Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
It struck me that everyone was hitting flat notes on AI last night. They must be vocally worn at this point. I liked Chris the best, though I enjoyed Paris, too. Ryan Seacrest's funny-walking bit with Elliot may be the first time I've liked him (Seacrest, that is; Elliot's likable).

I agree the singing wasn't too great last night. Elliott actually sang "Home" quite well, but it was a dullish song. Chris scored heavily with "Renegade" but was vocally in trouble with the other song. Paris's voice was okay but her overall effect was--as they say on another board--"meh." Katharine absolutely massacred "Against All Odds." The only total success of the evening IMO was Taylor, who I really thought nailed both of his numbers.

I happen to really like Ryan Seacrest. He may be narcissistic, but I think he handles his MC duties with flair and enthusiasm. The person I dislike on AI is a cliche, but I really dislike him--Simon Cowell. His opinions of the singers are more often correct than wrong, but the way he expresses himself goes beyond caustic into sadistic. I truly loathe him.
Marj
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Joe and Billy,

I have to agree. Last night's show was disappointing. Especially compared last years AI, which was far superior, at least when it got to this stage in the game.

Billy, I was wondering how you'd react to "Home." You were being kind.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
You were being kind.

True.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Chris scored heavily with "Renegade" but was vocally in trouble with the other song.

I dug his "Renegade" until he got to that "high price on my head" which should be sung falsetto, and he couldn't get near it.

Quote:
I happen to really like Ryan Seacrest. He may be narcissistic, but I think he handles his MC duties with flair and enthusiasm.

You are quite right about this. And I should come clean: I think he's going the Tom Cruise route (gay man deep in the closet to protect his popularity), and that makes me antagonistic towards him...despite my having no proof he's gay or that being really relevent to his job as MC.

Quote:
The person I dislike on AI is a cliche, but I really dislike him--Simon Cowell. His opinions of the singers are more often correct than wrong, but the way he expresses himself goes beyond caustic into sadistic. I truly loathe him.

I like Simon. I don't often agree with him, but I think that's a matter of taste. I'm cool with his cruelty because I think he does it for unselfish reasons. The music business is probably the harshest of all entertaiment businesses, and he's getting these kids ready for what they will hear a lot if they continue in the field.

What I do not like is the "anti-Simon" thing on the show (not people like you in real life who dislike him; I mean Paula and Randy, and the boos from the audience). Because I think it's a performance. He's marketed as the "hissible judge" to give the show extra publicity (and to take the sting off his commetns), and I think it's a scam.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see you Marj. Hope work's letting up!

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Joe Vitus"]
Quote:
: I think he's going the Tom Cruise route (gay man deep in the closet to protect his popularity), and that makes me antagonistic towards him...despite my having no proof he's gay or that being really relevent to his job as MC.

I think Seacrest may be gay, but he hasn't really milked that Teri Hatcher deal as much as the press has. And I think he's really good and really charming at what he does. On the other hand, I've rarely liked Tom Cruise on screen, and never off.
marantzo
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Tom cruise, he was supposed to be on Dave letterman last night but I fell asleep before it was on. I was looking forward to seeing what kind of reseption Letterman gave him. Did anyone see it.

Cruise is looney toons and and not all too bright, but so is Jane Fonda, the difference is that Cruise is a prick on top of it. Truly an unlikeable guy. Hard worker though.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote
And Seacrest got off a great line the other day in dress rehearsal, apparently.

Here it is:

Katharine McPhee finished singing (I forget which song, but I think it was last week), and as they practiced the "talk" after the song, she kissed him on the cheek. Whereupon he turned to the camera and said, "I just realized I'm not gay!"

I think this is very funny and makes me forgive him his closet caseness, if such it is.
carrobin
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Letterman and Tom Cruise seemed to enjoy each other, though Cruise is always a bit too...too much. Exhuberant, laughing, bouncing, just...you know, too much. Trying way, way too hard.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Joe--Here's a description of today's Ellen show where Ryan Seacrest described his "relationship" with Teri Hatcher. Doesn't sound to me as though RS is trying to do anything like a Katie Holmes thing here.

Ellen showed a clip of when she was trying to set Teri Hatcher up with someone. She said the reason they showed it is cuz that happened backstage at the Grammy’s & Teri had said she wasn’t in a relationship. Ryan asked how that worked out. Ellen said she doesn’t think Teri went out with him cuz that is when ya’all met & thinks he started dating her. Ryan said they met on the red carpet that day. He didn’t know if she was presenting or what but she was just there to watch. He said she is very funny. Ellen said she is funny & smart. Ryan said & successful. Ellen said & bold & fantastic. Ryan said they went out a few times. Ellen said & that’s it? Ryan said & that’s it but we love her. Ellen agreed.
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:20 pm Reply with quote
[quote="billyweeds"]
Joe Vitus wrote:
Quote:
: I think he's going the Tom Cruise route (gay man deep in the closet to protect his popularity), and that makes me antagonistic towards him...despite my having no proof he's gay or that being really relevent to his job as MC.

I think Seacrest may be gay, but he hasn't really milked that Teri Hatcher deal as much as the press has. And I think he's really good and really charming at what he does. On the other hand, I've rarely liked Tom Cruise on screen, and never off.

Today's U.S.A. Today had a big story on Teri Hatcher and her book. [She just had a big article in "Vanity Fair" about being sexually abused as a child. She recently came forward so that the abuser (who had been named by another girl in a recent trial) would be convicted.]
Today's article was kind of sad. She's been married twice. There was little sex in the 2nd marriage. She said she's had no relationships since the divorce. She's devoted to her daughter. They mentioned her fling (or whatever it was) with Geo. Clooney but didn't really go into it.
The date with Seacrest was recounted in detail. Sounds really bizarre - and the article implied that it might have been some kind of publicity stunt. But no one's admitting to anything. Teri said that she thought the date went well and was surprised when Ryan said he didn't want to see her anymore - but thinks a lot of her as a person.
So much for today's Hollywood gossip!
ehle64
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Teri Hatcher's side of that story she told on Oprah™ yesterday was a LOT creepier. Supposedly, it was their 3rd date, 1st time alone and Seacrest took her to this Lobster Shack far, far outside of L.A. The photographers were there, took those photos, then they left. An hour later, Seacrest called Hatcher and said it was over. I loved it when Oprah™ asked Hatcher how the photographers knew they'd be out there, and she smiled while shaking her head and saying, "I don't know." Sounded to me like Seacrest tipped them off. Creepy.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Letterman and Tom Cruise seemed to enjoy each other, though Cruise is always a bit too...too much. Exhuberant, laughing, bouncing, just...you know, too much. Trying way, way too hard.

Exactly. Cruise just seems always on, never wanting to say anything remotely controversial, always in "movie star" mode. Letterman carried the interview.

It helped that Cruise's baby was born recently because it gave them something to discuss. I loved Dave's observation that the hospital "just gives you this baby and lets you drive home with it! You're trying to drive while constantly looking in the backseat cause you can't take your eyes off the baby, and you're almost crashing into stuff."

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what went on and frankly don't care. I think this is private and neither of them should have spoken about it.

Beyond that, I really like Ryan Seacrest. I can't imagine anyone else, off hand, that has done as good a job on AI as he has. And that includes his obvious caring for the contestants. From what I've seen Seacrest is nothing but a class act.

Speaking of AI: Can anyone say, close call? Well, I suppose it's bound to happen. As much as I like Elliot and Kat, I don't see them winning. From what I can see, the finale will be between Chris and Taylor.

I hope I'm wrong.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
It's been fairly obvious from the start that the producers of AI would like to see the finale play out between Chris and Katharine, with Chris emerging as the winner. I think the success and popularity of Taylor has totally blindsided them. They pretty much saw him as a colorful novelty who wouldn't make it past top ten. Simon is terrified of marketing Taylor, which is why SC has been trashing him pretty consistently. I think Simon has finally reluctantly accepted that Taylor is a very popular guy and therefore Simon had to admit last night that Taylor has singing chops.

Meanwhile, they're equally amazed by Elliott's longevity. He was given virtually no air time during the audition period and was never seen as final 12 material, much less Top 4. Believe me, the AI producers are going completely crazy backstage. It's almost like, "How dare these nobodies foil our careful plans for Chris and Kat???"

Yeah, I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but if you think AI is completely on the up-and-up then you're more gullible than I am.