Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Election 2008

Syd
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Marilyn: The last I saw, Blagojevich's approval rating was 7%, which is still slightly higher than Bob Taft of Ohio was after he was convicted of four misdemeanors. He got down to 6.5%.

I think Blagojevich should go for the record. If he has a mistress or a gay lover (or a gay mistress), he should appoint her or him to the Senate. Failing that, he should appoint his wife or himself. The Senate would expel the appointee and Blagojevich would have the honor of being the least popular and most corrupt governor in history. Besides, the scandal needs some sex to keep up with Spitzer and McGreevey.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
When the McGreevey scandal was on-going, most of the reports would identify NJ as the most corrupt state, except for Louisiana. Illinois and Florida would likely be int he top 5.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
bocce wrote:
yambu wrote:
One gesture that seems to have all but disappeared is smacking the right bicep with the left hand while raising the right forearm in a fist, usually accompanied by "Fongoo!"

like most americanizations of italian (ie. "mannagot" for manicotti or "a minuch" for minchia), this one is way off the mark. the real expression is affanculo even if the intent is the same...
Interesting, Grom. I looked it up. Never knew it meant "fuck it all."
"Off the mark" is common when borrowing foreign words and phrases. Put enough of them together and you have a creole.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Marilyn: The last I saw, Blagojevich's approval rating was 7%, which is still slightly higher than Bob Taft of Ohio was after he was convicted of four misdemeanors. He got down to 6.5%.

Well within the margin of error. He may have beat Taft. I'd like a recount.
lady wakasa
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Man - NJ is corrupt, but we can't even come in first with that. *sigh*

carrobin
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Today's NY Times has an article about how the guy who threw his shoes is now a folk hero in Iraq. A quote:

As of Monday night, no apology from the station was forthcoming. Instead, the network posted an image of Mr. Zaidi, 29, in the corner of the screen for much of the day. Viewers were invited to phone in their opinions, and the vast majority said they approved of his actions.

Opponents of the continued American presence in Iraq turned Mr. Zaidi’s detention Monday into a rallying cry. Support for the detained journalist crossed religious, ethnic and class lines in Iraq — vaulting him to near folk hero status.

“I swear by God that all Iraqis with their different nationalities are glad about this act,” said Yaareb Yousif Matti, a 45-year-old teacher from Mosul, a northern city that has is contested by Arabs, Kurds and Turkmens.

(Wouldn't it be funny if this incident finally accomplished the impossible, and brought all sides together? And of course Bush would take the credit.)
tirebiter
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I understand Alberto Gonzales is doing speaking engagements at colleges and universities. I'm saving my money to pay to bail out all the students who throw their shoes at him.
lady wakasa
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
How do you spell war criminal? D-i-c-k C-h-e-n-e-y

carrobin
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
There aren't enough shoes in the world to deal with Cheney.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I've completely reversed my opinion about putting Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld on trial. I used to think we just needed to put all this behind us and not get mired in another Watergate. But Glenn Greenwald at Salon has caused me to reverse my position. Because the way lesser officials are paying dearly for what's happened while the people who instigate it get off scot free (and with lucrative futures ahead of them) is sickeing. Nor is it easy to understand how we make future leaders see they must follow the laws of our country if there's no penalty for it.

So I hope Obama starts procedings against all of them (and people like Nancy Pelosi, who were informed of what was going on and tacitly supported it). And they all go to jail.

-Topher
gromit
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
I think Obama should pre-emptively put himself under arrest to show how serious he considers these matters. And he's clearly guilty by association anyway.

Have to say that I was excited when Obama became senator. Especially after the Moseley-Brain fiasco. But was disappointed when the anti-war senator quieted up once in office. And from the primaries through the cabinet selection process, I've come to admire and appreciate the man more (his first book is impressive), but still think he's much more of a centrist than I'd like ("pragmatist" is the buzzword, but I'd prefer a pragmatist after the pendulum shifted back, not before).

Also, this is a very tough time for an inexperienced politician to step into.

Here's one take on Obama's pragmatism.

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:44 am Reply with quote
I have a similar feeling of disappointment (he's holding onto Bush's Secretary of War, the most troubling thing he's done). But I keep telling myself the man isn't even in office yet.

One curious thing. Though his seemingly more conservative persona should appeal to, well, conservatives, they are actually attacking him for it. Kinda schizophrenic.

-Topher
whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:42 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
carrobin wrote:
...and Obama leaning out the back of the caboose, holding out his arms and saying "Come on, Joe, you can make it!"

By the way, I'm thinking of taking up a collection to bail out the fellow who threw the shoes. Or at least to get him some nice Nikes.
Oh, forget him. He'll be whisked off to a black site in Bulgaria in the morning.

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I have a similar feeling of disappointment (he's holding onto Bush's Secretary of War, the most troubling thing he's done). But I keep telling myself the man isn't even in office yet.

One curious thing. Though his seemingly more conservative persona should appeal to, well, conservatives, they are actually attacking him for it. Kinda schizophrenic.

Who do you mean?
Do you mean Richard Clarke? Clarke also worked in the Clinton administration. I just watched footage of Clarke in the CBC (Canadian) doc. "The Secret History of 9/11." [That particular doc. is NOT a conspiracy film, rather it demonstrates that the U.S. had reliable intelligence dating from the mid-90's that 9/11 types of events were being planned.] I found the footage of Clarke impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_A._Clarke
carrobin
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
My mother just sent me this item that a friend sent to her--pretty funny, I thought.

Dear Fellow Constituent:

The George W Bush Presidential Library is now in the planning stages and accepting donations.

The Library will include:

The Hurricane Katrina Room, which is still under construction.

The Alberto Gonzales Room, where you won't be able to remember anything.

The Texas Air National Guard Room, where you don't even have to show up.

The Walter Reed Hospital Room, where they don't let you in.

The Guantanamo Bay Room, where they don't let you out.

The Weapons of Mass Destruction Room, which no one has been able to find.

The National Debt Room, which is huge and has no ceiling.

The Tax Cut Room, with entry only to the wealthy.

The Economy Room, which is in the toilet.

The Iraq War Room. (After you complete your first visit, they make you to go back for a second, third, fourth, and sometimes fifth visit.)

The Dick Cheney Room, in the famous undisclosed location, complete with shotgun gallery.

The Environmental Conservation Room, still empty.

The Supreme Gift Shop, where you can buy an election.

The Airport Men's Room, where you can meet some of your favorite Republican Senators.

The Decider Room, complete with dart board, magic 8-ball, Ou ija board, dice, coins, and straws.

Note: The library will feature an electron microscope to help you locate and view the President's accomplishments.