Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
It's no secret to anyone who knows me that I have been a huge fan of "Bates Motel" since its very first season, but never has it approached the level of mind-blowing, blindsiding brilliance that it did last night in the episode where "Psycho" and "Bates Motel" finally meet head-on. Marion Crane (Rihanna) finally takes that shower, and that's where spoiler alerts take over, but the results are astonishing.
bartist
Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I've seen DVD boxes in stores and felt a tug, so maybe this will tip me towards watching. Looking at the wiki, I see the series comes from Carlton Cuse, one of the creative forces behind "Lost," and I also see that Nestor Carbonell, a "Lost" veteran, is in the cast, so am definitely curious now. Thanks. Shot around Vancouver, like so many series that are set in Oregon or Washington. I love those Pacific Northwest ambiences. Twin Peaks, X-Files, Grimm....I see now that Bates Motel is the next blank waiting to be filled in.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
We don't have a television equivalent for "Couch Is a View," but I was purging my videotape collection and decided I really should have DVDs of "Planet Earth" and "The Blue Planet" (but I really want "Life on Earth" and "The Living Planet," because I prefer Sir David as the host rather than the narrator, though I understand why he at age 90 isn't gallivanting around the world like he used to. Those series, alas, are Region 2 and I'm not sure I have an all-region DVD player). I also got Life, six episodes of which I had on disk, and discovered I had never actually watched the episodes.

This one seems more into the unusual strategies life adopts to hunt, feed, protect themselves, going from one group of animals to another. For example, we see cheetahs coordinate an attack, then see Komodo dragons do the same, both of which seem like learned behavior. Late, after watching meerkats teaching their young, we see elephants passing knowledge through the generations with no comment that we just saw meerkats do the same.

This is well worth watching, but Attenborough did series highlighting each group of animals, and I like his own better. Still, this is worth a look because it has a lot of surprises as well as "how the hell did they film THAT" moments.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
The "Bones" finale was excellent. Last week's episode ended with the Jeffersonian labs being destroyed by a massive bomb, and this one began with our heroes crawling out of the wreckage calling for their co-workers. Everyone survived (unlike in the finale of "Person of Interest"), but Brennan feared she had lost her skills--she remembered the names of bones but not the details that were her expertise. She told Booth that she didn't know who she was anymore, and in a little scene that nearly made me cry (especially because it was between a middle-aged husband and wife rather than a couple of young lovers), he told her she was his wife and he loved her and that was what mattered. But her full memory was coming back by the end, and the other fears and losses were sorted out and even made better by the final credits--very satisfying, if not quite believable. That was a pretty great series.
bartist
Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
"King of the lab!"

There were many farfetched plots in those 12 years, but I really liked the characters and enjoyed checking in with them even after I stopped watching regularly. And the respect for the scientific method was higher than in most tv shows.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
I've seen DVD boxes in stores and felt a tug, so maybe this will tip me towards watching. Looking at the wiki, I see the series comes from Carlton Cuse, one of the creative forces behind "Lost," and I also see that Nestor Carbonell, a "Lost" veteran, is in the cast, so am definitely curious now. Thanks. Shot around Vancouver, like so many series that are set in Oregon or Washington. I love those Pacific Northwest ambiences. Twin Peaks, X-Files, Grimm....I see now that Bates Motel is the next blank waiting to be filled in.

Funny, I could never begin to get into Lost, hard as I tried, and the more supernatural it became the more it "lost" me. However, I have always liked Nestor Carbonell, ever since I first met him in the 90s at an Oscar party, so that was just one more added pleasure for me in Bates Motel. As good as Carbonell is, however, the performances of Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore are what nail Bates to the wall. They are absolutely magnificent, and along with Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys from The Americans are the most unfairly un-awarded actors on television.
Syd
Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see Grimm go, but at least the epidemic of covered-up murders plaguing Portland Oregon, is finally over. Perhaps some other city will take over as the murder capital of the United States.

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
With "Bones" and "Grimm" gone, I'm down to "Elementary," "Agents of SHIELD," "Blindspot", "Grey's Anatomy," "The Magicians," "The Expanse" and "The Librarians." And "Sherlock," if that continues. "Once Upon a Time" wore out its welcome about the time it introduced Captain Hook, and "How to Get Away With Murder" turned into one of the worst shows I've ever seen.

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Fortunately the newish Cozi channel shows "Columbo" on the weekends--also "The Avengers" in the wee hours, but now they've progressed to the Tara King episodes and I doze off. That chemistry between Steed & Mrs. Peel doesn't exist between Steed & Miss King, and the plots are too silly to stay awake for.
bartist
Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Grimm didn't seem that suspenseful to me, in latter seasons, but often had enjoyable whimsy. Didn't like the finale - obvious twist and too many actors stiffening their upper lips too often.

Down to The Catch, which I thought I would hate, but it has something, an archness and humor that grows on me.

Nothing else on broadcast tube, except the occasional Frontline and bbc miniseries like Q. Vick.

Best thing in the tv universe? The Americans. Dvd-ing season 4, and almost powerless to only watch 1 ep at a time. Ochen choroshi!

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
"The Americans" definitely sounds like a show I'd like, but I'm overwhelmed with too much entertainment. Besides the books (everywhere), there are the DVDs I've bought and the disks my Internet-savvy friend sends me (I've got "Hidden Figures" on top but haven't had time for it), and the magazines that are dense with things I want to read (the New Yorker and Time come every week, and Vanity Fairs are stacked back to 2012). Not to mention the newspapers. And I do have a job that cuts into my time (though not as much as it did when I had to commute). And there's the Internet.....
bartist
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Earl wrote:
bart wrote:
"Prison Break" restarts in 10 days. This year Michael will free himself and his brother from a Panamanian jail with only a splinter of dried tortilla and a strand of dental floss. Can't wait.

Or maybe one of the Panamanian prisoners in there has the designs of the entire prison encrypted into a full body tattoo. Anyway, I can't wait either. I've almost completely forgotten how we left things, but I have the sense it won't matter much to my enjoyment level of the show.

Don't know if Earl still looks in here, but I will mention that Prison Break returns, as a sequel series tonight. Picks up 7 years later, with a hunt for Michael, who will be chipped from a block of carbonite or otherwise be raised from the dead. ]

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Carro, fortunately "The Americans" is a period drama so, if you don't watch it till 2025, it will still be the 80s. And, by then, considered a classic.

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Grimm didn't seem that suspenseful to me, in latter seasons, but often had enjoyable whimsy. Didn't like the finale - obvious twist and too many actors stiffening their upper lips too often.

I had it figured that the stick was one of the relics that were supposedly part of the True Cross, given its powers, where it was found, who found it, and where it was buried. Not necessarily a piece of the literal True Cross, but I was surprised it wasn't brought up.

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
Missed some of the episodes on the stick and its provenance. To me, it's magical enough that people can vogue (sp?), so I don't like to add too many other magical elements. If they throw in DaVinci Code stuff, it's too many ingredients in the stew. JMO (and a fairly uninformed O, at that)

Anyone see Colbert last night? His takedown of the Kendall Jenner ad was hilarious.