose I lost it? — Kingsley Amis> <the unique factorization of a number into prime factors>
2 a : being without a like or equal : unequaled <could stare at the flames, each one new, violent, unique — Robert Coover> b : distinctively characteristic : peculiar 1 <this is not a condition unique to California — Ronald Reagan>
3 : unusual <a very unique ball-point pen> <we were fairly unique, the sixty of us, in that there wasn't one good mixer in the bunch — J. D. Salinger>

synonyms see strange
— unique·ly adverb
— unique·ness noun
usage Many commentators--e.g., billyweeds, Earl--have objected to the comparison or modification (as by somewhat or very) of unique, often asserting that a thing is either unique or it is not. Objections are based chiefly on the assumption that unique has but a single absolute sense, an assumption contradicted by information readily available in a dictionary. Unique dates back to the 17th century but was little used until the end of the 18th when, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, it was reacquired from French. H. J. Todd entered it as a foreign word in his edition (1818) of Johnson's Dictionary, characterizing it as “affected and useless.” Around the middle of the 19th century it ceased to be considered foreign and came into considerable popular use. With popular use came a broadening of application beyond the original two meanings (here numbered 1 and 2a). In modern use both comparison and modification are widespread and standard but are confined to the extended senses 2b and 3. When sense 1 or sense 2a is intended, unique is used without qualifying modifiers.

Last edited by billyweeds on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:43 am; edited 2 times in total
marantzo
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
I wasn't aware that there had been changes to the word "unique". Maybe you have to live in the USA to notice the changes. Not sure why Joe, being an academic, is all too eager to make excuses for sloppy, lazy, language.

I like being corrected when I make a mistake in grammar. I like to write good.
gromit
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I wasn't aware that there had been changes to the word "unique". Maybe you have to live in the USA to notice the changes. Not sure why Joe, being an academic, is all too eager to make excuses for sloppy, lazy, language.

Joe makes it clear that he is more in tune with descriptive rather than proscriptive denotation. The definition of unique has altered and expanded, making it a more useful word.

I have trouble with the figurative use of the word "literal" to mean something that is not literal. It sounds pretty ignorant to me, or sometimes comical. It literally kills me. But the new meaning seems to have a fair degree of sticking power, and nobody really cares if I'm on board or not.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
Funny, I had lunch with a fellow out-of-work but very experienced copy editor yesterday and we were talking about our pet peeves. We both wince at the way people constantly say "with you and I," "between you and I," "join Jane and I," etc., not only in conversation but on TV and in commercials and even in movies (doesn't anybody copy edit these scripts?). No wonder everyone seems to think it's correct, since it's heard everywhere. But would they say "come with I" or "join I at the game"?

The copy chief at my last full-time job never fixed the wrong use of "lie" and "lay" because she thought it was fussy and elitist to insist on "I was lying down" when someone wrote "I was laying down." That was one of the absolute disagreements between us. A slip between "who" and "whom" I can allow, but not "lie" and "lay," regardless of the fact that nobody ever seems to get it right anymore.
daffy
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote
I don't know what show this is from, but it turns out Christoph Waltz can be pretty funny.

(If you don't understand what's going on, scroll down and click on the link in the word "performance").

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
Trish
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
To get back to those two exceptions, let me finally paraphrase Frank Morgan to Spencer Tracy the year of Boy's Town: I didn't see Blind Side, Sandra, but you certainly deserved an award for that acceptance, both funny and sincere, spontaneous, emotional and, SASSY partisanship inclusive, genuinely appreciative of the fellow nominees. Plus, that was hands-down one of the night's best gowns, sheer old-school elegance. Loved it.

and how Mrs. Gummer, sensibly knowing it was not her night, endearingly elected to leave her gown at home and just wear the ivory wraparound overcoat;

I agree - i too have not seen Blind Side - but Sandy is always a joy to listen to live - she's always has just the right amount of reverence and irreverence - loved the remark
Quote:
I'd like to thank ... and my lover, Meryl Streep

However, I thought Meryl actually looked really beautiful - the white gown was gorgeous on her
whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Joe Vitus wrote:
Inlare,

Not sure if you know the answer to this, but considering the behemoth Oscar has become, and the fact that almost no one outside the categories nominated care about them, why is the evening show not reduced to Picture/Director/Leading/Supporting and maybe Cinematography/Editing/Music? The rest moved to afternoons like so many of the other technical awards? Has this been seriously suggested and shot down?

(and thanks for the Judy answser, by the way)
Personally, I like that Oscar spends a little time every year with the pasty faced mole people and the like. A chance to give the people who make the movies what they are a little rush of glory.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
lshap wrote:

2009 goes into the books as a good year for film, but it leaves us without the legacy of a memorable catchphrase or an iconic scene to remember it by.
Well, I thought, even though I did not see very many films this year, that it was a strong year, but of course, we differed on the movie I thought was the best of the year.

But even leaving out my love for the latest Coen, I think the You Make My Dreams Come True number was pretty iconic, as was "That's a bingo!"

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The copy chief at my last full-time job never fixed the wrong use of "lie" and "lay" because she thought it was fussy and elitist to insist on "I was lying down" when someone wrote "I was laying down." That was one of the absolute disagreements between us. A slip between "who" and "whom" I can allow, but not "lie" and "lay," regardless of the fact that nobody ever seems to get it right anymore.

Car, when reading the first paragraph of your post I intended to write about lie and lay. Then there was your paragraph above. I did find this mistake more prevalent in the US than Canada, but that may have changed with the younger generation. When I had several long stays in Brooklyn, virtually everyone used lay instead of lie including an older cousin of mine who was a writer. I see this mistake in TV series all the time. Unlike who and whom, that you referenced, lie and lay is easy to get right.

"I am going to lay in bed."
"Who are you going to lay?" (Hope that shouldn't be whom. Very Happy )
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Funny, I had lunch with a fellow out-of-work but very experienced copy editor yesterday and we were talking about our pet peeves. We both wince at the way people constantly say "with you and I," "between you and I," "join Jane and I," etc., not only in conversation but on TV and in commercials and even in movies (doesn't anybody copy edit these scripts?). No wonder everyone seems to think it's correct, since it's heard everywhere. But would they say "come with I" or "join I at the game"?

In point of fact, this is the only thing about Barack Obama that I have ever found seriously amiss. He says things like "with Michelle and I" and I wince almost audibly. Well, literally audibly. And I mean literal in the literal sense. (The misuse of "literally" would be one of my top five pet peeves if it were not so consistently hilarious, showing the user to be--in my view--a cretin.)

It literally makes me split my sides.

Last edited by billyweeds on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
marantzo
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
"What do you do?"
"I rob banks."