Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Marc
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
the specialty forums become that much more vital when there aren't alot of great movies in distribution.
Marc
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
must give props to gromit for being an avid current film contributor.

As soon as I get out of the suburbs, I'll glut myself on films.

I just got around to seeing FROZEN RIVER, PINEAPPLE EXPRESS and CADILLAC RECORDS. I enjoyed them all. Tonight I'm finally going to see FROST/NIXON.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Joe,

I gave up my moderating duties a long time ago. I think Lorne and ehle are the only one's that create a new forum.

Here's a handful of noteworthy films that have been released in the past few weeks that are playing in most major cities:

SIN NOMBRE
AMERICAN VIOLET
SUGAR
THE CLASS
PARIS 36
THE GREAT BUCK HOWARD
TOKYO!
CHE
CROSSING OVER
SLEEP DEALER
LYMELIFE
SHALL WE KISS
SUNSHINE CLEANING

There are movies out there.

It so happens I plan to see Paris 36 soon. You might want to consider the time of year as well. Tax season is just over for that field, I'm steering my students into the final weeks of school (research papers followed by finals). I suspect this is a busier time than usual for lot of people here, as it seems to be that way for my friends in various professions in "real life."

-Topher
Earl
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
My Carrie post wasn't very long and I think it was over in Couch.

Also, both Billy and I have seen State of Play and commented on it. I think if either of us had liked the movie better we might have found more to say about it.

I'd be up for seeing either of two of the three movies at River Oaks: Sin Nombre and Paris 36. (Yeah, you're right, the previews for Sunshine Cleaning do make it seem twee.) Then The Great Buck Howard is playing at the Angelika. That's another one that draws my interest just because of the presence of John Malkovich. And if Marc hasn't seceded from the state of Texas yet, it would be great if he could join me/us for any of those.

Also, if about half a dozen people say wonderful things about The Soloist when it is released, I'll go see it. But right now I'm leaning toward skipping it. Maybe, though, I've just seen the trailer too many times over the last few months and I'm sick of it. It's like, "Sheesh! Not that trailer again. Just release the damn movie already!"

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Great. So I'm not the fastest typist in the world. While I was slowly tap tap tapping on my keyboard, you guys responded to most of my points before I even entered them.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The Pre-Code forum really got started around the beginning of April last year, and started fading around the time of the Olympics, except for some discussion of early musicals (which goes back to my original idea, a forum on the silent/sound transition, which would have been around 1927 - 33.) We could do a similar forum on the early days of film, say 1890s to 1915 or so, but it would get esoteric pretty quickly. A bunch of the DW Griffith shorts are available.

I find the Pre-Code a useful place to drop reviews for films for that period; otherwise they'd get lost in "Couch with a View" and there are interesting differences between them and the early Code period. I wish we had a similar forum for silent films. (If we REALLY wanted to get ambitious, we could get copies of Thompson and Bordwell's Film History: an Introduction, which has just come out in a third edition and track down the films for discussion.)

I'm not volunteering to moderate another forum; it's someone else's turn.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
Yahoo.com has an Earth Day animation on its home page.

Isaacism, 2009
Syd
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:31 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
And, appropriately, they've found the first Earth-like planet outside of the Solar System. That is, it's about 1.9 times the Earth's size. Another planet probably has liquid water. (Although, since Gliese 581 is a red dwarf, the planet probably has one side always facing its sun.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090421/ap_on_sc/eu_britain_new_planet

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
Syd, if I had druthers of my own and knew what druthers were, there'd be a Silent Forum, an International Forum, and the Regular Couch.
But I've proposed such before and it's not what folks want.

Have to say that I've contemplated dropping out of here due to the lack of film discussion. I also find the chit chat here kind of embarrassing. When there were more posts zooming around, I wouldn't even look in the Lobby.

A Specialty Forum might help revive things.
De Palma would be about my last choice, but maybe I'll learn something. If nothing else, it'd probably get me to finally watch Sisters, which I have had lying around here for years.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:50 am Reply with quote
As for Current Film, Billy is also a reliable contributor, often commenting on films early in their theatrical run.

I see about 40-45 new films per year, mostly because they are cheap and plentiful here on Dvd. Every year I've been hoping to reduce that number and improve my ratio of about 1/3 I like a good deal, 1/3 I find interesting or worth seeing, and 1/3 crud.

Not sure if I've seen any 2009 films yet.
Adventureland sounds like I'll try it.
Pretty sure I'll pass on State of Play and the 17 Again.

I'm looking forward to:
Where The Wild Things Are (Spike Jonze, 2009)
Whatever Works (Woody Allen, 2009)

Btw, State of Play was supposed to star Brad Pitt and Ed Norton, but Pitt didn't like the script changes and pulled out last minute. And the subsequent delays meant that Norton ran into scheduling conflicts and also withdrew.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote
Thanks, gromit. Marc thinks I watch too much television and therefore seems not to notice when I comment on a film. Just kidding (do I really need to say that?).

You are really cheating yourself by skipping 17 Again. It's not what it seems to be. It's a very funny comedy masquerading as a teen movie.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
I been leaning towards checking out 17 Again, myself.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:50 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I been leaning towards checking out 17 Again, myself.

I hope you take the plunge.

Of course, if you think Some Like It Hot is unfunny... Smile
lissa
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:17 am Reply with quote
I'd love to do a Woody Allen forum...he's evolved tremendously, as an actor and a filmmaker, and his films are widely available on DVD.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
So where is the DePalma Forum?
Color me baffled.
Can someone contact Lorne and ask him to crank it up? Isn't it that simple? Then perhaps a little guidance from the moderator or peeps just jump on in with posts.
============================
I have The Wedding Party (1969) around here somewhere. The dvd cover features DeNiro's mug prominently despite him having limited screen time in a rather minor role.