Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

marantzo
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:58 am Reply with quote
Heroes, though still very good, is starting to confuse me with the mutiple characters and plot lines. Maybe it's because of age but I'm having a hard time keeping all their situations straight. I think it would be better to concentrate on one or two charcters per episode and have snatches of the others just to keep us up to date. But having the Japanese guy as my big favourite, I'd like to see him highlighted every week.

I flicked onto Studio 60 on Sunday night I saw about a third of it and for once, it didn't turn me off. The FCC story line is of course an obvious one, but it is a very important subject and deserves to be laid bare in it's disgusting assault on freedom of expression.

Let me add that if you Americans elect another Republican President in the next election, you have no one but yourselves to blame. I don't care how moderate the Republican is (and by the way, McCain is no moderate), he/she will still throw more than crumbs to the fascist, fundamentalist claque and you'll still have things like the current FCC.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote
Last night's "Studio 60" was terrific. (Though using coconuts to make snow--who came up with that idea?) The brass number was a knockout, and made me wonder whether there's going to be a "Music from Studio 60" CD. Their musical guests have all been excellent.

To jump back to the quality-of-TV-programming for a moment, there's a correlary to the "if something works, run it into the ground" rule. If something doesn't work, nobody wants to touch it again, ever. It doesn't matter if the show was badly produced and a total bore, it's the idea or the genre that suffers.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I flicked onto Studio 60 on Sunday night I saw about a third of it and for once, it didn't turn me off. The FCC story line is of course an obvious one, but it is a very important subject and deserves to be laid bare in it's disgusting assault on freedom of expression.

Let me add that if you Americans elect another Republican President in the next election, you have no one but yourselves to blame. I don't care how moderate the Republican is (and by the way, McCain is no moderate), he/she will still throw more than crumbs to the fascist, fundamentalist claque and you'll still have things like the current FCC.

Yes, I was wondering when they were going to cover something about the FCC fines and it was done well. Ed Asner continues to impress me. His recurring role as head of NBS is perfect. When Jack timidly approached him, it could have gone either way in his decision.

As far as I'm concerned, Bush was never elected the first time and the second time, it came down to one state. I think even those that voted for that fucker are now kicking themselves for being duped.

chillywilly
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:17 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Last night's "Studio 60" was terrific. (Though using coconuts to make snow--who came up with that idea?) The brass number was a knockout, and made me wonder whether there's going to be a "Music from Studio 60" CD. Their musical guests have all been excellent.

Yes, the coconuts as snow thing was fun. I loved how Cal responded when asked what happened to the snow ... "the coconut was cooked.... the lights."

And agreeing with Marj and others on the trumpet player Tony Andrews(thanks for his name, Marj). That added a touch of greatness the show already had.

The clever opening skit had me rolling... The Dateline parody on Santa coming into the homes... great.

marantzo
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think even those that voted for that fucker are now kicking themselves for being duped.

That's why I posted the heads up. So I've done my part in alerting the U.S.A. of the dangers ahead.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote
Democracy thanks you, Gary.

chillywilly
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
Looking at the download numbers for the last episode of Heroes, it's easy to see how popular it is. Most shows that are uploaded soon after their broadcast normally will have 4,000 or so seeds. Last night's episode of Heroes has over 18,000.

Now to make the time I promised for this show while I have a few weeks before new episodes start again.

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:

And agreeing with Marj and others on the trumpet player Tony Andrews(thanks for his name, Marj).

Except the name Marj gave was Troy Andrews.

chillywilly wrote:
The clever opening skit had me rolling... The Dateline parody on Santa coming into the homes... great.

Completely agree. This was the first time a "skit within the show" has actually made me laugh. Very clever and worthy of a top-rank comedy show.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the correction, billy. Tony, Troy, Trumpet... too many T's.

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
Chilly--How do you download a television show? I want to see Heroes now that it's part of the culture, but I don't want to do it the wrong way and wind up paying an arm and a leg. Can you tell me?
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
Sent you a PM.

mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Heroes, though still very good, is starting to confuse me with the mutiple characters and plot lines. Maybe it's because of age but I'm having a hard time keeping all their situations straight. I think it would be better to concentrate on one or two charcters per episode and have snatches of the others just to keep us up to date. But having the Japanese guy as my big favourite, I'd like to see him highlighted every week.

HERO = Hiro!

More trivia about the Japanese guy:
He appeared on the cover of TIME in 1987 (?) with a group of outstanding young Asian-Americans.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
Chilly -
I have an iMac (graphite) with OS 9 and DSL (256 but usually slower). I don't think I can possibly download any TV shows on it. It has a rough time playing anything on YouTube & other videos. Do you happen to know if I can download shows with OSX?
This particular iMac can be switched to OSX. I would have to have my files downloaded to CD's, then reinstalled if I converted to OSX.

ANOTHER QUESTION:
I watched HEROES up until the cheerleader began to fear her father - about 10 min. from the end, I think. Can someone tell me how it ended? Please send a PM if spoilers are bothersome. Will any of the threads be carried into the new episodes of HEROES when it resumes?
grace
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
HERO = Hiro!

More trivia about the Japanese guy:
He appeared on the cover of TIME in 1987 (?) with a group of outstanding young Asian-Americans.

Since seeing him on Heroes, we've started to notice him in a lot of small parts in old shows and movies.

mo,
Here's a link to the NBC recap thingy. They do it in storyboard fashion, and hopefully I've left it off where you left off.
http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/episodes/season1/111/fallout_17.shtml#recap
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
Chilly -
I have an iMac (graphite) with OS 9 and DSL (256 but usually slower). I don't think I can possibly download any TV shows on it. It has a rough time playing anything on YouTube & other videos. Do you happen to know if I can download shows with OSX?
This particular iMac can be switched to OSX. I would have to have my files downloaded to CD's, then reinstalled if I converted to OSX.

All I have is OSX at home now and I've had my Mac setup to download for sometime now. If I remember right, your iMac should be able to take OSX as long as it has the latest firmware update. I had to upgrade my fiance's iMac before I upgraded her to OSX.

Let me know if you need any help.