Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

Befade
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Gary = Moral Indignation. I mostly agree with you........but I loved last nights episode. That Alicia could say to Will "Cut the romance. Show me a plan." was pretty unexpected. Most dramas like this emphasis the compelling power of the romance.

Maybe Will has been stuck on Alicia for a long time and dating the rich younger woman has given him the perspective that noone can replace Alicia in his affections. Alicia still isn't sure she can support her husband in his reelection bid......and there's no proof that he's cleaned up his act for good. His mother obviously wants to see him crowned the king she thinks he is. But I think it was great of Alicia to stand up for her kids......and not be swept away by Will or her husband.

Will might have been calling back with a work emergency. What's for sure that he could come up with A PLAN that quickly?

I loved seeing Gary Cole again and I loved the way they fleshed out Callinda and showed her vulnerability. Makes me hunger for the next season.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I liked last night's episode also. I was just agreeing with Billy about the phone call at the end.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
And at last--at last!!!--they have (last week) uttered the word "gay" in connection with Kalinda. This week she seems to have acted on it to gain points, just as she exposed her het side with that detective guy, also to gain points. Does she ever have sex for fun or is it always job-related? Well, she's clearly a workaholic, and each to his own.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Got this response on a Good Wife blog where I posted my critique:

Bill Weeden - that moment was spot on…I’ve been in the same situation with a cheating husband, an interested old friend, kids, asking for a plan and wondering if I should stay or go. You can’t turn off the phone when, for a women who has had so much of her life beaten down, it is intoxicating to have someone interested. It is so romantic and a tough choice.

Interesting.
marantzo
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Another self pitying person. So she can't turn off her cell phone, poor baby.

Oscar Levant's description of a woman's movie (they didn't use chick flick in those days):
"The wife cheats and her husband begs for forgiveness." Smile
carrobin
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Works for me. (One good thing about being my age is that I remember Oscar Levant.)

Maybe one day I'll catch up with "The Good Wife" but timeslots work against it; the second season of "Ashes to Ashes" is opposite it on BBC America and it's riveting.
marantzo
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Carrobin, if you haven't, read Memories of An Amnesiac, (it might be Memoirs) an autobiographical book by Levant. Very funny and touching in places. I recommended it to Marj years ago but she read some of it and didn't like it. She really liked East of Eden so you can't go by her.
Marj
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Now knock that off!!!!!

I actually liked a lot of the Oscar Levant book, however it got somewhat repetitive and slow after some time. And I'd certainly recommend Steinbeck. I just wasn't enjoying my second reading East of Eden.

Now, Billy. Considering that Alica is the only one in her family who is actually earning a living, it actually behooves her to have her cell phone on!!

Man, it's hot in here. Twisted Evil
carrobin
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Funny that I never got around to Levant's book. I read all of Alexander King's when I was a teenager, and Jack Douglas's too. (And if you're under 50 and/or never watched Jack Paar, you have no idea who those people were.)

I read just about everything Steinbeck wrote except "East of Eden." Time I got around to it, maybe.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:03 am Reply with quote
For anyone who cares, American Idol is officially in its death throes. Simon Cowell, love him or hate him, was the main reason for watching, and he's gone as of next season. And the worst final decision in AI history was made last night, with brilliant Crystal Bowersox being beaten by depressingly mediocre Lee DeWyze. There have been miscarriages of justice before, but none as clear-cut as this one.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:57 am Reply with quote
I like Steinbeck, too, Marj. Particularly the Cannery Row books. (Embarrassing admission: I've never gotten past the first couple of pages of The Grapes of Wrath).

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:06 am Reply with quote
Steinbeck was my favourite novelist when I was a teen, and he was a very fine writer, but East of Eden is mediocre and way overwritten. When a writer writes a book that he has been wanting to write for years and thinks will be his masterwork, watch out, it's usually the opposite. Carrobin, I'm curious if you'll be able to get through it. I read those funny authors too, plus Max Shulman of course.

CSI NY completed the series of incredibly stupid finales for the CSI franchise. It was probably the worst, but it was a close race to the bottom. CSI and CSI NY used to be very good, with some clunkers and CSI Miami was never very good. Time for them to close shop. If the untalented, one-note hand of producer Buckheimer weren't steering the CSI ships at the end of the season, I'll eat my shirt.

Guess what, another insane, ingenious mass murderer. Now that's a switch. FEH!!!! Spoiler, and nothing seems to be able to kill him. Shocked
bartist
Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
Gary, a friend at another forum refers to the CSI shows as "people are meat" televison. Used to watch the LV one, back when Petersen was on and before I just had enough bizarro serial killers and "meat." Caught a few of the CSI:NY -- it was okay, a little more interesting visually with all the urban shadows and nooks and grittiness.
carrobin
Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
I don't always watch "CSI:NY," but last night I caught the finale. It was embarrassingly predictable. Yes, a serial killer. Yes, he has a target in mind and that target is wandering around with his family thinking all is well. Yes, everything went exactly as expected, right down to the cliffhanger ending, which isn't likely to lure me to the next season.

Seems like when we need "Law & Order" the most, it's disappearing. (Which reminds me of the classic Groucho line--"Just when I tell you to go, you leave me!")
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
Glee becomes more and more aggravating. How is Kurt forcing himself and his decorating choices on Finn any less bullying than the football guys trying to force Kurt and Tina to dress normally? It's weird the way Kurt has cornered Finn in ways Finn can't control (his mom, Kurt's dad and Kurt) and that's considered campy and cute, but Finn's understandable rage and his desire to be perceived as who he is (clearly analogous to Kurt wanting to be perceived as who he is) are treated as a bigotry for which he must apologize.

The bottom line is that Kurt, in this storyline generally, and this episode specifically, is wrong, wrong, wrong. And if Finn had talked some sexy girl's dad into moving in with his mom on the pretext that he could then force a sexual relationship on her, there would be quite a different response and depiction of his "hopeless romance."

-Topher