Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

chillywilly
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
You look nothing like how I pictured you. For some reason I was thinking more of a very skinny white-haired Brian Keith in a Hawaiian shirt.

I pictured long brown hair, with brown leather pants and a demin jacket.... Laughing

So brown... was I close with the Rob Zombie resemblance?

chillywilly
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
BTW, Tim.. wanted to say congrats on the great performance.

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
chills:

Thanx.

"Nineteen sixty... fiiiiiiive, yeah!"

You're dead on.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
tirebiter
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:46 am Reply with quote
Marc: Don't try to compete with Flying V in the sexy posing department, man. He does it as a profession.
Marj
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:55 am Reply with quote
Billy wrote:
Quote:
Saw Brownstone's show today and gave it a standing O. The play is riveting and Brown is brilliant in it. He is a sensational actor.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me in the least. Congrats, Tim. I'm so happy for you.
Marc
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:21 am Reply with quote
Tim,

I took several shots of myself aping Flying V's promo shots. I decided only to post one. If I had uploaded all of them the guys in the forum would have been seriously intimidated. Mostly mcbain.

For the Flying V photo shoot I dug up an old motorcycle jacket I hadn't worn in years. If you look at the photo you'll see its about 2 sizes too small.
Marc
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:54 am Reply with quote
Oscar Without Glamour
by Scott Holleran
March 1, 2005

Show business glamour is gone, long gone. That was clear from the moment crude Chris Rock stepped on stage to host the 77th annual Academy Awards and received a standing ovation—for just being there. By contrast, one of the show's classiest hosts, the late Johnny Carson, received a polite round of applause after a taped tribute. Thirty years of a top-rated show and several Oscar telecasts, no ovation—one minute of one show hosted by a foul-mouthed cable comedian, instant ovation. Is it any wonder more people don't watch?

Not that it matters; Hollywood's elite is too busy inflating their own importance, that is, among those who attended (and most stars—Hanks, Cruise, Gibson—did not). Sunday's awards were dominated by a gaggle of shrill, red carpet mongers, twittering about something called swag (free stuff), bling (flashy clothes and jewelry) and the Academy's stupid new rules. Presenters were relegated to the aisles and nominees were herded on stage as if they were being lined up for a firing squad, not an Academy Award.

At times, the show reflected the drift from director Martin Scorsese's Hollywood—where ability can be measured by how deeply one cares about making movies—to actor and director Clint Eastwood's Hollywood, where you get noticed with a slew of squints, sneers and gimmicks in pictures that are typically tragic and really about nothing at all.

Yet another promising actor reminded us that, in the new Hollywood, one's value is based, at least partly, on one's race—not solely on one's ability to act. Best Actor winner Jamie Foxx, like Halle Berry before him (and many before her), transformed an award granted for an individual's performance into a statement of allegiance to his race, which is racism. This attitude is exacerbated by people like Oprah Winfrey, whose quasi-Black Panther salute from the audience is rock bottom for a guilt-ridden billionaire with more power than practically everyone in Hollywood. What a fraud. Cheering a winner for a characteristic beyond his control—race, sex, nationality—is among the ceremony's worst traditions—it is an insult to every actor.

Racism's corollary, multiculturalism—the idea that all cultures are equal—had time in Oscar's spotlight, too, with Salma Hayek, Penelope Cruz and Antonio Banderas celebrating a folk song sung in Spanish that was awarded Oscar's Best Song over superior work by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Glen Ballard among others. Million Dollar Baby's toothy Hilary Swank chimed in, citing her own subculture—trailer trash—as a claim on the Best Actress award. Someday, sometime, some lone actor will have the self-confidence to rise and say, simply, "thank you." And walk away.

Of course, there were the movies. Mr. Scorsese's The Aviator, whatever its flaws, was lavish, grand moviemaking about a larger than life subject—and that, apparently, was its downfall. Too little death, gloom and doom and not nearly unremarkable enough—the new Hollywood regards high aspirations, Mr. Scorsese's trademark, as showy and arrogant. There is no place for the exalted—only the downtrodden, preferably done with mediocrity.

Mr. Eastwood, like other conservatives, appeared content to have gained the approval of others, especially liberals. His Best Picture winner, Million Dollar Baby, seems to have dragged even producer Albert S. Ruddy—who produced Mario Puzo's The Godfather and once sought to make Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged—into what Miss Rand called "the cult of moral grayness," which in Mr. Eastwood's case means a bleak world drained of color, purpose and life.

We watch the Oscars for a sight of Hollywood at its best. While it hasn't been pretty for years, we keep looking, hungry for a glimpse of someone who sparkles with the confidence of having achieved something—something good. We look for our favorite movie stars, we root for our favorite movie, we wait to be moved, touched, humored—and, in that rare instance, enlightened. But, year after year, it does not happen. That's why Hollywood is losing its luster, in television ratings, in theatrical attendance and in general.

The glow of Hollywood's Golden Age stems from splendor on the screen, and that was replaced by unending assaults on both sense and sensibility long ago. Real glamour is gone. Increasingly, and encouragingly, so is the audience, which may cause Hollywood to give them a reason to return.
lshap
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:05 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
A few good points, but mostly a sour and sniffy rant, IMO.
lshap
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:09 am Reply with quote
But while I'm here...

Marc - You're one dangerous guy with a digital camera. Great looking store and hot looking babe. Hope both continue to bring lotsa' pleasure!

Tim - I'm thrilled to hear Billy's comments about your performance. Gotta' get me back to NYC and start seeing some shows featuring my friends...
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote
Here's an interesting tidbit I heard yesterday from the entertainment grapevine:

Chris Rock and Jude Law apparently share the same agent. In response to Rock's jokes about Law at the Oscars, Jude Law has fired his agent.

Jesus, take a fuckin' joke, people.

marc:

This competition you've set about with flying v? You don't want to win.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
Here's an interesting tidbit I heard yesterday from the entertainment grapevine:

Chris Rock and Jude Law apparently share the same agent. In response to Rock's jokes about Law at the Oscars, Jude Law has fired his agent.

Jesus, take a fuckin' joke, people.

marc:

This competition you've set about with flying v? You don't want to win.

Tim--Did you read that or hear it? In any case, it just confirms what I've always felt about Jude Law--that in terms of "taking a joke" he is just a Brit version of Sean Penn.
censored-03
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:39 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Chris Rock's joke wasn't true or funny..sitting through that schtick and Penn's reaction was painfull. I could care a less about actors senses of humor (off-screen)...I now know two that don't have any. Penn has always been a fortunate sourpuss.

lady wakasa
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Something interesting about the history of product placement that I saw elsewhere:

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050306/BUSINESS03/503060321/1029/BUSINESS
lshap
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:31 am Reply with quote
Lady W,

Interesting. I'm less offended by product placement when the item appears appropriately than I am by lazy juvenile writers who, it seems, are compelled to have the characters light a cigarette everytime there's a serious dialogue.
Syd
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
That Scott Holleran piece was mostly garbage.