Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Pay no attention...

Syd
Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12892 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Earl wrote:
Syd wrote:
One thing that's not at all obvious is that you can post new reviews to "Third Eye Film Reviews," by sending the review to Lorne and having him post it and add a link on the first page. It looks like Lorne and I are the only ones who've posted there in the last two years.

Every once and a while, when he was still here and an active poster/moderator, Ehle would comment on a new review in the Current Film thread and then say something like, "Lorne, please add this to the Review section." A lot of times nothing happened and there was never a follow-up.

Frankly, until you just mentioned it I didn't know that the way to get something posted in the Review thread was to send it directly to Lorne.

Then Lorne reposts it, which is why it's always his name and avatar on the left (except on the first page). I always pm reviews to him, not e-mail.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I agree with Gary...and I don't think we have a problem. Yes, we're an insular group - but it was like that on the NYTFF too. People came and went and a core group remained. It works. It's worked for almost 6 years.

One (1) problem is that nobody comes here, because there's no way to find us.
and
(2) we've lost a lot of good valuable people recently -- Mo, Jeremy, Tire ... Melody only makes cameos, ehle has largely invisibilitated himself, even lorne is a spectral overlord who may or may not need defeating. Not to mention others who have left int he apst few years.

Over the past 2-3 years I invited 3 or 4 people here, but none of them bothered to register. I didn't ask why.

(3) A structural problem, imo, is the way that film talk gets buried by chatter in continuous thread. I'd advocated adding an International Forum, A Silent Forum, maybe even a Studio Era forum (pre-1960), to encourage more sustained film discussion but those ideas were shot down.

(4) the Search function is auto-set to Topics not Posts, and without knowing to change that, it works poorly. The Criterion.org forum uses the same/similar phpbb set-up and after their latest upgrade has Posts as the Search Default

(5) the This Forum Contains No Posts page flip is fairly annoying. Especially when you get that, his return and then click again and get that, forgetting to go the to the 2nd to last page.

(6) the charges are ridiculous. No, it's not a lot of money, but I don't pay for any other site on the whole freakin' intergore, the site fee here is almost equal to 2 months of broadband service for me, the amount we are paying is too high, and we aren't going to get new people to come in if we pass the hat. It's taking almost 2 years to maybe add ads and links. And I know that for some here, it is extra money they don't particularly have.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(4) the Search function is auto-set to Topics not Posts, and without knowing to change that, it works poorly. The Criterion.org forum uses the same/similar phpbb set-up and after their latest upgrade has Posts as the Search Default

That is a problem, And it's a little thing. Luckily I stumbled upon clicking Posts instead of the default, Topics, which should not be the default of course. Whenever people on here complain that they can`t find what they are looking for in search, it is always this problem.

That No Posts thing also infected Couch many months ago. It is annoying. I know zilch about constructing computer sites but it seems like something easy to fix.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Quote:

That is a problem, And it's a little thing. Luckily I stumbled upon clicking Posts instead of the default, Topics, which should not be the default of course.

Absolutely. "Posts" should be the default.

However, as to it being hard to find us, we are Googlable.
lissa
Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
Google returns our board as the first hit if the word "film" is included in your search. If you enter just "Third Eye", you won't get a hit.

The Search function here works fine if "posts" are the default criterion, but if something is entered but a sample search on "Tarantino" returned 26 pages. In order to see where he is mentioned, one would have to go through each link on every one of the 26 pages. Then, return to the search page for the next link. It could get tedious.

However, if Tarantino had a few related topics (i.e. Tarantino films, Tarantino writing etc), those would be much easier to search.

Using "topics" as the default is utterly futile - it returns all topics and one would have to sift from the beginning. If possible, it shouldn't even be a variable.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
Who would know to google us?
Actually I remember being on some business trips a few years back and having trouble finding this site when searching for it. Don't know if it's better now, but I think I found it by googling a poster's user name.

What I mean is the NYTimes forums brought in lurkers and posters. This site has no way of renewing its membership, except through invites as Marc is trying.

If you run a site with many threads, sometimes you want to find a thread with the name you type in the search engine. Then Topics is what you want. Here, with very few Topics, it's ridiculous.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I only recently figured out how to use the search function. It definitely needs revising.

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
We did drive the (Natchez) Trace, beginning in Oxford. The Ole Miss quad now has a statue of James Meridith. We remember those days in '62 like yesterday. We even saw mixed couples on campus.

We continued The Trace all the way to Vicksburg and then Natchez, where I think it stops. It is a beautiful ride - so much so that from time to time we got off, usually at a county seat, to see actual people going about real life things.

I wanted to experience the Trace as the Kaintucks and others had. As you probably know, they would ferry their longboats from as far away as the headwaters in Minnesota all the way down to Natchez, MS, where they would sell their goods and their boats and then travel on foot to Nashville, TN and points north.

I suppose if I'd wanted the purest purist experience, I would have floated down from Minnesota and then taken a month or so to walk the Trace. In the interest of time, I drove to Natchez and then drove the Trace the whole way.

It's one of my top three road trip drives of all time. I love that there are no stoplights, no stop signs, no people. Big ol' trees and interesting things to stop and see, if you wish, or just set it on cruise and let your mind wander.

I'm glad y'all got to drive part of it, even if you did it backwards.
Smile

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
There's more I'll respond to later, but the posts / topics thing is a default in this version of the software. It was corrected in later versions (and is one of the reasons I suggested an upgrade, as much of a bear as that's going to be).

chillywilly
Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
Aside from the Marc up and down, he makes a point, but in reverse.

It's not purging what's here that's the problem. It's adding more that needs to be done. And by adding, I mean split up categories.

Lissa posted a link to a Tech Support forum that has multiple categories.

Purging Behind The Curtain does nothing to add to this site, which if I were a new user coming here, I wouldn't give two shits about BTC.

As a new user going to a new forum, and if it's film based, I would like to see a break out like:

- Directors
- New Films
- DVD Releases
- Comedy
- Action
- Drama
- Silent

Even as basic as that, I think it would be a welcoming mat for new users to easily find topics. Plus, moving topics of discussion to those specific forums could really help in furthering conversations.

Having just one forum like Current Film could/would be overwhelming to anything coming here for the first time.

Again, none of these new users care about BTC. They want discussion and they want it broken out.

If I missed a previous post where someone already mentioned this, I give you credit.

chillywilly
Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Actually I remember being on some business trips a few years back and having trouble finding this site when searching for it. Don't know if it's better now, but I think I found it by googling a poster's user name.

I know someone found my home page and I had a link to Third Eye that guided them here.

Making ourselves more Google aware would be a good thing.

chillywilly
Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
And I see that Lady_W and gromit and Lissa all suggested what I did above.

Marj
Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Can I just say how happy I am to see Chills and Melody back here more often. You've both been so missed. Very Happy
Marj
Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
Aside from the Marc up and down, he makes a point, but in reverse.

It's not purging what's here that's the problem. It's adding more that needs to be done. And by adding, I mean split up categories.

Lissa posted a link to a Tech Support forum that has multiple categories.

Purging Behind The Curtain does nothing to add to this site, which if I were a new user coming here, I wouldn't give two shits about BTC.

As a new user going to a new forum, and if it's film based, I would like to see a break out like:

- Directors
- New Films
- DVD Releases
- Comedy
- Action
- Drama
- Silent

Even as basic as that, I think it would be a welcoming mat for new users to easily find topics. Plus, moving topics of discussion to those specific forums could really help in furthering conversations.

Having just one forum like Current Film could/would be overwhelming to anything coming here for the first time.

Again, none of these new users care about BTC. They want discussion and they want it broken out.

If I missed a previous post where someone already mentioned this, I give you credit.

This is also the kind of idea I had. And I agree that there's nothing wrong with the board as it is. But if we want to attract new members, which Lorne says we must, this might be the way to go.
Syd
Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12892 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I'd rather see a current film breakdown into wide-release, independent and foreign films. I find "couch with a view" more intimidating since it iincludes films that were in theaters three months ago and films from a century ago.