Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

warpedgirl17
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:08 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jan 2009 Posts: 51 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
billyweeds wrote:
The Office has indeed been fairly lame recently. But NBC is making up for it with the new police show Southland, which is part Hill Street Blues, part The Shield, and all mighty worthwhile.

My mom and I have gotten hooked on Southland. It's a really good show. I like how it's more like real life like cops. Real life like situations. I think the writing is very good too.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:12 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jan 2009 Posts: 51 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
billyweeds wrote:
OMG. SNL. The best episode of this often terrible series in years. Justin Timberlake is some kind of a genius--singing, dancing, clowning, playing keyboards. Is there anything this guy can't do?

Ciara is sexy and sinuous and sensational.

Jimmy Fallon playing Barry Gibb as a talk show host--possibly his finest moment ever.

Bill Hader and Fred Armisen as Elliot Spitzer and David Patterson, planning their television cop series "Horndog and Blurry" and high-fiving each other in hysterical fashion.

Seth Meyers making hay out of the marriage of Peter Skarsgaard and Maggie Gyllenhaal and their vowel-heavy names.

Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, and Leonard Nimoy sucking up to Trekkies to get cred for their new, potentially treacherous movie.

Susan Sarandon and Patricia Clarkson playing cougar moms in a hilarious digital video with Timberlake and Andy Samberg.

Mucho other hilarious stuff.

An amazing outing.

That was a very funny SNL. I loved that Barry Gibb talk show skit. Jimmy Fallon was hilarious in that! Yeah I'm surprised with how talented Justin Timberlake is.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:16 am Reply with quote
warpedgirl17 wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
The Office has indeed been fairly lame recently. But NBC is making up for it with the new police show Southland, which is part Hill Street Blues, part The Shield, and all mighty worthwhile.

My mom and I have gotten hooked on Southland. It's a really good show. I like how it's more like real life like cops. Real life like situations. I think the writing is very good too.

Finally, a cop series that my wife and I can enjoy equally. The Shield, which I loved, was too violent for her. Law & Order, which she is hooked on, has never completely grabbed me. Southland has enough of the Hill Street/Shield vibe to interest me, and she loves the human angle. This show could wind up a staple, because NBC seems to me promoting it heavily.

Check out In Plain Sight, in which Mary McCormack is giving a wonderfully textured performance as the many-sided woman whose "clients" are in the Witness Protection Program. It's a dark comedy and a thriller. I love it.
marantzo
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote
24, is bordering and sometimes crossing over into the ridiculous. Of course you've had to suspend disbelief and go along for the ride since the series began, but there is a limit and they have started going way over the line far too often. That the evil organization would have agents virtually everywhere and in all the right places at all the right times is just stupid. It just took me out of the action. I sure hope that next year they go back to more believable plot twists and not cram load of them into a single episode.

I don't know; It is supposed to take place in 24 hours and it seems to me that they are having a problem filling the time, and throwing everything but the kitchen sink into it. Maybe some more good, well written dialogue and character study taking the place of action swings that are ridiculous, would help.

So one of the good guys is eating at a fancy restaurant and we find out when we see his waiter talking to the chef, that they are both part of the evil corporation and they are going to poison the good guy, who suspects something and calls the office but his call is routed to the den of vipers and they say they will be there etc. They don`t show up and our good guy gets up, leaves and then is abducted by the guy who gets his car, who is also a plant. The car jockey with the semi-conscious good guy speed away. The good guy manages to alert a traffic cop who stops the car and talks to the driver. The cop winks and walks away. Oh, dear, he is also a fake who is working for the other side. This is looking very bad and not in a good way.
lissa
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
I read that Day 8 of 24 will take place in Manhattan. Apparently, since terrorism truly gained momentum with 9/11, Manhattan is a place that seems obvious for the show to use as backdrop.

Of course, that will depend on how much time Kiefer gets in jail this time (he was arrested for assault last week).

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
"24" is showing its strain at having to provide several thrills per hour in a single day. I think it was the second season when I became aware that the only person one can trust, besides Jack, is Chloe. If she goes bad...

I do enjoy her interaction with Garofalo. (I guess there's always got to be somebody to bug Chloe, and she does it well.)

By the way, can anyone tell me what that place was where House ended up last night? I can guess, but I don't really know, and it's the first time I've watched the show in months.
marantzo
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
A Psychiatric Hospital.
carrobin
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
THanks--that's what I thought, but it looked so gothic.
carrobin
Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Interesting "Bones" finale. What is it with finales these days, trying for maximum confusion? Once I got into it, though, it was fun. And it looks like Booth has amnesia now, which should make next season even more interesting.

At the moment Rachel Maddow is sorting out all the evidence about Cheney and his determination to get a connection between Al Qaeda and Iraq through torture. This stuff just gets murkier and slimier. Thank goodness "30 Rock" will soon take me away from it.
carrobin
Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, last night's SNL was the best of th year, easy. The opening Bush/Cheney sketch was great--nobody ever did Bush better than Will Ferrell, and Hammond is so Cheneyesque he's scary--but the "Jeopardy" sketch was a classic. Why doesn't Tom Hanks do more comedy?
billyweeds
Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:31 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Well, last night's SNL was the best of the year, easy.

Can't agree with this. Justin Timberlake puts every other guest host in the shade. Hammond indeed does an awesome Cheney, but that opening sketch was IMO NSH.

carrobin wrote:
Why doesn't Tom Hanks do more comedy?

This is a question fans of Hanks the comedian and non-fans of his dramatic acting have been asking long before he won the two undeserved back-to-back Oscars. He shoulda won for Big, and he's never been as good since those days and the days of Bosom Buddies, Splash, and the guest shots on Family Ties. As for Philadelphia and Forrest Gump, seldom have Oscars been as wasted or as misplaced. And now, with his truly rotten personal notices for Angels & Demons, the chickens are finally--finally!!!--coming home to roost.

Last edited by billyweeds on Mon May 18, 2009 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
billyweeds
Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote
In Plain Sight this week offers yet another little mini-masterpiece of episode writing and acting. Mary McCormack would be a shoo-in for an Emmy nomination if the series were not on the little-respected USA Network. She's a cop in the Albuquerque division of the Witness Protection Program and she's a no-bullshit lady to put it mildly. McCormack--a favorite of mine ever since Murder One, but whose career has been in what I feared was a permanent stall until now--is quite subtly amazing. And she's given terrific support by Lesley Ann Warren as her alcoholic mother, an out of control but basically loving woman. The whole cast is stalwart and the plots are gripping. Not to mention the most important factor: the show is funny as hell. I recommend it without reservation.
marantzo
Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
I didn't know that the USA Network was little respected. We don't get it up here, but when I'm in the states it is one of the networks that I watch a lot of good stuff on. We do get some of their shows here, on other (Canadian) networks but they always have unfortunate time slots for me. I stopped taping programmes a long time ago.
Syd
Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
billyweeds wrote:
And now, with his truly rotten personal notices for Angels & Demons, the chickens are finally--finally!!!--coming home to roost.

It's being compared unfavorably to The Bonfire of the Vanities. It sounds like the whole story is so mindbogglingly hopeless that he just gave up.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I didn't know that the USA Network was little respected. We don't get it up here, but when I'm in the states it is one of the networks that I watch a lot of good stuff on. We do get some of their shows here, on other (Canadian) networks but they always have unfortunate time slots for me. I stopped taping programmes a long time ago.

Maybe I'm still back in the 90s before Monk made USA more of an event. These days USA has stepped up, with In Plain Sight its major standard-bearer and Monk still in there pitching.