Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Election 2008

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Who's the Dem and Rep.

Chamblliss is the Republican. Martin is...you do the math.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I just left a message for Dylan asking if he were voting.
yambu
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
grace wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:
So grace and Gary --
Do you agree that a deal was brokered before the Dem. Convention, that Obama would nominate Hillary as Sec'y. of State in return for her votes?

Yeah...it's a fact of life that deal making goes on. But did this particular deal happen?

That's what I'd like to know.

I have no way of knowing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
When he announced her appointment, a reporter asked for the details that led to his choice. All he would say was that it was no sudden revelation. He refused to be any more specific.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Just got a phone call back from my son and he was on his way to vote. For Martin. He said that his wife phoned him to remind him to vote. He had to shut off his cell phone as he entered the booth to vote.

Reporting from election central in Decatur Georgia.
gromit
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A Democrat who would know tells ABC News that New York governor David Paterson has talked to Caroline Kennedy about taking the seat, which was once held by her uncle, Robert F. Kennedy.

Interesting speculation.
Also, in light of the fact that Teddy isn't likely to remain for too many more years, it could usher in a family/generational change.
Caroline Kennedy has been an Obama confidante.

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
http://tinyurl.com/5tdb2r

Eloquent statement by Bill Ayers in today's NYTimes.
Marj
Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that, Billy. I respect him for keeping quiet until after the election.
Syd
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12895 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I'm glad to see Republicans and Democrats (a lot of Democrats, anyway) in Louisiana coming together and finally kicking William Jefferson out of Congress. It's the happiest I've been with a Republican victory in quite a while.

The new guy is the first Vietnamese-American ever in Congress and the district is heavily black and very strongly Democratic. It's probably the biggest upset of the year despite Jefferson's corruption. Now they can send him to jail where he belongs.

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Got a chuckle out of Obama on Meet the Press yesterday. At the end of the interview Brokaw said he'd seen the interview Obama gave to Barbara Walters and noted that, when Walters tried to pin Obama down about whether he had quit smoking or not, Obama "ducked the question." So Brokaw gave it a shot. He reminded Obama that the White House is a "No Smoking" building. While Obama admitted that he had "fallen off the wagon" a few times, he ended with, "You won't see any violations of that policy." Not, "The policy won't be violated," but rather, "You won't catch me," or words to that effect. Priceless.

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I find it strange that the White House is 100% non-smoking. I'd think there'd be at least one room for V.I.P.'s to retire to after dinner for a fine cigar.
yambu
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
How 'bout the China Room. They smoke a lot.
gromit
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
I find it strange that the White House is 100% non-smoking. I'd think there'd be at least one room for V.I.P.'s to retire to after dinner for a fine cigar.

With or without an intern?

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
That's digusting. AND a PISSER!
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
They're all in Springfield smoking their cigars. To those who wondered why I was and remain skeptical about the Hope and Change train, this just in:

From Breaking News

Quote:
December 9, 8:48 a.m.Gov. Rod Blagojevich and his chief of staff, John Harris, were arrested today by FBI agents on federal corruption charges.

Blagojevich and Harris were accused of a wide-ranging criminal conspiracy that included Blagojevich conspiring to sell or trade the Senate seat left vacant by President-elect Barack Obama in exchange for financial benefits for the governor and his wife. The governor was also accused of obtaining campaign contributions in exchange for other official actions.

On the issue of the U.S. Senate selection, federal prosecutors alleged Blagojevich sought appointment as Secretary of Health and Human Services in the new Obama administration, or a lucrative job with a union in exchange for appointing a union-preferred candidate. An Obama spokesman had no immediate comment.

Blagojevich and Harris conspired to demand the firing of Chicago Tribune editorial board members responsible for editorials critical of Blagojevich in exchange for state help with the sale of Wrigley Field, the Chicago Cubs baseball stadium owned by Tribune Co.

Blagojevich and Harris, along with others, obtained and sought to gain financial benefits for the governor, members of his family and his campaign fund in exchange for appointments to state boards and commissions, state jobs and state contracts.

"The breadth of corruption laid out in these charges is staggering," U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said in a statement. "They allege that Blagojevich put a 'for sale' sign on the naming of a United States senator; involved himself personally in pay-to-play schemes with the urgency of a salesman meeting his annual sales target; and corruptly used his office in an effort to trample editorial voices of criticism."

Blagojevich also was alleged to be using a favors list, made up largely of individuals and firms that have state contracts or received taxpayer benefits, from which to conduct a $2.5 million fundraising drive before year's end.

Even Blagojevich's recently announced $1.8 billion plan for new interchanges and "green lanes" on the Illinois Tollway was subject to corruption, prosecutors alleged.

The complaint repeatedly makes reference to conversations secretly recorded by federal authorities.

The criminal complaint alleges Blagojevich expected an unnamed highway concrete contractor to raise a half-million dollars for his campaign fund in exchange for state money for the tollway project. "If they don't perform, (expletive) 'em," Blagojevich said, according to the complaint.

Note that the governor who preceded Blago, George Ryan, is currently doing time on corruption charges. Senator Dick Durbin is lobbying President Bush to pardon the former governor.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Right, Marilyn - I just saw this and I was wondering about your take on it - but Obama himself seems to be outside of it. He hasn't been appointing a bunch of Illinois insiders (the only one I've heard of is Emmanuel), and any benefits are not directly tied to him.

He's from Chicago, true; but could have have distanced himself enough to stay out of most of it?