Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Shane
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
So there!

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Wyoming's macho image challenged by film story of two gay cowboys
By Catherine Elsworth in Los Angeles

A film about homosexual cowboys starring two of Hollywood's most popular sex symbols threatens to distort Wyoming's macho identity, traditionalists say.

Brokeback Mountain, based on a short story by E. Annie Proulx, pairs Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger as a cowboy and ranch hand fighting their secret desire for one another in the 1960s.

Pardners: Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in the Ang Lee film
The film, directed by Oscar-winning Ang Lee, won the Golden Lion, the top prize at the Venice Film Festival this year and is already talked of as an Oscar contender.

But some residents in America's least populated state, home to only 500,000 people and famous for its ranchers, cattle and prairies, say the film, subtitled "Love is a force of nature", does the state a disservice.

Sandy Dixon, a playwright and lifelong Wyoming resident, told the Casper Star-Tribune that she had never encountered a homosexual cowboy and said those who knew "real cowboys "would dismiss the story as "hogwash".

"Don't try and take away what we had, which was wonderful: the cowboys that settled the state and made it what it was," she said.

"Don't ruin that image just to sell a book. There is nothing better than plain old cowboys and the plain old history without embellishing it to suit everyone."

... Chuck Browning, a champion rodeo cowboy in the International Gay Rodeo Association, told the Star-Tribune: "I have always considered Wyoming to be in a little bit of a vacuum.

"People are hung up on tradition and are not aware of what is actually going on."

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Obviously some people in Wyomin don't get out to their own bar scene.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Sorry that needed a ' as in Wyomin'

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
It's interesting to note how the residents are defining what a "real cowboy" is/was.

The play I'm in is set in Wyoming, and I play a "cowboy" named Del. One of my favorite exchanges in the play is:

Travis: Yeah, but the ladies sure do love the cowboys, don't they?

Del: Well I ain't a real cowboy, Travis. Let's get that straight right now. The real cowboys are dead. There ain't nothin' left but dude ranches and souvenir belt buckles. This ain't about cowboys. This is about you. Feelin' sorry and scared for yourself. An' I don't like havin' cowards for friends.

I also had to endure weeks of questions from my straight gym buddies asking me if the play would be "just like Brokeback Mountain." Dicks.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote
I question the notion that there are no real cowboys anymore. Admittedly it was about 15 years ago, but I was in a diner in Montana, a really small town called Miles City. In walked three real-live cowboys, no mistaking. They had been out on the range and looked it. No one but me blinked an eye. I don't know what anyone means by a "real cowboy," if it's some mythic creature, but to me that's a ranch hand. Maybe they pack a gun at home and not on their hip, but I don't think cowboys ever wore firearms while they were working anyway.

They're still around.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:45 am Reply with quote
I've been through Miles City a few times. Overnighted there once. Yup, thar are cowboys around.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
Then I guess my play is wrong.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
What's the context of the speech? It might be right for your character to say it.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
"What's the context of your speech? It might be right for your character to say it."

I don't know. I've never thought about it.

Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
I could see someone say it if he thought of a cowboy as embodying a certain type of lifestyle AND attitude, not just people who ride horses and dress the part.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
Cowboys take care of the cows. They are a specific type. Like wildcatter and seamen and lumberjacks and trappers and steeplejacks and circus performers and on and on. It's a way of life that defines them.
Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:02 pm Reply with quote
But the movies have defined cowboys in a much different way, perhaps because of the range wars that made cowboys into something more than ranch hands. The myth of the cowboy holds that they are a law unto themselves, independent, strong, and all American--whatever that means.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Lady Wakasa mentiond that Emma Watson wore a dress previously owned by Anna Mae Wong to the London premier of HP&TGOF. I had a quick scurry around and couldn't find a link to .jpg image or similar to insert here, but this is a link to a webpage with a picture.

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/photospecials/graph/051107harry/3.html

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Marilyn
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
That is really an ugly dress.