Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

carrobin
Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:32 am Reply with quote
I looked up Sanditon on the PBS site because I was sure it couldn't be the finale. But it was. There seems to be a possibility that there will be a second season, but since it's a British production and no second season was planned, it depends on whether it's drawn enough viewers. Apparently there's already a fan rebellion demanding it, though. So many unanswered questions, not to mention at least two better possible endings (I was expecting the Caribbean heiress to come to the rescue, or the wealthy widow to relent and pay up if only to save her investment). The tease of the hero stopping the heroine's coach just to say farewell was downright sadistic. I know how Elvis felt when he shot his TV set.
mitty
Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
bartist wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Unless you're into the whole heartbreak thing. I have missed Alan Cumming since The Good Wife concluded a couple years ago, so I'm tempted to see what he's done with a procedural.

CBS ran an episode of their web series The Good Fight (sequel to TGW) last Sunday, which I watched. Meh. Still not tempted to subscribe to All Access just to see that and ST Discovery.

Not that mushroom-powered warp drives are totally without interest.

Hi bartist. I did cave and finally watch ST:Discovery. Didn’t like it at all, but when the second season had streamed, I restarted it, and was able to get into it. The second season has some good stuff, including back story on Captain Pike, which considering the original eps on him were really neat.

I have doubts about the third season.....but I’ll keep remembering...”it’s not even close to the original Roddenberry vision”.

Picard is a bit pretentious and wordy for my taste. Lots of posturing. May improve, I read it’s already been picked up for a second season.

Re the Alan Cummings detective show.....its pretty good for canned stuff. He is great in it.
bartist
Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:11 am Reply with quote
Hi, Mitty. The second season, from the synopsis I've seen, looks better to me, too, with the Pike narrative which can't fail to draw in old OS fans like me. I have the DVD on hold at the library.

Thanks for your thoughts on Picard. I will fix a cup of Early Grey and consider.

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:16 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I looked up Sanditon on the PBS site because I was sure it couldn't be the finale. But it was. There seems to be a possibility that there will be a second season, but since it's a British production and no second season was planned, it depends on whether it's drawn enough viewers. Apparently there's already a fan rebellion demanding it, though. So many unanswered questions, not to mention at least two better possible endings (I was expecting the Caribbean heiress to come to the rescue, or the wealthy widow to relent and pay up if only to save her investment). The tease of the hero stopping the heroine's coach just to say farewell was downright sadistic. I know how Elvis felt when he shot his TV set.

Thumbs Up emoji.

Yes, we saw the sadism in the coach scene. I will say that Rose Williams (Charlotte) is an actress who knows how to use her eyes.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
Today I found that a channel I seldom watch was running a "Person of Interest" marathon, and was glued to it for several hours. It struck me that John Reese could have been the inspiration for John Wick--a serious and beautiful gentleman who demonstrates an improbable expertise when dealing with villains. Except that when Reese shoots someone it's usually in the leg, while Wick has a more lethal aim. On the other hand, I don't think Wick is as skilled in defenestration.
mitty
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Carrobin, we really enjoyed Person of Interest too. I was heartbroken when the woman detective, Carter was killed, and heartened when the gangster took revenge for her. Yes, Reese was great, but I really liked Finch. He’s the same actor that played in Lost. Good actor.

Bartist, we’ve seen all but the last two eps of Picard. Stewart is still posturing, but there is enough action from others to make it bearable. I guess what I really dislike about the series is the serious departure from Roddenberry’s vision. While more realistic, it is still disheartening and way too dark.

Also, all the talk about Picard being the “best” Captain is truly annoying. I’ve watched Star Trek from the very beginning and heartily disagree with that statement. Kirk was what I’d call a joyous cowboy in a morally improving century. Picard, while good, was too uptight for my taste.
mitty
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Just to be thorough, I wanted to say we’ve just watched the last two eps of Picard. I believe there is redemption in the last episode. Some may consider the ending schmaltzy. However it brought some of the “old feeling” back for me. Smile
bartist
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:10 am Reply with quote
Ozark

Two episodes in, I was tempted to call this "Missouri Breaking Bad, " but am already seeing past the surface similarities, and finding something different... more about its geographic location. BB, for all its pretty desert shots, felt like it could have been anywhere. Batman and Linney are both doing fine work here, bringing something fresh to the fish out of water trope. And I'm giving up on fixing my auto-correct. If it wants to keep calling him Jason Batman, whatever.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:10 pm Reply with quote
The first season finale was too preposterous for me. But it's a good show up till then. I kept thinking Jacob looked so familiar (the redneck poppy farmer)... realized it was the guy who's James Delos on "Westworld. " In a way, they're similar roles, both businessmen willing to take whatever steps are needed.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Tonight CNN has a special report at 9:00 about Trump and conspiracy theories. At last we'll find out whether Hillary Clinton really is running a child slavery ring based beneath Chuck E. Cheese.....
Ghulam
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:15 am Reply with quote
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/26/arts/television/johnny-carson-tonight-show.html

bartist
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:54 am Reply with quote
Alas, Grey Lady, your paywall has gotten much stricter lately. But I agree with the head and the subtitle which I was allowed to read. Carson had some wit, like Dick Cavett, the other talkshow host I liked back in the day. Both were from Nebraska. As am I.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:25 am Reply with quote
After two episodes of "Maniac" I am uncertain if I want to keep up with this bizarre retro-futuristic dramedy or not. On the one hand, it is beautifully filmed and has touches of sci-fi whimsy (we seem to be in an alternate 1980, which is sorta the future as imagined in 1980, with koala robots that play chess with you, and poop-scooping robots, and everyone drenched in advertising) and A list actors whose characters seem on the verge of interesting psychological breakdowns. OTOH, it's hard to make sense of all the ideas tossed out there, many having that patina of pseudoprofundity that suggests young writers in late night bull sessions who have lost their erasers. And it seems to be going in a Chris Nolan-y Inception-y direction that promises more of the same.

Has anyone seen this series?

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Guess that's a no.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:33 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else catch the Medal of Honor ceremony on CNN this afternoon? I happened across it while flipping channels--it hadn't been given any publicity that I know of, but there was Trump rolling through a script describing the soldier's history and heroic deeds (rescuing hostages in Iraq), and the guy stood there expressionless, maybe uneasy about being on stage or maybe thinking about Trump's opinion of military heroes. Trump put the medal around his neck and then the wife and son came up to stand beside him, to some applause--it was a very small audience. Then awkward silence. The soldier said nothing, the wife said nothing, Trump looked uncomfortable. Then Trump left with Melania. And I haven't seen a thing about it in the news today. And as I recall, the Medal of Honor is a big deal.