Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Kate
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
Just to be clear here Marantz, I never said I felt sorry for Merck, and I don't.
marantzo
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Kate wrote:
Just to be clear here Marantz, I never said I felt sorry for Merck, and I don't.

Sorry Kate, it was sioux.
censored-03
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Marilyn wrote:
Turntables are quite inexpensive. I still listen to and love my vinyl.
Ahh yes...a girl after my own heart!

"Just put the needle on the record!"

jeremy
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Marantz,

Its not that I have a problem with cheerleading in it's own right, what I don't like is the idea that with dozens, perhaps hundreds of sports and activities to chose from, girls are encouraged to spend their time providing support for boys doing the sports they enjoy.

The concept of cheerleading, indeed the American attitude to school sports in general, is fairly alien to most English people. I remember that when I keep warm and desperate for the game to end. It was big kudos if you could get a girlfriend to attend, especially if she wore one of your rugby shirts - we didn't have pins either.

Come the warm weather, we used to field mixed atheletics teams, so that was a totally different ball game, or rather it wasn't, but...

The above may be a clue as to why England is so crap at most sports it goes in for. played my school rugby, the crowd usually consisted of a couple of dads shuffling on the touch line trying to

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
marantzo
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I too love my vinyls. And I too lost many along the way. Some real rare stuff too. To this day I think, hey maybe there in (wherever) and I go dig around. Never are. I also lost my paintings and drawings that I did in Paris somewhere along the way. I guess that's what I get for moving around so often.
jeremy
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
THE ABOVE POST WENT A BIT PEAR SHAPED - TRY THIS ONE. Oh for a delete button.

Marantz,

Its not that I have a problem with cheerleading in it's own right, what I don't like is the idea that with dozens, perhaps hundreds of sports and activities to chose from, girls are encouraged to spend their time providing support for boys doing the sports they enjoy.

The concept of cheerleading, indeed the American attitude to school sports in general, is fairly alien to most English people. I remember that when played my school rugby, the crowd usually consisted of a couple of dads shuffling on the touch line trying to keep warm and desperate for the game to end. It was big kudos if you could get a girlfriend to attend, especially if she wore one of your rugby shirts - we didn't have pins either.

Come the warm weather, we used to field mixed atheletics teams, so that was a totally different ball game, or rather it wasn't, but...

The above may be a clue as to why England is so crap at most sports it goes in for. _________________

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
lady wakasa
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
jeremy wrote:
The above may be a clue as to why England is so crap at most sports it goes in for. played my school rugby, the crowd usually consisted of a couple of dads shuffling on the touch line trying to

Now we'll never know what they were trying to do!!!
marantzo
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Jeremy, my grand daughter has played for the soccer team for a least five years now. She does a whole slew of extra-curricular stuff. Cheerleading is a lark for her.

Cheerleading in Canada is not like it is in the States. It really is a pretty non-serious fun activity for the girls. And they really do like the sports teams. My grand daughter lives in the States though so it is pobably more serious than it is up here.
Kate
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
We hippies and freaks could barely tolerate cheerleaders in high school, the stereotype of them all being bubble heads was alive and well back then. I am being punished for that now, cause my daughter is dying to be one. This apple fell very far from the tree.
marantzo
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I played football in the various high schools I attended and the cheerleaders were all real nice girls. One time week to a 200 mile trip for an exibition game. On the bus home there was a lot of necking, heavy petting etc. between some of the cheerleaders and the players. I wasn't involved unfortunately. The next day in the coffee shop one of the cheerleaders said, "I just want you all to know that I never did anything in the bus that I'm not entirely ashamed of". We all cracked up. Just as an aside, that was the best game I ever had. On the way home Gary Bergman (who later became an allstar defenceman for the Detroit Red Wings), who was our quarterback, said, " Marantz, how does it feel to be a hero?"
Sadly, Bergie died about 10 years ago of a brain tumor.
censored-03
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
I was one of those hippie-freaks Kate talked about...but..I played football with my hair flowing out of the back of my helmet. (A fairly common sight back in those days). Nothing was more thrilling than hearing the hotty cheerleaders screaming: "Philip, Philip he's our man, if he can't do it no one can." And then of course it was Mike and David, Tom, Dick and Harry. Oh well, heroic for a moment!

Earl
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
sioux wrote:
In the end, I discovered that James Cromwell was born in CA, raised in NY, went to school at Carnegie Mellon, and apparently is so good at accents that I wa totally wrong about his origins. I might be alone in my dumbness, but my initial local survey says that Cromwell is generally perceived as a foreigner.

I happened to catch him a few yaers ago in a Barney Miller rerun. He played a lawyer who worked for a multi-national business conglomerate. He spoke 3 or 4 different languages in that one as his character used the squadroom's phone taking panicked calls from around the globe. I had rememered the episode from when I first saw it as a kid because it was funny, but it wasn't until the rerun that I noticed it was Cromwell.
Syd
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Lassie Come Home's being remade with Peter Dinklage, Samantha Morton and Peter O'Toole under the title Lassie? I'd like to see them do it with an actual border collie, but they probably won't.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks McBain.
Syd
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Well, it's King Kamehameha I Day again, commemorating the man who united Hawaii, and also the anniversary of when Captain James Cook discovered the Great Barrier Reef by the simple method of running a ship into it. We celebrate this locally by wishing Nancy a happy birthday. Doing the hula is optional.