Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Election 2008

billyweeds
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Political Trivia:

Who was the first non-Caucasian to win the Nobel Peace Prize?

(and organizations don't count, I want an actual person).

Ralph Bunche?
gromit
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
YAY!

Good job.
Obama would be proud.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
All those who swore we'd never get a public option, prepare yourselves...

http://tinyurl.com/yf8ued7

...to sit down to a healthy portion of crow.
yambu
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
All those who swore we'd never get a public option, prepare yourselves...

http://tinyurl.com/yf8ued7

...to sit down to a healthy portion of crow....

What are you crowing about? Read the piece again: "...Senate leaders and White House aides met for the second straight day in the Capitol in hopes of agreeing on comprehensive health care legislation. Participants in the talks said no decisions had been made about key issues, including proposals for government insurance...." That wuss Reid couldn't lead a Boy Scout troop.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:

What are you crowing about?

This.

http://tinyurl.com/yfzxom8
gromit
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
When is Obama going to free the wage-slaves?

And more political trivia
:
Which 2009 film has a character described as "the white Obama"?

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:

He's trying, as witness this breaking news:

WASHINGTON — Responding to the growing furor over the paychecks of executives at companies that received billions of dollars in federal bailouts, the Obama administration will order the companies that received the most aid to deeply slash the compensation to their highest paid executives, an official involved in the decision said on Wednesday.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Ran across this in the Slate daily news listings--now, why didn't they think of this months ago? (I've been saying it since January.)

Dems: Forget Public Option, Let's Call It Medicare

House Democrats say that while the public doesn't necessarily understand what a public option is, Medicare is well-known and, more importantly, well-liked. This rebranding strategy could help Democrats create a compromise between liberals who want the public option and those who are worried about what it would mean for the free market. The idea has been bubbling up for a few weeks and seems to have taken hold in certain House circles, although others have been quick to criticize it as an unnecessary gimmick, particularly since poll after poll shows the public supports the idea of a government-run health plan. Meanwhile, word is that House leaders have managed to cut the cost of their health plan to around $871 billion, to bring it well below the $900 billion limit set by President Obama. The news is significant because the House bill would include a public option that would pay providers at rates tied to Medicare. Liberals are particularly fond of this option because it could help drive down the cost of health care, but some Democrats from rural areas oppose the move because Medicare rates in their areas are well below the national average.

Read original story in The Hill | Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2009
yambu
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
yambu wrote:

This.

I don't know why you like to cherry pick what supports your view all the time. All of us can read, and we generally read the same sources. Besides that, both pieces you cite today say the HOUSE is close to a public option. The SENATE is where it is going to fail, unless your Divine Presence can bang some heads, which he has yet to do.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
billyweeds wrote:
gromit wrote:

He's trying, as witness this breaking news:

WASHINGTON — Responding to the growing furor over the paychecks of executives at companies that received billions of dollars in federal bailouts, the Obama administration will order the companies that received the most aid to deeply slash the compensation to their highest paid executives, an official involved in the decision said on Wednesday.

Well, the head of Bank of America (symbol: BAC*) already said he's retiring at the end of the year and he's not getting a salary / bonus either, so I don't think he's really affected.

* known in the business as a Joke, in more ways than one, though not that funny

Marj
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
yambu wrote:

This.

I don't know why you like to cherry pick what supports your view all the time. All of us can read, and we generally read the same sources. Besides that, both pieces you cite today say the HOUSE is close to a public option. The SENATE is where it is going to fail, unless your Divine Presence can bang some heads, which he has yet to do.

Yam--this isn't a view. It's what happening! And not everyone reads Huffpo. Geez, not everyone reads the NY Times. It's certainly worth the quote.
gromit
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
Maybe Obama knows exactly what he is doing, but it's a weird political dance that's going on:
Quote:

In pushing to include a government-run health insurance plan in the health care bill, the Senate majority leader, Harry Reid, is taking a calculated gamble that the 60 members of his caucus could support the plan if it included a way for states to opt out.

Mr. Reid met with President Obama at the White House Thursday to inform him of his inclination to add the public option to the bill, but did not specifically ask the president to endorse that approach, a Democratic aide said. Mr. Obama asked questions, but did not express a preference at the meeting, a White House official said.

Mr. Reid’s outlook was shaped, in part, by opinion polls showing public support for a government insurance plan, which would compete with private insurers.

Reid seems like such a lame-o, and I think Shumer is pushing him, but this would be a big moment for Reid.

And again they don't need 60 votes in favor of the public option. They just need 60 votes in favor of closing off debate and allowing the legislation to be voted on. Then the actual vote just need 50 Ayes. They can allow a handful or more to vote to allow a vote, but then vote against if that's what they want to do.

I don't think it's asking that much discipline to jump-start Obama's domestic program and possibly save his presidency from foundering.

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
The public opinion polls are really having an effect on the movement on the public option. JMO, but I think it will get the 50 votes.

Now, I'm trying to figure out your other trivia question, Gromit. Considering I've only seen two 2009 films - I think, chances aren't good.
gromit
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:44 am Reply with quote
From one blog-source, here's a breakdown of how to get 60 votes.
Not sure how accurate the analysis is, but it's encouraging.
Quote:

Here is a quick look at the state of play for the public option in the Senate:

* 52 Senators support at least the level playing-field public option. It is likely that they are the 50 listed here, plus Jon Tester and Mark Begich.

* #53: Mark Pryor won't filibuster.

* #54: Joe Lieberman won't filibuster.

* #55: Max Baucus isn't going to filibuster what will largely be his own legislation.

* #56: Kent Conrad has never threatened to filibuster. As chair of the Budget Committee and a member of the Gang of Six, it would be extremely unlikely.

* #57: Ben Nelson supports the opt-out

* #58: Blanche Lincoln faces a tough re-election fight, and will need support for Democratic and progressive groups.

* #59 & #60 are Mary Landrieu and Evan Bayh. They are the last remaining obstacles.

* #61 Olympia Snowe is opposed.

This means that the number of obstacles to including a public option in the Senate bill, and thus the bill overall, is down to two or three, depending on Blanche Lincoln.

We are on the brink of victory in the public option campaign. We only need two or three more Senate votes on cloture, and we have it.

You'd think Obama and Rahm could twist 3-4 arms. Actually if you get 60 on record as wanting to put the health care reform legislation to a vote, then the GOP might not even bother to try to filibuster, and the few Dems who won't vote for the bill itself won't even have to vote for cloture.

Dems have the numbers. Need a little party discipline. Somehow I'm wary of counting on Lieberman, though Conn must be heavily in support of reform and a public otpion.

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I don't think any of the Democrats are going to filibuster, even if they eventually vote against the bill.