Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Pay no attention...

Marc
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
It was brought to my attention that my name has come up in recent posts on Third Eye regarding my exit. Since I apparently failed to state my case for leaving this godforsaken place clearly enough, here's the skinny:

I invited my Facebook friends to come on board, but not a single person that took the time to register has joined the discussion. That tells me that there is something fundamentally wrong with this site. In my attempt to address the situation, I've been accused of trying to please my Facebook friends at the expense of Third Eye. That is absurd. I invited my Facebook crew to join Third Eye because I was proud of our site and I wanted it's ranks to grow. But, my affection for Third Eye was so personal and subjective that I was blind to how indulgent and myopic I've/we've become. Our site is not vital. Joe and marantz take potshots at Facebook without realizing that Third Eye is a tenth rate Facebook disguising itself as a film discussion site. In recent months, I've had terrific film discussions on Facebook, while Third Eye has become increasingly gabby and flabby. The true test of loyalty facing the remaining members of Third Eye will come when it comes time to pay the bills. As membership dwindles, the cost of maintaining the site will fall on the shoulders of a few people. Let's see how loyal to Third Eye Joe is when his share of the bill is $75 instead of $25. Joe has been reluctant to pay his share in the past. Let's see if he puts his money where his mouth is when next year's bill is due. Hell, it may come down to Joe and marantz footing the bill.

Regarding Joe's comments that I bailed because Third Eye isn't cool enough. Fuck that shit. I don't look to internet discussion groups to provide me with hip creditability. My music, the businesses I've created ( cultural hot spots), my writing, MY LIFE, is a testament to a life lived on the edge. I don't need to be told I'm cool, I know I'm cool. Joe's pathetic comments reveal more about his own mindset than they do mine.

Lady, Marty, Lorne, Lissa, Melody, Marj, Syd have taken the time and effort to suggest ways in which Third Eye can be improved. They have been met with either silence or the provincial whine of a few numbnuts who can't fathom change. Fuck em. Digital tumbleweeds are gathering at their feet.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:55 am Reply with quote
In fact, my opinions are identical to Marj's. Give me examples where we differ.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
Lady, frankly I'm exhausted just reading the last few pages of BTC. I've posted my input and my idea for an experiment. You say it's premature and we need more discussion. That's cool, but I honestly don't see where several more days of hand-wringing and arguing over minutiae is going to help matters.

And now with Joe poking the bear, this place is about to degenerate into something I have no interest in being a part of. "Intelligent discussion" indeed.

How am I poking the bear?

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
I've pm'd you, which I hope you will respond to. But how I am making this into a place you don't want to be part of is beyond me. My opinions are identical to both Marj'sand Gary's, and I suspect many others, including Billy. You have really, really hurt me with your post. It comes out of nowhere and I don't understand it at all.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
The above was to Melody. I was so hurt, I forgot to address her. I can't believe someone I've treated so well would treat me so shabbiliy.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:10 am Reply with quote
Marc,

I'm calling bullshit on your response to me. You didn't give we a chance to vote and figure out what direction you wanted to go in. You talk about specialty topics, but when I suggested one (based on a very popular figure) all you had were insults. Your Facebook friends didn't seem interested in us, so you aren't interested in us, either. That's pretty piss poor.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:49 am Reply with quote
I can't get over this. Melody saying that just hurts me too much. Of course, Lorne has refused to answer any PM I've sent him in over a year, and barely talks to me online. And these are two of the nicest people here.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong, hurting the forum, preventing it from moving forward, whatever. Which is not remotely my intention.

Make the site whatever you want. I wish everyone good luck.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quote
Come on, Joe. Chill. What she said wasn't any more out there than what a lot of folks say all the time. Unless I'm missing something horrible between the lines.
marantzo
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote
Basterds is playing here now, so I'll be seeing it sometime. I hope I hate it so I can be a majority of one. Very Happy

Change the site, don't change the site, it's not a big deal as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to see a lot of new posters, but that doesn't seem to happen. Are we that toxic?

Those long standing members that just vanished, puzzles me. No explanation. It's not like someone relatively new here finding that they don't like it and leaving. These were people who were here from the beginning and even from the NYTFF days.

Joe, relax.
Melody
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
Joe, come on. You're poking the bear and you damned well know it with your post about "Marc thinks his Facebook friends are really cool and rockin' and we aren't."

Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me you weren't trying to get a rise out of Marc. WHY you did this in the middle of an "intelligent discussion," which you seem to crave here, is beyond me.

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I think Joe has the insight about this. The whole issue of this site being stale, stupid, silly or whatever was brought up by Marc in the context of comparison with Facebook. It's nothing new for Marc to be frustrated with the site. He's got alot of energy and is goal-oriented. Anyone who has 1600 friends on Facebook.......well you know where his heart is. I'm not on fb and am not compelled to be. This place is the best place I know of for discussion. Maybe I'm a small town person at heart.

I see no problem in making a few changes.......but just because Marc's Facebook friends don't join in doesn't mean we have become invalid. I think the value of this site is it's history of people who have come to know each other and relax together off and on. Any problem I see here is when one person is attacked unfairly and leaves for good.

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Betsy--You're right about Marc being more into Facebook than Third Eye, but Joe took the insult too far IMO.
mirgun
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Well as a newbee, I can tell you what's been turning off some new people off the site.I think they expected the site to be about discussions about film etc. .. but found out that it's a closed circle and the comments on relevant films are interfered with personal comments or not relevant to the subject. They don't know who you are or neither do I , frankly..but I do get your drift.It seems that you're all too comfortable, with your feet up on the coffee table and there's no way to penetrate it.(not for me but maybe for others) it seems like this is a chat room with old friends ,sitting around , BS' ing. ( but they already have a better version with facebook so they don't need this forum to bullshit) It's like when you"re invited to a party and everyone is within their comfort-zone .And because of this, you don't meet new people.
I really don't think the site needs to be dramatically changed, just a few tweeks maybe. I just had to say something. Having said all this, if you want to keep this site as a "living room chat place"with just the few of you, that's cool too. I think you have to decide who you are, and be, before everything else..(just like love,life etc) that's all..
(pls excuse my spelling and grammar,I'm speaking from the heart and I'm a foreigner..ha! but true..)

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Befade wrote:
Actually, I think Joe has the insight about this. The whole issue of this site being stale, stupid, silly or whatever was brought up by Marc in the context of comparison with Facebook.

I believe it's also in the context of the maintenance fees that are going to be due in about six weeks. We've lost somewhere between 5 and 10 people. Checking last year's info (postings around January 5th), the payments were based on ~27 people (~$970 and $35 a pop), and some people covered others who had hit some rough patches. Even optimistically, about 20% of last years' base isn't around this year and the fees will be aruond $44. And, unless something changes, that's going to increase over time.

We've covered some possibilities about this - but unless we find a new ISP and move servers (something that would have to start *now*), or get new members in, the cost is just going to increase yearly. The ad thing Is another possibilitiy - but will take months to kick in - and if there are only about twenty-five people kicking around in here, the ads won't come near enough to covering anything.

All this has been discussed by several people. Marc started by bringing up the membership issue, but this really isn't just him throwing a fit.

lady wakasa
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
And thanks for that, Mirgun. You're probably in the best position to offer an objective view on all this.

(And I realize I probably just unintentionally insulted Marc, to boot *sigh*... well, I've got insomnia to blame for that. But he *is* the turd in the punchbowl...)