Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

bartist
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
You're welcome. I was offline and sans tv all week, so missed it. Am also looking for a video of Westworld....have heard extraordinary levels of praise for it. HBO, I think, so might have to subscribe to see it.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
My sister in South Carolina kept telling me I had to watch Bravo's "Southern Comfort," which is based around Charleston. So I watched a few episodes last night. It has great scenery and pretty people, but it's basically a "reality" show about immature men and women getting into pointless arguments. I had to tell her that it's not my kind of show, but I might try it again when they grow up. (I recommended "Downward Dog" to her--she'd love it.)
carrobin
Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about a female Doctor Who. It's fine to have female Time Lords, but it'll require a stretch to accept a woman as the Doctor (though stretching has always been part of the show, of course). I'll keep watching--but I know I'll always prefer David Tennant to any other regeneration that comes along.
bartist
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
I don't see any objection to a female doctor. Unless it's about a single conscious being have gender identity issues when they wake up in the new body. But it seems like a nice glass ceiling breakage for the series. Or is that the problem, that it feels like tinkering with tradition for some kind of "meta" political reason?

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't "object" to a female Doctor--like I said, I just have mixed feelings. (I prefer female doctors in my real life, by the way.) There's something about the Doctor's charisma that seems particularly male, though there have been a couple of Doctors some years back who had no charisma at all, in my opinion, and if a female Doctor had followed one of them, my feelings might not be so mixed.

Changing the subject--"Person of Interest" has been running on Saturday afternoons for a while on our channel 11, and it's now down to the last few (harrowing) episodes. I'm tempted to buy the DVD set of the series, although it seems unlikely that I'd ever have the time to sit down and watch them from the start, as I'd like to. (I've had the "Buffy" DVDs for years now and have watched very few.) But I once read a comment from some critic that "Michael Emerson gives a master's class in acting every week"--which made me appreciate the subtleties of Finch's reactions even more. And the scripts, especially now as the series winds down and explores the ethics and hazards of AI and personal freedom and similar philosophical puzzles, are brilliant. I wish they could have ended the series the way Nolan wanted to, instead of wrapping it up in a few dense episodes.
bartist
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
PoI, and the UK series "Humans" are 2 of the best explorations of the possibilities and pitfalls of AI to be found. Have also heard some praise for the new "Westworld" series, but won't be seeing that until the DVD release in November 2017.

On Dr. Who, yeah, I get the mixed feelings - that makes sense to me, in terms of this alien having an underlying personality that tends to fit with one gender more than the other. I did not mean to characterize your response as an objection, Carro.

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Ozark on Netflix is a terrific series.
bartist
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
Will check it out. Welcome back, "moderator." Smile

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Will check it out. Welcome back, "moderator." Smile

I was unceremoniously blocked for months.
bartist
Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Weird. Chilly and Lorne never post here. No reason they shouldn't give you Admin status and then, with this type of board software platform, you can't ever be blocked. As an admin elsewhere on the web, I use the same phpbb2 software, and I don't see how you could have been blocked in the first place. Unless one of Vlad Putin's 400 pound guys on a bed somewhere hacked into 3rdEF and blocked your account.

No, that is really a baffling cyber mystery.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The Orville is probably doomed, and I was about to give up on it about ten minutes into the second episode when it suddenly got pretty good (when the young, totally inexperienced officer suddenly found herself in charge of the ship). The third episode was better, and made some good points on gender equality. The Holodeck scene made me laugh. The real problem with the show is that it's too parasitic on "Star Trek" without really being an effective parody. It's better when it's somewhat serious. But why are 25th century characters so obsessed with 21st century cultural references?

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
The second season of "The Good Place" started last night with an hour-long episode, and it was amusing, if a bit scattered and maybe confusing for someone just finding the show. The four miscreants from the first season had had their memories erased so that the ambitious manager from Hell, Ted Danson, could make another effort at fooling them into thinking they were in Heaven while feeling (the diabolical part) extremely unhappy. But Eleanor (Kristen Bell) is outwitting him again, and the new twist (because last season, we didn't know the "Heaven" was a trick) should be fun. The best lines last night, though, were the curses ("Forking shirtballs!").
bartist
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
The Orville is probably doomed, and I was about to give up on it about ten minutes into the second episode when it suddenly got pretty good (when the young, totally inexperienced officer suddenly found herself in charge of the ship). The third episode was better, and made some good points on gender equality. The Holodeck scene made me laugh. The real problem with the show is that it's too parasitic on "Star Trek" without really being an effective parody. It's better when it's somewhat serious. But why are 25th century characters so obsessed with 21st century cultural references?

I saw the first 2 eps, and did find a slight blip upwards in the 2nd one, but it still seems rather sophomoric in its humor and in its ST infatuation, the aforementioned cultural references, and not quite knowing where it should land on the drama-comedy spectrum. The first ep had a pee joke that seemed more in line with one of McFarlane's Family Guy scripts. I had the feeling that it is indeed much burdened by the need to constantly reference famous ST:OS episodes - e.g. The Menagerie riff in the second episode. I didn't watch this week, or plan to again, but being an old Trekkie it's possible I will have weak moments.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
You should check out the third episode, either on Hulu or whenever it gets rerun on FX. (For some reason FX gets the reruns.) It has much less of the sophomoric humor--except for the holodeck sequence which I found funny, and which all holodeck sequences deserve--and a lot more character development and pretty good drama. It also helps when the focus is not on MacFarlane's captain and his ex-mate.

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
Will have a look.

And now there's a sixth ST series, piloting tonight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery

I await little sister of Spock spilling the beans: what's your brother's first name? I don't care if it's unpronounceable, just spell it out for us.