Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Pay no attention...

ehle64
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote
that's wierd, i never get any of that shit

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Nancy...........I received it and it was alot of overlapping type.............then I clicked "click here if you can't read it and I saw two avatars with Melody and Marilyn. I did delete it.............because I couldn't figure out what it was..............Do you want more friends?

I think I already have a lot of them -- including most of the people here. This is not the kind of message I would have sent out anyway.

Isaacism, 2009
lady wakasa
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
So now the phone company has said I can't get DSL at my location, either I'm too far, or they've reached order capacity or some other drippy reason.

This is a HUGE hassle, because the dialup just doesn't work anymore. It takes me hours to do things that should take ten minutes.

>%^<

Nancy
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
So now the phone company has said I can't get DSL at my location, either I'm too far, or they've reached order capacity or some other drippy reason.

This is a HUGE hassle, because the dialup just doesn't work anymore. It takes me hours to do things that should take ten minutes.

My friend near Seattle had to wait years for DSL to be available in her area. It kept going in on one side of her, then the other, but not the road she lives on. And the cable company kept falsely saying they could provide cable modem service, when they can't even provide cable TV. She finally has DSL. Still no cable TV, and she and her siblings haven't shelled out for a satellite dish yet. But at least she can look at stuff on the internet faster than I can.

Isaacism, 2009
Nancy
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
that's wierd, i never get any of that shit

Maybe you're special.

Isaacism, 2009
Syd
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I had DSL for a while at a special rate, but I discovered my poor old phone lines couldn't manage the higher of the two speeds, so when the special rate expired I went to cable at about the same price and DSL and upgraded to digital cable TV. The latter's not been much of an improvement yet, but I'll eventually add a movie package.

If I want a REALLY fast connection, I go to the University and get on the ethernet. That's how I downloaded DreamWeaver for free; OU's got a deal with the company and I qualify for it.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I had DSL for a while at a special rate, but I discovered my poor old phone lines couldn't manage the higher of the two speeds,

And of course, since I'm in the same building, I have the same crappy phone lines (my phone service goes out two or three times a year, sometimes for days). And I'm too cheap to pay for cable.

Isaacism, 2009
Nancy
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:

Same here. And when friends send me links to anything on YouTube, I probably won't be able to download it. Sometimes I pester Syd into showing it to me, if it sounds interesting enough.

Isaacism, 2009
Syd
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Nancy wrote:
lady wakasa wrote:

Same here. And when friends send me links to anything on YouTube, I probably won't be able to download it. Sometimes I pester Syd into showing it to me, if it sounds interesting enough.

And I've been pestering Nancy by showing her short subjects off You Tube, because somebody has to.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
And I've been pestering Nancy by showing her short subjects off You Tube, because somebody has to.

Well, yeah. And they have been pretty good.

Isaacism, 2009
ehle64
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
i really don't need to be "special" but it's true

lady-- sorry babycakes
(i just know you hated me for saying that, but we did make out @ batman after all)

Europa, Europa is on now.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
i just know you hated me for saying that, but we did make out @ batman after all

I must've had too much soda, 'cause I missed all that *lol*

Actually, Verizon is now saying I can get fiber optics, I just can't get DSL.

The problem with all this is I don't know enough about what's available to ask the right questions, and nobody's volunteering any information.

Heck, I need to get a train ticket and a plane ticket, I'm going to concentrate on that.

Melody
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Okay. Behind the Curtain is gone and now we have Behind The Curtain.

Nancy doesn't really want to Tag me after I spent 30 minutes filling out my freaking profile so they would leave me alone. (It looks like kind of a neat deal, if I only had time to play there.)

And now Lady W can't get DSL, even though she presumably lives in a Big Eastern City.

Listen, Lady, I live in the boonies. When I say boonies, I mean my nearest neighbor is a quarter mile away. Directions to my house include the words "watch for rock outcroppings on the unpaved portion of the road." Even I have some kind of DSL high-speed Internet thingamajig through something called a D-Link.

Know how I got high-speed Internet? I saw a tiny sign tacked onto a tree that said "Tired of dial-up?" I called the number, and it turned out there's an independent Internet service provider out here that specializes in folks who don't have cable or DSL through the phone company or satellite, etc. I pay $55 a month, but I have high-speed Internet and very few problems.

My advice would be to look for tiny signs posted in your area. You could also Google ISPs in your town/area and see what pops up. Ask your neighbors who they use. Something will turn up, I betcha. If it can be done in the Texas Hill Country, I KNOW it can be done where you are.

Good luck!

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
Wow. Okay. Behind the Curtain is gone and now we have Behind The Curtain.

Nancy doesn't really want to Tag me after I spent 30 minutes filling out my freaking profile so they would leave me alone. (It looks like kind of a neat deal, if I only had time to play there.)

And now Lady W can't get DSL, even though she presumably lives in a Big Eastern City.

Listen, Lady, I live in the boonies. When I say boonies, I mean my nearest neighbor is a quarter mile away. Directions to my house include the words "watch for rock outcroppings on the unpaved portion of the road." Even I have some kind of DSL high-speed Internet thingamajig through something called a D-Link.

Know how I got high-speed Internet? I saw a tiny sign tacked onto a tree that said "Tired of dial-up?" I called the number, and it turned out there's an independent Internet service provider out here that specializes in folks who don't have cable or DSL through the phone company or satellite, etc. I pay $55 a month, but I have high-speed Internet and very few problems.

My advice would be to look for tiny signs posted in your area. You could also Google ISPs in your town/area and see what pops up. Ask your neighbors who they use. Something will turn up, I betcha. If it can be done in the Texas Hill Country, I KNOW it can be done where you are.

Good luck!

Well, I do see signs on trees, although they're more of the "Lose Weight Fast!" / "Meet Other Singles" / "We Buy Houses" variety.

But I think you're right, there has to be something out here. There's too much money in these parts (although someone forgot to allocate me my share) for the ISPs to overlook providing service.

I actually think what's happening with the phone company is that they're trying to provide upper-tier services only (DSL only is middle-tier). I don't watch tv, and I don't save with a combination package (internet-tv-phone), so I don't really fit their plans. And I'm not paying $70 more just for internet service.

And funny enough, I don't know my neighbors. I'm only close to one of them, and I've never actually *seen* anyone there... The only neighbors I've seen are the cows. And they're pretty lazy...

yambu
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Ah, an opening for my mad cow joke:

One cow turns to the other cow and says: "Are you worried about mad cow disease?" The other cow looks puzzled: "Why? I'm a helicopter." ...