Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

marantzo
Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Well just title the posts, 24 last episode.
carrobin
Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Just caught up with it on Hulu last night (no t.v., so I catch shows a day later online).

And I didn't like it at all. Harris' cartoony vengeful character was dull. Joss has given us angry little men who step on kids to make up for their own lives. Remember Principal Snyder? And why wasn't Sue bothered about sleeping with him when he's married? She walked out on the anchorman because she didn't play those kinds of games. And having Josh meet Rachel's birth mom in the car during a heavy rainstorm wasn't meta-humor, it was just cliche. They're trying to wring tension out of the "why is Josh dating Rachel" plot, but I don't think any of us are worried about it.

I didn't care for the musical numbers, either.

I didn't find Neil Patrick Harris's Brian Ryan dull at all--he was just such a frustrated song-and-dance guy, stuck in a life he'd settled for. Nothing like Principal Snyder. And maybe the "dream" numbers weren't particularly flashy, but the duet between Rachel and her mother was a tearjerker, at least for me.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Well just title the posts, 24 last episode.

Oh, obviously we will do that. I meant on line in general, like anywhere relating to entertainment, television, etc. It will be mentioned all over the place, so be careful.
carrobin
Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
If they kill off Jack, it'll be hard to avoid all the publicity. It seems unlikely to me, though. Jack's been developed into an almost indestructible hero, and lots of viewers wouldn't accept it. Fox would have to bring him back like Conan Doyle had to resurrect Holmes.
marantzo
Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of when I was walking with a girlfriend when i was around 15. I had seen On The Waterfront about a year before and became a huge Brando fan. I had been catching up on all the movies he had made before Waterfront. The only one left that I hadn't seen was Viva Zapata. It hadn't shown up in any of the theatres that showed past pictures.

Viva Zapata SPOILER

We were walking past a neighbourhood theatre, The Deluxe, and there was Viva Zapata on a poster, coming attraction. I was thrilled and said, "Great, I've been wanting to see that for over a year." My girlfriend (it didn't last), said, "Oh yeah, that's the one where he gets killed at the end."

I could have killed HER!

End of spoiler. Smile
carrobin
Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Also, just in passing...

If they kill off Jack Bauer, the terrorists win.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:
Just caught up with it on Hulu last night (no t.v., so I catch shows a day later online).

And I didn't like it at all. Harris' cartoony vengeful character was dull. Joss has given us angry little men who step on kids to make up for their own lives. Remember Principal Snyder? And why wasn't Sue bothered about sleeping with him when he's married? She walked out on the anchorman because she didn't play those kinds of games. And having Josh meet Rachel's birth mom in the car during a heavy rainstorm wasn't meta-humor, it was just cliche. They're trying to wring tension out of the "why is Josh dating Rachel" plot, but I don't think any of us are worried about it.

I didn't care for the musical numbers, either.

I didn't find Neil Patrick Harris's Brian Ryan dull at all--he was just such a frustrated song-and-dance guy, stuck in a life he'd settled for. Nothing like Principal Snyder. And maybe the "dream" numbers weren't particularly flashy, but the duet between Rachel and her mother was a tearjerker, at least for me.

For pop culture, it's too soon to do "I Dreamed A Dream" after Susan Boyle. They made a somewhat similar mistake the other week using "I Am Beautiful" for Mercedes.

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I love Susan Boyle, and sure I thought of her when the song began, but no problem. It's a great song.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Don't really have an opinion about Boyle, pro or con. My point is that a show that does standards and pop hits has to be careful that we are responding to the drama of the performance and not our memories of other performances.

I'm a huge fan of the first half season of Glee, but there have been only a couple of episodes recently that have worked for me, as well. And when they do, they seem to be of the cartoony variety. The show is missing the more down-to-earth elements it once had.

-Topher
Syd
Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
It was a lovely and touching duet, and the song fit perfectly into the episode.

I liked the duet to "Dream On" (and thought Harris was better) and the tap dance at the end, too.

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Tonight's "Bones" finale had a satisfyingly bittersweet ending. I'm glad Brennan and Booth didn't end up in a passionate embrace--the show works best when they're playing the attraction-resistance game, even though it's hard to maintain rationally at times. The case was a good one, too, but I don't need to be reminded that there's way too much clutter in my apartment. (And occasionally a mouse, but never a snake. Actually, snakes eat mice. Maybe I need one.)
marantzo
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
Yes, a good show. Is Bones not coming back next year?
The woman who plays Bones' scientific acolyte is supposed to be annoying and she achieves that in spades. I hope she dies in the jungle.

The ending of the CSI episode was stupid, unfortunately because everything up till then was very good. The ending of The Mentalist was also not up to snuff, though it wasn't as ridiculous as CSI's.

Am I the only one who is sick and tired of stories involving some psycho, sadistic serial killer genius. Once in a while, OK, but these serial killing chess masters go on and on and on and in virtually every crime show. Let's get back to the garden variety criminals. I'm fed up with these fringe, and unrealistic creeps.
carrobin
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
"Bones" will be back next season, which I assume will follow a "year" of Booth and Brennan's separation. Should be good.

I agree about the serial killer thing. I watched "Mentalist" for the first time because a friend of mine likes it a lot and I'd been meanting to catch it. I wasn't too impressed. (I read recently that if there were really as many serial killers around as there are on TV, we'd have one in every neighborhood. Maybe two per block here in NYC.)
marantzo
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Not just serial killers, but serial killers who are brilliant. What a tired load of crap. Almost all serial killers are deranged for sure and have borderline IQ's at best. There is the very occasional red light bandit.
carrobin
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I do understand that serial killers are much more interesting, in theory, than the real-life guys and dames who whack someone without thinking much about it. It's a lot more fun watching a smart pursuer track down a clever murderer. But this serial thing has become a boring cliche. (One thing about "Law & Order" is that they manage to serve up a good case every week without resorting to either serial killers or CSI-type details.)