Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Marc
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Marc, how is off-topic chatter perfectly okay when it was you we were discussing?

anything goes behind the curtain and that's where I discussed my situation.

this site is called THE THIRD EYE FILM SOCIETY for a reason.

I don't want to argue. I am expressing my opinion, which I think is permitted. Correct? My points are to be taken for what they are: opinion, not demands or ultimatums.

Lissa, go see a movie.
lissa
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
When my current schedule allows me, I intend on going to see at least one movie. The Soloist got 3-1/2 stars in this morning's paper, and it's on my list. But it's all about juggling the other things I'm responsible for. Meanwhile, my DVD viewing is on hold till my electrician finally comes to install a super-outlet for the new surround-sound system, but I've got a ton of rentals to get and discuss when that's taken care of.

Thing is, I've enjoyed just hanging out and contributing to conversations when I can. If you're looking for a film-only, homogeneous community, I'll stick to Facebook with everyone else who's left here. I just don't feel any of us should have to defend ourselves for not having the time or means to see films 4 times a week to come here and discuss.

That having been said, I've followed the prospects for a specialty forum with interest and would like to see one formed as much as anyone else here. But there are bound to be ups and downs in the life of any online community - and a little tolerance for that is not unreasonable.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Well said, Lissa. Obviously, I agree.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
My points are to be taken for what they are: opinion, not demands or ultimatums.

That's fine, but when you say "I'm outta here," that becomes ultimatum--or beyond.
Marj
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
While I agree with Billy and Lissa, I too have been wondering why there have been fewer discussions about film lately. I have a few ideas. I do think the economy has taken its toll on some of us. We are either looking for more work or for some, work, period. This keeps us too busy and too broke to go and spend 12 dollars at a theater.

And the films out there, especially at this time of the year are usually pretty nondescript. While some of us have been catching up on the quality films that came out earlier this year, it seems almost too late to comment on films which have already been discussed to death.

So we wait and discuss what we can. And look forward to the promised forum to begin. I, for one, am looking forward to the De Palma forum. And I think we'll be fine without a moderator.

I guess "patience" is the word for now, Marc. And I do hope to see you take part when the forum begins. You know De Palma pretty well. At least you have some strong views on his work.

Last edited by Marj on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
lissa wrote:

Thing is, I've enjoyed just hanging out and contributing to conversations when I can.

As do I. I enjoy the personalities here more than any other place I've encountered on the web.

-Topher
Marc
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
billy,

I never said I was "outta here". I said I was returning to the land of the living; meaning I was returning to a more active internet site and film discussion there (Facebook). Having gotten my birthday wishes out of the way, I felt my obligation to the social aspect of Third Eye was complete (and I was being humorous). I also feel I've done my duty in terms of trying to rally the group around a new specialty forum. I have every intention of participating in film discussions here. I'm not drama tripping. I'm frustrated by our collective inability to make simple decisions regarding new topics . And don't blame it on the fact that there are no good movies in the theaters or the economy. The specialty forums are perfect for times like these.
Earl
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
A friend from a message board devoted to tennis passed this comic strip along, but you don't have to know anything about tennis to get a laugh out of it. A few of the dog lovers here might enjoy it.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
And don't blame it on the fact that there are no good movies in the theaters or the economy. The specialty forums are perfect for times like these.

Darn. I was all set to disagree with you on this issue and say that this is a slow time for good movies, etc. But I must admit that this last point you've made is a strong one. A specialty forum would be just the thing to fill in the gap between the hyper rush of Oscar season and the Summer Popcorn season.

Also, I'll repeat my surprise that a Brian De Palma forum is apparently not coming. After Bocce volunteered to moderate it, I was simply waiting for a viewing schedule to be announced. Next thing I knew, Bocce was talking about how there was no interest in it, which caught me completely off guard.

A Horror forum sounds like a splendid idea to me. (Carrie, anyone?) How many votes are needed to get one going?

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I'm interested in horror, too. Nancy's seen a lot of cheesy horror films, and sometimes pops up with one like Garuda (Paksa wayu), a Thai horror film that is rather odd with ripoffs of Aliens, or Snakes on a Train, which is firmly in the guilty-pleasure category.

I'm not so interested in DePalma because I dislike those of his films I've seen (except for The Untouchables) and now have a finger/stove reaction to him.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Not that I'll sway things one way or the other, but just this week I posted about how that's the one genre I don't enjoy. I just don't like being scared at movies. Or by them.

I'll read from between my fingers if this topic is a go...
Wink

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
And don't blame it on the fact that there are no good movies in the theaters or the economy. The specialty forums are perfect for times like these.

I don't either. Which is why I thought this would be a perfect time for a forum!

What I was talking about, Marc, were film discussions in general.

Lissa--I'm like you. If I have to watch a horror movie, I do so between my fingers. I like to take part in forums but a horror film forum might be difficult. Typing behind one's fingers sounds next to impossible.
Marc
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
Horror and cinema are the perfect match - both take place in the dark and both are the stuff of dreams and nightmares. Cinema is horror's twin. I watch both with eyes wide open.
lissa
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quote
That's all very philosophical, and I like the juxtaposition...in theory.

(but I still don't enjoy horror - watched The Others and The Orphanage with a full household of people, in the daytime, with lights on and the remote in hand)

Besides, I'm not sure mainstream video stores will have the old campy creature feature films discussed earlier this week, which leaves movies like Psycho and Freddy Krueger's filmography. I'll pass...
Shocked

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
DePalma? Horror? Damn. Here I was rewatching my Bresson in anticipation of us following syd's recommendation of a shoe film forum. I guess I'll have to leave my post on Bresson's influence on the Coens, and how the obsession with feet in No Country for Old Men reveals that Au hasard Balthazar is the key to understanding NCfOM for another time.