Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

carrobin
Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
True, I haven't worn a skirt since 1994 (for a job interview). But generally I don't really look so macho.
bartist
Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
Good to know. Smile

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I recall there are Grimm fans here. Anyone else find the Adalyn subplot kind of weak and uninvolving? Sorry to say I found the "get me my bayyybeeee!" scenes bordering on the comical and I don't think they were intended as such. I wanted someone to say, "Sorry, but the dingo ate your bayyy-be!" I think the supercute young Grimm "apprentice" is to try and bolster the demographic.
knox
Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
carrobin
Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Last night PBS showed the Matthew Bourne version of "Sleeping Beauty," quite different from the classic ballet, which I've seen a couple of times. Loved most of it, but it was often confusing. Vampire fairies are very sexy, though.
bartist
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
knox wrote:
I recall there are Grimm fans here. Anyone else find the Adalyn subplot kind of weak and uninvolving? Sorry to say I found the "get me my bayyybeeee!" scenes bordering on the comical and I don't think they were intended as such. I wanted someone to say, "Sorry, but the dingo ate your bayyy-be!" I think the supercute young Grimm "apprentice" is to try and bolster the demographic.

She certainly bolstered my demographic. Very Winonaryderesque. (take that, spellchecker!)

Agree it's time for a dingo to eat the baby, and mom.

Anyone check out the new series with the bipolar neurologist, played with manic intensity and some sexual heat, by Kelly Reilly? "Black Box." It was sorta clunky, and many things didn't quite work, but I might catch a couple more.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Grimm always seems to have one continuing subplot that doesn't work, and Adelind and her baby is this year's. I tend to fast-forward through it. Last year it was amnesic Julie. The rest of the show's fine.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:25 am Reply with quote
LOL, yes the amnesiac Julie thing was borderline ridiculous.

P of I - oh, dear.

But great to see Carrie Preston again. Once again saved by the adoring Harold (her off-screen husband...lucky bastard).

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Gray's Anatomy found a way for Sandra Oh to exit with dignity, and really did her proud over the last few episodes. Although Isaiah Washington has become a really terrible actor. I trust Christina's eventual win of the Nobel Prize in Medicine will make up for losing the "Harper Avery."

Also glad to see Amy's back.

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching the new 24 right now and so far it's damn good!
carrobin
Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
"24" started at a run and kept getting faster. Breathless plot, good actors (Stephen Fry does show up in such odd places), enough familiarity with the past but not leaning on it to the exclusion of new viewers. Funny that "Castle" then featured some of the same plot points--the "you're off the case" bit, and framing some good guys and targeting them for murder. I'm glad Bauer came first--"Castle" was a good one, but it suffered a little in comparison with the ruthless pace of "24."
Syd
Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I'm glad Gray's Anatomy found a way for Sandra Oh to exit with dignity, and really did her proud over the last few episodes. Although Isaiah Washington has become a really terrible actor. I trust Christina's eventual win of the Nobel Prize in Medicine will make up for losing the "Harper Avery."

Also glad to see Amy's back.

I realize now there are two episodes left. Still enough time to have Christina die somehow, but I hope they just let her go.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
Just saw the first two eps of "the Americans" - wow. The highly kinetic use of FM's "Tusk" in the pilot was one of those synergies of soundtrack and action that directors must surely live for. Paranoia, thrills, dark humor, an inversion of the suburban idyll - the show seems to deliver what it promises.

Glad you recommended this, BW.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
"...(Stephen Fry does show up in such odd places)..."

Yeah, car, it was a surprise when he came on. Makes a good British PM.
carrobin
Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else check out "Penny Dreadful"? I thought it was going to be too weird and creepy for my taste at first, but I got pulled in. The Victorian London underworld makes a wonderfully sinister setting. I'll keep up with it for a while.