Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Election 2008

Melody
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
Well, Joe, I think the REAL trouble is that you want Walsh to be 110 percent on your team, and she refuses to play. I would think you'd be jumping for joy she's finally "seen the light" and is giving Obama his brightly colored day in the Salon sun.

I won't be able to stay up late enough to one-up your last-wordism, so I freely gift it to you.

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
I didn't expect you to take the low road.

I read her regularly. Do you? I've been following the coverage at Salon for quite a while. Have you? Can you contradict any of the claims I've made about the nature of Salon's coverage, it's choice of imagery, or what gets left off the front page? It's interesting that you choose to go after my character rather than respond in terms of her coverage, and her site's coverage, of this race.

In your very first response to me you've chosen to be insulting. Nice to know your on the attack. I guess I can take it for granted that the way you read the news and post here will continue to come from that perspective.

I haven't belittled your responses in a similar way. There's no "well, you just love, love, love Hillary so you refuse to see it" in my post. I give you the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for not responding in kind.

Have I ever, in any post, on any topic, treated you so derisively? Thanks a bunch.

-Topher
Ghulam
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
Rev.Wright, by making an issue of himself, is stealing the thunder from Karl Rove and the Swiftboaters . And he is doing it in April, instead of in October, which would have been the preferred month of the wrecking crew.
gromit
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
Well, Joe, your reading skills are in doubt.

Yambu posted two rather easily understood sentences:

Yambu wrote:
As if Obama didn't have enough problems this week, the US Supreme Court today ruled it was ok for Indiana to require government photo IDs from voters. This is effective immediately, and lots of blacks won't have the means, or even the time, to get IDs by next Tuesday.

And you come back with:

Joe Vitus wrote:

My questions are 1) how long ago was this ruling made, and 2) how long does it take to recieve it. I think a driver's liscense takes 3-4 four weeks to arrive in the mail.

&
Joe Vitus wrote:
Syd wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:
I can understand why, depending on where you live, you would not have a driver's liscence. But I'm more perplexed by the lack of a Social Security card. You can't get a job without it, and you often have to write the number down when you apply. It's a little hard for me to believe that a large number of blacks in Indiana don't have one. I support the legislature legislature in this case. Prevention of voter fraud is important, and how can you do this unless proof is offered?

My Social Security Card doesn't have a photograph on it. The Indiana law requires a photo ID.

I missed the part about "photo ID." I see the problem. Not sure what I think. I understand the issue of voter fraud, but the photo ID is more problematic.

Maybe there should be a literacy test before you can post in the Election Forum.

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
You reversed my quotes (which makes them sound more illogical) and ignore the time lag between them. But go ahead and be an asshole to me when I'm already pissed off. Thanks.

-Topher
Melody
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
Joe, I've been working since 8:30 a.m. (have you?) so I'm a little frazzled, but I have no idea why you're seeing my response (not my first response, by the way) as a personal attack. It's not. I was trying, apparently unsuccessfully, to end on a lighter note referencing your well-known and oft-talked-about penchant for having the last word. I sincerely apologize for hurting your feelings.

Yes, I read Salon regularly. No, I don't read Joan Walsh regularly; only when a headline catches my eye. Earlier I did a quick search on the Salon site and came up with quite a few articles critical of Hillary and her campaign team. I saw a photo accompanying a front-page article with Obama in the foreground and Hillary peeking over his shoulder. I saw several split-screen type photos with both of them looking serious.

I've gone to the trouble to post links and excerpts to three different articles in Salon in the last couple of days that have gone out of their way to be fair to Obama and Rev. Wright.

What have you given me? Broad generalities and impressions of how you think Salon is pro-Hillary. Where are the links? I'm not denying your claims. I'll be happy to read any links you post proving your point.

But ... it'll have to wait until next week. I'm off to the Marfa Film Festival in beautiful west Texas, where they will be showing There Will Be Blood on a huge inflatable movie screen outdoors on the set of TWBB before it's torn down. I am SO in need of a mini-vacation.

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:35 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
Rev.Wright, by making an issue of himself, is stealing the thunder from Karl Rove and the Swiftboaters . And he is doing it in April, instead of in October, which would have been the preferred month of the wrecking crew.

if you are implying that this is a good thing, i'm not so sure...
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am Reply with quote
The most important thing about Wright at the moment is how Obama responds. Barack is up against it, there's no question. If he "throws Wright under the bus" he takes the chance of alienating a large portion of his African-American constituency who admire Wright. If he doesn't further distance himself in some way he appears to be a wimp or--worse--an Eastern seaboard college professor.

On the other hand, the media has gone bananas, acting once again as though all Wright is is narcissistic, angry, spiteful, out of his gourd, etc., etc., etc.

Wright is egocentric, no doubt, but he has a lot of good points to make, and the wild media response is borderline racist.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
Here is perhaps the best, most even-handed criticism of Wright I've seen so far, and not coincidentally it's from one of the finest journalists in today's world, the marvelous MSNBC regular Eugene Robinson (who btw is African-American but not a professional black man).

http://tinyurl.com/3ls2h9
tirebiter
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
It doesn't matter what Wright says or does. The RNC already has its soundbite, and they can work it. If he says anything else they can use, they will. He could be out curing lepers and raising the dead and it wouldn't make a difference to their base and the people they're trying to convince: he's BLACK and he's ANGRY! And he's Obama's BEST FRIEND! That's all that matters.

Re. the Indiana thing, it's so transparently political that it's actually funny. "Voter fraud" is almost nonexistent statistically and legally, but it's been a great way to disenfranchise Democratic voters, who tend to be poorer. If you can't afford a car, you don't have a driver's license. Passport? Forget it. And it costs money to get a state ID. Who will be affected? Maybe 1% of the electorate-- but that 's the difference in lots of elections, and these people skew heavily Democratic.

Let's hear it for Karl Rove! He's the guy who's been pushing the "voter fraud" meme for the last three election cycles-- his work bears fruit when the Rs need it most!
marantzo
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote
I've worked in polling stations many times and when someone comes in to vote, he/she tells you his/her name and you cross it off the list of voters and that's it. If someone didn't make the list you swear them in on a bible or not depending on their opinion about God etc. And when an election is taking place there are government volunteers who go around all the neighbourhoods registering voters. And there is a list prepared where you can check to see if you are registered. The American system makes it much more difficult for people to get registered to vote.

If anyone remembers I wrote several posts shortly after Obama's speech about the Rev., stating that it was a huge mistake that he didn't outright dissociate himself from Wright. It was politically naive of him to thing that he could dance around it and that it might not be a major problem for him down the road. And I'd venture to say that it has become a major problem for his campaign. I have the feeling now, from what's been said by some of his staff recently, that surely some of them advised him to sever any ties with Rev. Wright. I think that Barack may have been a little too impressed with his reviews and made a mistake in judgement that may sink him. Time will tell if my political judgement is as good as I think it is. I tend to be impressed with my reviews of myself. LOL
yambu
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
.....I'm off to the Marfa Film Festival in beautiful west Texas, where they will be showing There Will Be Blood on a huge inflatable movie screen outdoors on the set of TWBB before it's torn down......
Mel, where in West Texas? In the 60's, I was pretty familiar with Big Spring and Lubbock, also Wichita Falls up toward the Panhandle. I think The Last Picture Show was situated near there.
Ghulam
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Rev.Wright cannot be swept under the rug. Obama cannot disown him after a 20 year parishionership. His best tactic would be to show the minister to be within the broad specrum of American Sunday sermonizers, although less obnoxious than Rev. Pat Robertson or Rev. John Hagee.

I have felt all along that, even though Obama is a better campaigner, he is less electable than Hillary. Wright gives people a "rationale" for voting against Obama, when in fact they were going to vote against him anyway.
yambu
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Here is perhaps the best, most even-handed criticism of Wright I've seen so far, and not coincidentally it's from one of the finest journalists in today's world, the marvelous MSNBC regular Eugene Robinson (who btw is African-American but not a professional black man).

http://tinyurl.com/3ls2h9
Excellent piece, Billy. Thanks.
gromit
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
Yes, that one and the Bob Herbert sounded good to me.
But I'm a little out of it.
If anyone has links to any of Rev. Wright's speeches/appearances, I'd be grateful.