Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

marantzo
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
What do you know, we finally have a forum topic that isn't some kind of scholastic exercise. Thanks Marc, we finally got a topic that deals with emotion more than run of the mill critiques. And thanks Billy for the support. Every time Marc or I have suggested these kind of topics we were immediately flooded with topics that were mostly unimaginative. We are not in school anymore, we are in a psychiatric clinic and this kind of topic takes in all films and all directors and all genres all our hatreds and delicious disgust .

Speaking of films I hate, I have never seen Patch Adams for obvious reasons. Yesterday I was flipping through the channels looking for something in English. I came across a distinguished gentleman behind a desk lecturing someone sitting in front of him. I think it was the actor who played the father in Fargo. Then the camera went to the recipient of the lecture and it was Robin Williams dressed gaudily. The little scene made me cringe and I switched to the programme schedule to see what this horror was. Sure enough it was Patch Adams. Saw three minutes of it and I hated it.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
Gary--Harve Presnell is the actor you're thinking of, and, yes, he was in Patch Adams. I've never seen it either, and don't plan to under any circumstances.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Earl wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:

We should have a forum on films of the Aughts.

In addition to the other forum ideas Marc listed, all of which I like, I hope we eventually do this one. In fact, I'd love to see it done in the style of the Blanches.
I was thinking that as well; maybe have a discussion for a few weeks - to stir memories, grab unseen gems - and then some sort of nomination process for the Decade Blanches (or the Nancies?). I'd even, well, coordinate.

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
Gary--Harve Presnell is the actor you're thinking of, and, yes, he was in Patch Adams. I've never seen it either, and don't plan to under any circumstances.
My wife liked it. Closest I've ever come to asking for a divorce.

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
I rather liked "Life Is Beautiful." Begnini was good in a comedy that came along afterward, "Johnny Stecchino," but I haven't heard much of him since. (I'm feeling lazy and didn't check the IMDb, so my spelling may be less than precise this morning.)

Since even Alan Bates made a couple of "films I hate" (after he started doing films "to pay the school fees" of his twins, as he admitted), I'm up for that forum.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Marc
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I am waiting for Wade to set up the new forum. I messaged him but haven't heard back. Will contact Lorne as well.
Marc
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I contacted Lorne, Marty and Wade. It seems we need moderators who will respond to messages. The silence is deafening.
Marc
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what you gotta do around here to make contact with a moderator?
marantzo
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
I wonder what you gotta do around here to make contact with a moderator?

Well, for Lorne you can post that Jews run the media and tell the government what to do. For Marty you can accuse him of being a closet Mormon cretin and for Wade tell him that all queers are perverted whiners.

That should rate a response.
Marc
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Nah. I'm going after a defenseless woman.

Hey Marj! You're a cunt!

Moderate this, motherfuckers!
mirgun
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Let's do it. I think it would be fun. FILMS I HATE.

I'm in with the hate idea also.. People seem to be more passionate and vocal about the things they hate.(especially in NY) But will this include films we couldn't stand one more minute watching, such as Jane Campion's Fallen Star? I guess it will..

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Bright Star should have been called Fallen Star.
mirgun
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
For those of you in NY, , there's a tiny Turkish Film Festival going on through this weekend.The films are not in the the caliber of Fatih Akin's Head On (I don't think so anyway, I haven't seen them all ) but tonight I saw 'Mommo" a sweet and sad story about village life in middle Turkey, a sister and a brother, who's mother has died and the father remarries to a woman who does not want the children. The brother becomes the father, to his sister and she is everything in the world to him. A well made Turkish-rural-soap-opera..It 'was simple but moving little movie. if you're interested. here's the link
www.newyorkturkishfilmfestival.com

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Marc.........Just want you to know you are in the Hall of Fame. My daughter-in-law told me your song was her all time favorite......88 lines about 44 women. My son and I were checking the video streaming on my computer and I said go to YouTube and watch this guy on my film forum. When my daughter-in-law heard it........she said, "That guy's on your film forum?" Right away she came over and wanted to see your picture.