Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

bart
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
It's like the plot treatment for "Fargo," the second line: "Mayhem ensues."

BROWNSTONE -- READ THIS LINK

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/70/3/570S

It's about athletes and vegetarianism. Creatine is mentioned in the abstract.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Odd. There's often one or two meals you can never forget. For me, there was this, well, chicken pie baked in a gouda cheese round I had in a little restaurant in Oranjstaad on my honeymoon, and some pork back barbecue I had at a roadside stand in some indeterminate point between Malbork and Bialystok, Poland in 1997. Every so often, I'll tell my wife, remember that time...

I love food, but I've never become that attached to a particular meal. Oh well, different strokes. (By the way, we make a killer golubke with veggie crumbles instead of meat.)
whiskeypriest
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
grace wrote:
Quote:
Odd. There's often one or two meals you can never forget. For me, there was this, well, chicken pie baked in a gouda cheese round I had in a little restaurant in Oranjstaad on my honeymoon, and some pork back barbecue I had at a roadside stand in some indeterminate point between Malbork and Bialystok, Poland in 1997. Every so often, I'll tell my wife, remember that time...

I love food, but I've never become that attached to a particular meal. Oh well, different strokes. (By the way, we make a killer golubke with veggie crumbles instead of meat.)
Oh, they'll just love you in Poland for that.

Reminds me vaguely of the scene in Everything is Illuminated (book - haven't seen the movie) where the Hero informs his interpreter that he's a vegetarian. (Sausages? NO!) The interpreter tells the waitress the Hero has iritable bowel movements instead, to avoid embarassing him.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
I really think most of the vegan and (some) vegetarian way of eating is mostly political. Some like Marc sound like they chose for health reasons, which I think is perfectly acceptable. And to be concerned about animal cruelty is understandable and commendable.

But to think back hundreds of years ago when meat consumption was a big deal and not shuned for fear of killing an animal and being cruel. When I think of bein cruel to animals, I think of taking a neighborhood cat and dunking it in water.

This whole subject reminds me of the part in the movie Notting Hill, where Hugh Grant has a date over at his sister's house and she is a fruitarian and talking about the bowl of fruit and having committed murder.

I guess what I question is what is too much? At one point is it aceptable to eat and what? And for what reasons... health, concern for non-domesticated animals, ethics, hormone-injected meats...

whiskeypriest
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think of taking a neighborhood cat and dunking it in water.

Kentucky Fried Movie - "What's our little skeptic doing today?" "She's deep-frying the cat in pure Wesson Oil."

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
grace wrote:

I have a few meals that were memerable, mostly tied to other events.

Vegas gets two: a cole slaw at the Las Vegas Hilton back in the mid-90's. It was to die for. To this day, each time I'm offered cole slaw, I long for what I had for lunch that day at a press buffet at the Hilton.

The Alpine Village Inn: this was across the street from the Hilton back in the mid-90's. Their roasted duck was so mouth-watering. I've not had much duck since (Calif. Pizza Kitchen had a pizza with duck on it that came really close), but it's the same thing. When I hear about a duck meal, I think of that one. Of course, we were with good friends at the time and it was a good time for all.

New England Clam Chowder: at a little eatery in Newport, RI. It was made fresh each day and the first day I went there, it was all gone. I made plans to go back the next day earlier and enjoyed the best clam chowder I've ever had. And each time I have chowder, I compare it to the best.

bart
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
Vegetarianism is not a MOO-vement. It's just some people always STEER the discussion toward politics. As my friend, Bart S. would say, "Dont have a cow, man!"

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
grace wrote:

I have a few meals that were memerable, mostly tied to other events.

Vegas gets two: a cole slaw at the Las Vegas Hilton back in the mid-90's. It was to die for. To this day, each time I'm offered cole slaw, I long for what I had for lunch that day at a press buffet at the Hilton.

The Alpine Village Inn: this was across the street from the Hilton back in the mid-90's. Their roasted duck was so mouth-watering. I've not had much duck since (Calif. Pizza Kitchen had a pizza with duck on it that came really close), but it's the same thing. When I hear about a duck meal, I think of that one. Of course, we were with good friends at the time and it was a good time for all.

New England Clam Chowder: at a little eatery in Newport, RI. It was made fresh each day and the first day I went there, it was all gone. I made plans to go back the next day earlier and enjoyed the best clam chowder I've ever had. And each time I have chowder, I compare it to the best.
Oh, and that French Onion Soup at Kokomos in the Mirage... Ooooohhhh.... Oooohhhh....

LUNCH TIME!

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, they'll just love you in Poland for that.

Hey, the hubby's half Polish, and he says it's fine with him, so I'm kind of grandfathered or something.

Interesting observation about how sensibilities change over time, chilly.

I volunteer at a horse rescue (too poor to actually have one, so it's the next best thing), and have worked to get HR503, a bill preventing horse slaughter in the US for human consumption, passed. It's still in the works. Horse meat is very big in Japan (just ask Kentucky Derby winner Ferdinand), France and Belgium, primarily.

Once you (or more accurately, I) start thinking that horses don't deserve this fate, you start wondering well, why does a cow deserve this end? Or a pig? Or a chicken? While I tend to agree with Colonel Potter that cows aren't beautiful and a good ride, I have a harder time writing them off than he does.

The hubby doesn't have much of a problem eating meat, but he does (totally unscientifically, he admits) think the chemicals -- steroids, antibiotics, etc. -- that we put into animals raised for human consumption have something to do with rising cancer rates. Basically, his thinking is, 100 years ago, lots of people ate meat (though not our gargantuan serving sizes) at 2-3 meals per day (if they could afford it) and did not die of cancer. Yeah, I know -- the wild beasties got them before the cancer could. I said this was unscientific.

Hence our arrival at eating organic, free-range meat. I feel emotionally better about it, and he feels unscientifically safer about it.
grace
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(Calif. Pizza Kitchen had a pizza with duck on it that came really close),

Okay -- I'm sorry, but that is just not a pizza. Around here (I live outside New Haven), we call that an abomination.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hence our arrival at eating organic, free-range meat. I feel emotionally better about it, and he feels unscientifically safer about it.
With this logic, you should prefer road kill.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
Sturgis, South Dakota has a restaurant called The Roadkill Cafe. The food is nothing to write home about.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
With this logic, you should prefer road kill.

Damn! Our dirty little secret is out.
chillywilly
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
grace wrote:
However, now that it's fashionable to eat organic, and the huge corporations have realized there is money to be made in that market, the USDA is looking at "revising" organic standards. Which means that soon, since the government seems to work for those big corporations, organic will mean nothing at all; and if I want well-fed, well-cared for beef, I'll have to cram a cow into my condo's finished basement. Hope the horse doesn't mind.

I do agree with this. I think the word "organic" has become more marketable and selling it as a word instead of a product.

I think to ensure you get true organic food, you'll need to stay away from the big box stores like Wal-Mart and stay with the smaller stores. For me, this is probably the best way to send a message about your distaste for the explosion of organic foods.

marantzo
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Organic is a good way to gouge customers. The supermarket that I go to has good prices, usually, and I always bought my wild rice there, in bulk. A couple of years ago they raised the price and started calling it organic wild rice. The fact that all wild rice is organic didn't seem to bother them, or keep them from raising the price.
Quote:

Reminds me vaguely of the scene in Everything is Illuminated (book - haven't seen the movie)

You should see it, whiskey, is very good and funny.