Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
lissa wrote:
The two horror films I enjoyed of late were The Others and The Orphanage (if indeed they qualify). Other than those, and the dearth of horror availability at my local Blockbuster, I'm out.

I really liked The Descent, Cloverfield, 1408 and The Host (if that qualifies; it certainly got to me.) The Others is a reasonably good pick. I haven't seen The Orphanage. Let the Right One In is a very good vampire movie.

We could do a whole forum on Frankenstein movies. There are tons of them.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I'll be branching our site out to South America. I'll be able to review all the Brazilian, Chilean, Argentinian, Colombian (if they have any), Bolivian, Venezuelan etc. movies for all of you to scramble to your Blockbusters to get. Are you listening lissa? Fuck those Koreans, Spaniards and Portuguese is where it's at, baby!!!!
marantzo
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Syd, does Frank 'N Furter count? Joe will be all over that one. Laughing
Marc
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
billy,

I love low-budget American horror flicks like The Party At Horror Beach.
If we decide on horror as the topic of our next forum, we might want to narrow it down to American horror movies. Euro-horror or Asian horror could be a whole other topic.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
billy,

I love low-budget American horror flicks like The Party At Horror Beach.

It's The Horror at Party Beach. Sheesh, what a Philistine.
Marc
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
Horror At Party Beach

billy, I know I know. I actually saw it in the theaters when I was a kid. Bad monster in a silly rubber suit. Bad rock soundtrack. Good fun.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
I just made a search for a horror movie starring Nancy Davis which was hilariously bad. I even wrote a little review of it back in the NYTFF days, but it is not on her list of film roles. I don't remember the name but I suspect that the Reagan's expunged it from her resume. I saw it one late night on TV. Does anyone know this movie?
grace
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
You don't by any chance mean Donovan's Brain, in which "A scientist keeps an unscrupulous tycoon's brain alive and falls under its influence," do you?

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=17516
whiskeypriest
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
marantzo wrote:
I just made a search for a horror movie starring Nancy Davis which was hilariously bad.... Does anyone know this movie?
I believe it is called "The 1980's."

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
grace wrote:
You don't by any chance mean Donovan's Brain, in which "A scientist keeps an unscrupulous tycoon's brain alive and falls under its influence," do you?

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=17516

No, this one was reeeeeeeal bad. It could have been made by a slighted polished Ed Wood.

Yeah the 80's would fit. Thought it was only funny for non-Americans.

Has anyone noticed that the 50's grade B horror movies always seamed to have good looking women running around in their underwear. They knew their target audience.
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
marantzo wrote:
I just made a search for a horror movie starring Nancy Davis which was hilariously bad.... Does anyone know this movie?
I believe it is called "The 1980's."

Touche'.
LOL!!

There was nothing like the b & w horror classics of the '50's. "The Thing" and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" come to mind. The dawn of the atomic age made us terrified of being wiped off the face of the earth...and it shows in the movies.
Oh...and I forgot to add 2 more favorites: "The Fly" (the original) and "The Incredible Shrinking Man," movies I found positively chilling.

Last edited by mo_flixx on Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
marantzo
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Isn't it The Incredible Shrinking Man?
Syd
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Gary: I think we'd need a bit more description of the film. The films listed for her on IMDb mostly have reasonably good reputations, although some of them don't have too many views. She was in Hellcats of the Navy, which was a submarine movie, but it's not that forgotten.

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Gary--I have this weird feeling that you're referring to one of the worst horror films ever made, The Brain That Wouldn't Die, which stars Virginia Leith as a disembodied head, and she looks a little bit like Nancy Davis. Could this be the one? It is indeed side-splitting.
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Isn't it The Incredible Shrinking Man?

ooops...I guess I was thinking that he becomes invisible after he shrinks enough.

Rolling Eyes

I looked for the Nancy Davis movie, too, and couldn't find it. I did happen to come across, however, some really glowing reviews of Ms. Davis' work.