Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  The 10th Annual Blanche Award Gala Presentation

Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't realized how many people died this year. I was sad to see Robert DoQui in that list. His performance in Nashville still stands out for me.

-Topher
inlareviewer
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Inlare,

When did the Acadamy go for the one-director-per-picture rule? Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins both got a statue for directing West Side Story. And it's still weird that Boyle didn't thank or acknowledge Tandan, isn't it?
1978, and yes, it's weird. Perhaps his Tigger bounce (reportedly the biggest reaction at the various celeb-studded parties-in-waiting watching the show on big-screen tee-vee) plumb jolted it out of his haid, or perhaps, after calling himself out over the omitted "Jai Ho" 'ographer, he didn't know how to address the Loveleen omission. Plus, by that time, all the Slumdog participants were on Cloud We're Gonna Win, and, frankly, he coulda just been a bit swozzled. The other inside news I got last night while waiting for it to be over was that the drinking this year was fast and furious, more than usual, and Boyle had an empty champagne glass about to be refilled in the press basement post-win.

marantzo wrote:
Quote:
...and if I were the Cyd Charisse heirs, I'd sue, or sump'n...

Thanks for reminding me. I finally recognized Cyd Charisse just before that little (in size and length), clip was done. And I don't blame Latifah unless the staging and the unending song were her idea. How they could keep giving her most of the screen while little pictures of dead industry people flickered off to the side is just mind-boggling. Who needed to watch her singing. We could all hear it, or is she supposed to only have a few weeks to live.
Ding-ding-ding. I don't blame Queen Latifah, but, um, she's Queen Latifah, and wouldn't have consented if she didn't want to but no, it's the producers' call. As with most things, you never know where you're going till you get there.

That was another big problem (besides the ill-chosen wommyns costumes and the whole Didn't We See This in The 70s? feel of the thing) with the Musicals are Back! number -- we at home simply couldn't see the montage upstage.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, Inlare. I think the Acadamy rule is kinda dumb, but considering the difficulty of assigning credit at time (for instance, Superman II is credited to Richard Lester, but Richard Donner is responsible for quite a bit of it), I can understand there are instances that probably lead to this decision.

-Topher
lissa
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Losing his dog and the award has got to be heartbreaking,

While it's sad that his dog died - and I can relate to that kind of grief - Mickey certainly had much to celebrate last night. Correction: he didn't *lose* the award. He just didn't win it. He was nominated and for someone with his career record, that is something everyone acknowledged and nicely done.

I don't see the sadness in his not having won; he was washed up and not a contender until he made The Wrestler. Penn's tribute to his return was stunningly eloquent, and heartfelt, and I think that's what should be toasted.

But that's just my lil opinion.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
lissa wrote:
Quote:
Losing his dog and the award has got to be heartbreaking,

While it's sad that his dog died - and I can relate to that kind of grief - Mickey certainly had much to celebrate last night. Correction: he didn't *lose* the award. He just didn't win it. He was nominated and for someone with his career record, that is something everyone acknowledged and nicely done.

I don't see the sadness in his not having won; he was washed up and not a contender until he made The Wrestler. Penn's tribute to his return was stunningly eloquent, and heartfelt, and I think that's what should be toasted.

But that's just my lil opinion.
And mine as well. Mickey ain't goin' away again anytime soon, lord love him, and Sean's shout-out made it as official as anything in Whollyweird ever gets.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
People are forgetting that last year's Best Director award went to two people, Joel and Ethan Coen, so obviously there's no rule saying only one person can get it. Maybe she wasn't included among the nominees because the directing branch didn't think her contributions to the film were major enough for her to be considered for the award.

If she had been nominated, she would have been the first woman to win Best Director at the Oscars.

People weren't seriously rooting for Mickey Rourke to win the Oscar because his dog died?

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Quote:
...and if I were the Cyd Charisse heirs, I'd sue, or sump'n...

Thanks for reminding me. I finally recognized Cyd Charisse just before that little (in size and length), clip was done. And I don't blame Latifah unless the staging and the unending song were her idea. How they could keep giving her most of the screen while little pictures of dead industry people flickered off to the side is just mind-boggling. Who needed to watch her singing. We could all hear it, or is she supposed to only have a few weeks to live.

I agree with both of you. Gary and Inla. I think when you sign on for a gig like this, you kind of go on with the knowledge that those in the know, know what their doing. How could she have known, especially since there are few rehearsals if any, how it would look to the home audience. Apparently those in the theater loved it.

But I do agree with Inla in that the constant rewinding of the song wasn't good. We're I the director, I would have faded her out and allow the orchestra take over. Who knows if that would have worked? But does the Queen have that power, even to object? I doubt we'll ever know.

And speaking of Cyd Charisse, when did Heath Ledger die?
Syd
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Marj wrote:

And speaking of Cyd Charisse, when did Heath Ledger die?

Before last year's Oscar ceremony. They honored him then.

I didn't see Anita Page, who died last September.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Syd.
inlareviewer
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
People are forgetting that last year's Best Director award went to two people, Joel and Ethan Coen, so obviously there's no rule saying only one person can get it. Maybe she wasn't included among the nominees because the directing branch didn't think her contributions to the film were major enough for her to be considered for the award.
Actually, there is a guideline stipulating one director per film, over which the executive board of AMPAS has the power to call an exception on a case-to-case basis -- happens with Best Picture producer accreditation repeatedly-- which is what they did with the Coens last year. They didn't do so this year, and hence the hew and cry over Loveleen. My guess: since she's credited as co-director in Indian release, not in American release, her work may have been considered somehow ineligible, or seen as pre-production/assistant-directing/analogous to second unit, which may not be fair or accurate, but that's par for the course with this crew.

Ah, Anita Page. I have a signed photo of her from Broadway Melody that she gave me when the revival cinema screened it in the 80s and she showed up, very frail but glammed to the max. Deep sigh.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I think Billy will appreciate this:

Quote:
For my money, Shirley MacLaine -- who seems to have embraced her life role as batty old lady with gusto, and suddenly bears a startling resemblance to Pauline Kael -- talking so earnestly and directly to a weeping Anne Hathaway, just as if a significant percentage of the globe's population were not listening in, was the performance of the evening.

And then there was the mee-rowr moment of the evening, when Nicole Kidman delivered her decidedly frosty so-called tribute to Angelina Jolie. I mean, I know Kidman is never going to win a World's Warmest Person award (except on the Ice Planet of K'Znorg), and I know that Jolie has displaced her in terms of Overall Hollywood Va-Va-Voom. But seriously, did she have to close her speech this way? "In 'Changeling,' your search for justice and for the truth, led with heartbreaking anguish and steadfast determination, reminded us all of the enduring powers of a mother's love. As one who would not let her son be forgotten, Angelina Jolie, you were unforgettable. Bitch."

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/btm/feature/2009/02/23/oscars/

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Joe--Thanks, thanks, thanks! Not only a well-deserved accolade for my fave rave Shirl but a put-down of Nicole Kidman. Two for the price of one!
Marj
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Joe, I think Billy certainly will. I know I did.

Hysterical!
Marj
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Durn. Beaten to the punch again.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Glad you both enjoyed it.

-Topher