Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

Syd
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12892 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
knox wrote:
I can see where Fillion philes would like Castle as a "vehicle" -- it's more about liking the characters than original plotting. This episode was heavily dependent on backstory and probably would be unimpressive to a newbie viewer.

Syd and Ehle -- I occasionally catch Private Practice, which strikes me as a spinoff that works better than its originating show -- maybe in part due to its major talents like Amy Brenneman, Tim Daly, and the rest -- I like "Charlotte," the plain-spoken take-no-prisoners southern gal who is basically telling the whiny pediatrics guy to grow up. Also like PP absence of annoying voice-over; show me the story, don't tell it to me like I'm an idiot.

I strongly prefer the original, but I like Charlotte (KaDee Strickland) a lot. The sexual soap opera is really too much. I was wondering last week what happened to the girl who was sick. Dell and Cooper forgot about her when her mother went into labor (which was admittedly a medical emergency).

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I was sure the announcement of next week's two-parter indicated that it was the finale. And the big bang is due in 15 minutes, show time (it's always comforting to see a digital countdown start, since we can be pretty sure Jack will be there to stop it with a second or two to spare). And how can they keep it going for another two months? Unless it's going to disappear for several weeks.

Saw 24 last night. There are many, many loose ends to tie up before the finale. Remember, this is the last last last season, so Jack's life has to be wrapped up as well as the story. Meanwhile, Cherry Jones finally got a good scene to play this week, her first decent acting opportunity of the season. Her character has been sloughed off for the most part, but last night she gave 'em hell. Go, Madame President!
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Damages was aces this week. The story is labyrinthine but fascinating, and waaaay better than Season Two. Still not as good as Season One, but that phenomenon rarely happens. In fact, I can only think of a couple of series where the show got noticeably better after the first season. Sex and the City for sure, and maybe Mary Tyler Moore (though MTM was never really less than very very good).

Rose Byrne's excellent performance as Ellen Parson in Damages is easy to underrate. She underplays almost to the point of looking like a blank slate, but honestly I think that's the most intelligent way of playing the maddeningly elliptical Ellen, who might be off-putting if she were played in too "actressy" a style. Byrne's portrayal is exquisitely well judged.
Marc
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching season 3 of Mad Men. There's a lull in the middle, but it picks up steam at the end. Season 4 looks to be very compelling.

Digging the shit out of Breaking Bad.
Marj
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Billy - So glad you see Rose Byrne's performance as I do. She is clearly one of the best actresses I know and her work on Damages is excellent. Subtle for sure but that's just the way I like it.

What I'm confused by are the additional story lines. Not about her sister. I can see where that's going. Do we think Ellen Parsons is the new Patty Hewes? But the Frobisher story line is frustrating. With only two more episodes I have to wonder ...
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Billy - So glad you see Rose Byrne's performance as I do. She is clearly one of the best actresses I know and her work on Damages is excellent. Subtle for sure but that's just the way I like it.

What I'm confused by are the additional story lines. Not about her sister. I can see where that's going. Do we think Ellen Parsons is the new Patty Hewes? But the Frobisher story line is frustrating. With only two more episodes I have to wonder ...

Who killed Tom? That's my question, and I have a theory. I agree with you about the Frobisher story. Was that just added to use Ted Danson for ratings? To give Craig Bierko a job? Why?
Marj
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't know whether to ask you to tell me your theory or not. If I do, perhaps we'll see if you're right. But if I do, it will be a spoiler for me since I don't have a clue!

And I'm glad we agree about the Frobisher story line. If I thought Damages were being picked up for another season, then maybe, but I don't see that happening. I do hope I'm wrong, though.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, Colbert was pissed off because he didn't get a Peabody this year, but then Craig Ferguson opened his show with the annoucement (via Wavy the puppet crocodile) that he's won one. One of these days he's going to be forced to admit he's running a really good show rather than "a piece of crap" with an audience of hoboes.
marantzo
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone remember my very low opinion of Private Practice a couple of months ago when I watched about ten minutes of it. Of course you don't. Last week when I couldn't get a decent feed of the shows I would have preferred, I settled on Private Practice which some on here said wasn't bad at all. I watched from the beginning, unlike last time when I came in far into the episode, and I stuck with it and stuck with it, but about 3/4 of the way in I just couldn't watch anymore. Really bad.
knox
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Get in line. Almost everyone I know is happy to tell me how bad PP is. I am bewitched, apparently, by Strickland and that other doc, the one who looks a little like DeNeuve and is called "Addie."

Maybe Fox had the right idea -- the medico-drama-soap is overworked, so make it a detective story instead, with a Holmesian diagnostician -- "House."
carrobin
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I have a prejudice against doctors and hospitals (with good reason) and the only doctor show I can watch is "House," precisely because it's more of a detective series than a medical series. And I occasionally check out "Scrubs," which can be very funny (and I like the fact that they admit that sometimes doctors kill people).
Syd
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Addie is Kate Walsh. The character was used much better on Grey's Anatomy.

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm a House person too. But I will admit even that was hard to watch after my recent hospital sojourn.
Syd
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
I'm a House person too. But I will admit even that was hard to watch after my recent hospital sojourn.

The last two Grey's Anatomy's had an assisted suicide, and a man whose wife had a stroke and wanted to keep her alive by machine. Meanwhile Private Practice's last couple of episodes had a surrogate mother on a ventilator and her husband wanted to turn it off while the parents of the fetuses wanted her kept alive. (They resolved it with a surgical miracle.) Not the cheeriest stuff to watch when you have a relative in the hospital.

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Maybe you should rent episodes of Marcus Welby from Netflix. I don't think he ever lost a patient.

-Topher