Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Election 2008

jeremy
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Smile

I never emote, which makes this the exception that proves the rule.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
Smile

I never emote, which makes this the exception that proves the rule.

ROTFWL.

Last week you said you were good in bed. I'll never understand those limeys. Good in bed but doesn't emote.

Shocked
carrobin
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Just chatted on the phone with a distant cousin who used to live in NYC but recently retired and moved back to SC, and when she said she spends all day listening to talk radio, I knew what was coming (she's from the rock-ribbed Republican side of the family). We usually don't mention politics, knowing we disagree violently, but I had thought she'd at least be anti-Palin because she's always loved wildlife, but no. The subject of the financial crisis came up and she said "that rabbit in an empty suit is going to take all our money and give it to the poor people." And this is a college graduate who worked in Manhattan for more than 40 years. I asked where she had heard such a thing, and she said the radio of course, and he'd told it to Joe the Plumber himself. I asked if she really intends to vote for Palin the wolfkiller and she said Palin's her favorite of all the candidates. So we wrapped up the call before things got any more incendiary. But honestly, it's hard to believe some people are so deliberately dumb.
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Just chatted on the phone with a distant cousin who used to live in NYC but recently retired and moved back to SC, and when she said she spends all day listening to talk radio, I knew what was coming (she's from the rock-ribbed Republican side of the family). We usually don't mention politics, knowing we disagree violently, but I had thought she'd at least be anti-Palin because she's always loved wildlife, but no. The subject of the financial crisis came up and she said "that rabbit in an empty suit is going to take all our money and give it to the poor people." And this is a college graduate who worked in Manhattan for more than 40 years. I asked where she had heard such a thing, and she said the radio of course, and he'd told it to Joe the Plumber himself. I asked if she really intends to vote for Palin the wolfkiller and she said Palin's her favorite of all the candidates. So we wrapped up the call before things got any more incendiary. But honestly, it's hard to believe some people are so deliberately dumb.

Does she use the internet. Can't you send her to some of the sites that calculate the tax decreases for folks under Obama? Does she make over $250K (couple) per year?
jeremy
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I know a lot depends on how the discussion is framed, but why is the idea of helping poor people such an anathema.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
I know a lot depends on how the discussion is framed, but why is the idea of helping poor people such an anathema.

They should all be exterminated, of course.

Rolling Eyes
carrobin
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote
She doesn't have a computer--she's practically legally blind, so she's never had one. And if she did, she'd only read the anti-Obama sites.

Of course she thinks it's going to be her money that Obama wants to give to poor people. There was no way I could give her any facts--she had "the truth" from the talk radio freaks. The last time politics entered our conversation, she didn't talk to me for two years (it was Clinton that time). There's no way to argue with her. But I was really surprised when she said she had no problem with voting for wolfkiller woman.
Nancy
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
There's some new stuff on Palinaspresident.com, including a great many things named "Joe."

Isaacism, 2009
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
She doesn't have a computer--she's practically legally blind, so she's never had one. And if she did, she'd only read the anti-Obama sites.

Of course she thinks it's going to be her money that Obama wants to give to poor people. There was no way I could give her any facts--she had "the truth" from the talk radio freaks. The last time politics entered our conversation, she didn't talk to me for two years (it was Clinton that time). There's no way to argue with her. But I was really surprised when she said she had no problem with voting for wolfkiller woman.

You know, I am struck by how truly sad this is. I believe if she didn't have the eye problem she might not be so dependent on right-wing talk radio. She might be able to use a computer. Maybe she would see the light.

This woman must be made aware of the real tax consequences to her with an Obama presidency. That's the only answer.

The real question is how to do it. I've come across 3 internet sites myself that will compute the new taxes. Is she making the big bucks? Then she might be affected.

Last edited by mo_flixx on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
tirebiter
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
carrobin: Your distant cousin is reassured by what she hears on talk radio because it reifies her own beliefs. I have a brother-in-law who listens to Rush Limbaugh every day. The whole show. For him-- and for your cousin-- the world makes sense when viewed through that lens. They don't see it as racist or fear-mongering or hateful. They only hear an explanation of events that makes sense to them, and they only wish to hear more of what they already believe.

I'd boast about my own superiority, but I spend all my time at Daily Kos and Eschaton and Crooks & Liars reifying my own beliefs.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quote
tirebiter wrote:

I'd boast about my own superiority, but I spend all my time at Daily Kos and Eschaton and Crooks & Liars reifying my own beliefs.

And still others hang out with Jon Stewart or Steve Colbert and laugh themselves silly at the whole damn mess.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:29 am Reply with quote
tirebiter wrote:
carrobin: Your distant cousin is reassured by what she hears on talk radio because it reifies her own beliefs. I have a brother-in-law who listens to Rush Limbaugh every day. The whole show. For him-- and for your cousin-- the world makes sense when viewed through that lens. They don't see it as racist or fear-mongering or hateful. They only hear an explanation of events that makes sense to them, and they only wish to hear more of what they already believe.

And I with MSNBC and Huffington Post. It's called "cocooning." No joke, that's what they call Fox News and MSNBC.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

And I with MSNBC and Huffington Post. It's called "cocooning." No joke, that's what they call Fox News and MSNBC.

Faux News.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
A couple of friends told me that early voting in Taos took 1/2 hour last week at the out-of-the-way polling place. Not so bad, I guess.

The Clerk who's running (unopposed) for Re-Election was there. Now GARY, do you know - we all agreed she shouldn't have been there. Isn't that a violation of campaigning w/in 100 ft. of a polling place?

I don't know what the American rules are, but I suspect that they may be different from state to state or even county to county, like the different ballot systems, but in Canada the rule is either within 100 yards or 500 feet. I threw out my Election Canada rules sheets just the other day or I could look it up. candidates do go to the polls to vote but I doubt if they are allowed to hang around. Maybe if you are unopposed, nobody cares, except maybe write in voters. The elections officer at the polling station should surely have done something if it were against the rules.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
New Mexico makes Greg Palast and RFK Jr.'s comic about states that block the vote. Here's a link to the "Taos News" story.

http://taosnews.com/articles/2008/10/28/news/doc4906265e77879259976816.txt