Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Election 2008

ehle64
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Peace.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
There will be no peace until we bar women and Blacks and non-church going, non-flag pin wearing, non-hand over heart anthem singing ersatz Americans, from holding the highest office in the land and any other government office in the future.
lady wakasa
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Silly boy.

And what's with the "we," Canuck?

marantzo
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
It seems like Obama has stated that the Rev.Wright does not speak for him. Well good for Barack. Wright can do him no good and can potentially hurt him. It seems that some of Barack's staff shares the opinion of some on here that the Rev. is just out for himself.

I'm a little puzzled by how some on here claim ignorance of Black Churches (Protestant). We are a film forum. There have been innumerable depictions of Black church services in the movies and from what I've seen they appear to be mostly authentic.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
Silly boy.

And what's with the "we," Canuck?

Ssssshhhhhhh....I'm an illegal alien.
Marj
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
lady wakasa wrote:
I think you've just made a pretty coherent statement of fact - not sure what kind of sorting you're looking for...

Actually, I think there is a chance Wright could "fix" things somewhat by holding these interviews, and that's likely what he's trying to do. However, I don't know if he personally can pull it off.
His two post-Moyers appearances show he's not interested in fixing anything. He's got the limelight now, and he's not gonna give it up until they turn it off. He speaks for God, after all.

Amen! And sadly it's become the subject for all of the political shows this afternoon. Whether it is guilt by association or what one pundit said: This gives those who either can't or don't want to 'think' the excuse they need, this is bad for Obama.

On the other hand, it gives Obama a chance to distance himself more and reframe the entire subject yet again.
Syd
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Mankind will unite in peace after the aliens disintegrate Cleveland. Tom Cruise and Will Smith will lead us to victory over the villainous St!kvovverkquirrha!

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
As if Obama didn't have enough problems this week, the US Supreme Court today ruled it was ok for Indiana to require government photo IDs from voters. This is effective immediately, and lots of blacks won't have the means, or even the time, to get IDs by next Tuesday.
bocce
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
just out of wild curiousity, why would anyone over 18 years old not have an ID of some type???

i don't see this as any government conspiracy to deny the vote but, rather, to ensure it's valid...

actually, where i live, in the racist and reactionary south, a voter registration card is normally required to exercise the franchise...
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
Joan Walsh, an Obama supporter, writes in Salon about Why Jeremiah Wright is so wrong:

My goal in this post is to try not to treat Wright the way Wright seems to treat the idea of America; to not utterly damn Wright because some of (a lot of? I'm not sure) what Wright has said is disturbing and wrong. I am grateful to Bill Moyers for airing so much of the sermons. I enjoyed their thoughtful conversation about theology and politics. But the whole idea that Wright has been attacked over "soundbites," and if Americans saw his entire sermons, in context, they'd feel differently, now seems ludicrous. The long clips Moyers played only confirm what was broadcast in the snippets (and the longer excerpts out today are even more troubling).

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joan Walsh is HUGE Clinton supporter. Read her blogs. Read the posts in the letters column from Obama supporters. This woman lives, breathes, and dies for Hillary, and systemattically attacks Obama (passive agressively) while championing Hillary's every victory. I read Salon daily. This woman is not a unbiased commentator.

-Topher
Syd
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
bocce wrote:
just out of wild curiousity, why would anyone over 18 years old not have an ID of some type???

i don't see this as any government conspiracy to deny the vote but, rather, to ensure it's valid...

actually, where i live, in the racist and reactionary south, a voter registration card is normally required to exercise the franchise...

I don't think I had one until I was 24 years old and got a student ID at Oklahoma University. Maine didn't require them for voting or buying liquor, and I didn't drive. I'm not sure when I got a picture ID with my age on it. I used to use my student ID and my draft card.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Here's the latest in the series of articles about Bill Clinton's fear of Obama. Well, at least that's the subtext.

http://tinyurl.com/4ckjts

How not at all surprising that, for Bill Clinton, the election is all about him.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Gary about Farrakhan. The man's anti-semetic. His presence in American politics (heck, in America, period) troubles me like no one since David Duke.

-Topher
yambu
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
bocce wrote:

i don't see this as any government conspiracy to deny the vote but, rather, to ensure it's valid......
In 2005, when the Republican-controlled Indiana legislature passed the law, the GOP unanimously voted for it, while the Dems unanimously voted against, so I guess they saw it as something more than preventing fraud. The Court itself acknowledged the political split, but rightly gave it no weight.
Plenty of blacks, old, and poor people have no gvt ID. I guess we'll be seeing the numbers soon.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I can understand why, depending on where you live, you would not have a driver's liscence. But I'm more perplexed by the lack of a Social Security card. You can't get a job without it, and you often have to write the number down when you apply. It's a little hard for me to believe that a large number of blacks in Indiana don't have one. I support the legislature legislature in this case. Prevention of voter fraud is important, and how can you do this unless proof is offered?

-Topher