Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

marantzo
Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
knox wrote:
If you watch on a regular basis, there's some backstory that makes more sense of Alicia's dalliance. And Peter (Noth), in the past, has done things that don't really promote wifely loyalty. "....seems to be a much better and mature person...." -- seems, but isn't.

I really enjoy the guests who come in and play various kinds of bastards and bitches, like MJ Fox, Matt Perry, Martha Plimpton. And there are the recurring Amanda Peet apps, which make my hubbahubba-meter redline. Throw in the very amusing Carrie Preston, an odd Michael Bloomberg cameo, and you've got the sort of bread and circuses I like to munch on.

I have seen every episode, and Noth's actions in the past is behind him and if he wasn't lying to Alicia, he is reformed. When he asked her, in last week's episode, if she would be married to him again, she smiled and said that she would. Doesn't seem to have been all that honest. In the last scene this week, though, she seems to be planning to avoid Will in the future by changing law companies. She can't seem to help herself when he's around. Smile
Syd
Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I thought it was amusing (and awkward) how Hank on Grimm got suddenly sent on vacation because the actor broke his leg.

Like Rosalee spending months at her aunt's because the actress was pregnant.

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
I wondered about the Hank hiatus. Nice F/X last week with the lava dude. That bit of watchful obsidian could serve as a paperweight, i.e. a way to keep an eye on things. Sporadic watcher, I didn't entirely follow the sidestory with the gypsy gynecologist or whatever, but I've got the summer to catch up. I'm not sure "Grimm" is good televison, but it is irresistably fun.

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
OK, anyone who has missed and plans to see last night's episodes of Bones, The Following and Hawaii 5'0, don't read my reviews of them.

First off was Bones. They brought back the genius fruitcake who liked to kill people. I figured, "OK, kill him already and move on. Please!" The episode was interesting but didn't end up killing him. How stupid and hackneyed, just like so many series that keep some evil mass murderer alive way past the best before date and stretched to the next season. The Bones writers should know better than that. It's not a soap opera! Really disappointing.

Next up was The Following which I never really liked but after last weeks episode, which was in the realm of Criminal Mindsand I hated, but this week was the rap-up of the season so I wanted to see them kill the bad guy and his following. They did eventually kill him which i was happy about but then had some of his followers killed two of the good women at the end which was ridiculous and disgusting. If the series does come back next season, I certainly won't be watching that dreck again.

Then we had Hawaii 5'0. For some inane reason they had the episode covered by a live TV reality thing. Stupid idea. Yun Fat (or whatever his name was), came onto the episode and was shot in the face near the end and I was glad of that, but it ends with him unconscious in a hospital bed bandaged up. Well isn't that surprising? I'll bet ten to one that he'll come back in the next season.

To sum up, TV crime series have copied almost every other crime series with the very very bad guys (or gals if they have any), going on from series to series. I'm really pissed that some very good shows copy from some very bad shows and some good shows that at least start with an unknown killer until he/she is done-in at the end of the series and does involve other crimes during their stretch.

Three programmes that should have been much better. Well not The Following, it was stupid from the beginning.
bartist
Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Am with yeh re Bones. "Pelant" is like a comic book villain, with absurd powers and hacking abilities - what's next, a giant orbiting particle beam he can disintegrate people with? And Bones proposes marriage in some parklike setting where they just happen to have a camera pointed at them? at the right angle to read lips?
Yeah, lazy writers.

And thanks for the warning about The Following. I heard that Annie Parisse got killed off, which is not okay in my book. She suffered that fate on "Person of Interest," too. Saw a bit of The Following earlier this year, and found it implausible on many levels. And the tired cliche - to show true depravity, give him a good education and a British accent. Smile

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I think it was the first episode that I saw of The Following and didn't like it so I didn't watch it again until there was nothing I wanted to see many weeks later and took another look. I think it was the third to last episode. It was a watchable episode so I watched the next week which was the one that was the Criminal Minds kind of crap but I wanted to see the final so I could see the ridiculous idiot that you mentioned above, get killed. He got killed all right but then they screwed it up with their stupid ending. Another thing, he died in a massive fire with huge explosions in some kind on garage. The ones who escaped and were the cause of him being trapped in the fire and all the explosions wanted to be sure he was dead, which was obvious as no one could have lived through that. His remains were tested and it was his DNA and other proofs. I'll bet that next season he will not have died. The show is stupid beyond belief.

What you wrote about Pelant is right on the mark. May as well be Luther of Superman fame.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
The trio of my TV viewing tonight made up for my disappointment last night. NCIS, NCIS LA were both excellent. NCIS the best of the trio. Golden Boy was good also, but was never great.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:15 am Reply with quote
I always thought The Following was like Criminal Minds II and stopped watching after the first or second episode. Guess it's fulfilled its icky potential.

Saw The Good Wife last night. Gary's comments on Peter v. Will are interesting, and I agree with him, although they don't make me dislike Alicia. For one thing, Julianna Margulies's performance makes up for a lot. She's really really good, making Alicia a far more complex creature than most television characters in leading roles.

For another thing, my wife and I have had a running debate about who Alicia should end up with. Dolores says Will; I have always rooted for Peter. I don't think Margulies has nearly as much chemistry with Josh Charles as she does with Chris Noth. Plus, I think Peter is a more mature man. All three actors do bang-up jobs and none of the characters are black or white. The show is one of the very few that manages to combine a weekly plotline with riveting stories about the core cast. Love the show.
marantzo
Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
I always thought The Following was like Criminal Minds II and stopped watching after the first or second episode. Guess it's fulfilled its icky potential.

Saw The Good Wife last night. Gary's comments on Peter v. Will are interesting, and I agree with him, although they don't make me dislike Alicia. For one thing, Julianna Margulies's performance makes up for a lot. She's really really good, making Alicia a far more complex creature than most television characters in leading roles.

For another thing, my wife and I have had a running debate about who Alicia should end up with. Dolores says Will; I have always rooted for Peter. I don't think Margulies has nearly as much chemistry with Josh Charles as she does with Chris Noth. Plus, I think Peter is a more mature man. All three actors do bang-up jobs and none of the characters are black or white. The show is one of the very few that manages to combine a weekly plotline with riveting stories about the core cast. Love the show.

Billy, I don't disagree with anything you wrote about The Following, (but that's a no-brainer) and The Good Wife. The acting is good all around.

I'd like someone to kill Peter's mother, and her boyfriend. Laughing

I think women would mostly vote for Will instead of Peter. I also think that if the situation were reversed and it was a husband who said he would remarry his wife and still smooches with his girlfriend, women would side with the wife instead of the girlfriend. It seems like women usually forgive other women who fool around, always thinking that the husband was no good to her, but hate men who fool around regardless of what kind of wife they had. I still remember talking to some women about Unfaithful. All of them save one, were on the cheating wife's side. They thought she was unhappy in her marriage, ignoring the fact that her husband was a very nice guy. They were all married women by the way and only one of them (I think it was five women I was talking with) said the wife was a slut.

Oh well. Women have a lot of good points too. Very Happy
knox
Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
Marantz, I can see your case for Noth putting his past behind him....I guess my uncertainty is based more on imaginarily peeking over the writer's shoulder and wondering if he might backslide, fueled by the testosterone shot of gubernatorial power. I will agree that Noth and Margulies have more chemistry. I can see her sobered by the prospect of being Illinois' first lady, or it going the other way and she is so overwhelmed that she wants to sneak off with Will. As Billy said, a nicely complex character.

Saw the last episode of The Following and was kind of shocked that Kevin Bacon basically executed a suspect he had in custody. His character is some kind of loose cannon who crosses lines and runs over the Constitution with cleats on, but that was too much for me. The British villain is terrible...one of the worst performances on network television.
marantzo
Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
There may be a lot of changes next season for The Good Wife. Peter might be ousted as Governor if found out about the rigged election, even though he had nothing to do with it. Alicia may actually change law offices. Kalinda may kill her ex. Will might get married. The goofy, brilliant lawyer may join the new Law office. Peter's mother might kill her gigolo.

I can dream, can't I?

Oh yeah, the guy who played the main nutcase (among many many nutcases) was dreadful, though the writers may have been equally to blame with the script they gave him.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
There may be a lot of changes next season for The Good Wife. Peter might be ousted as Governor if found out about the rigged election, even though he had nothing to do with it. Alicia may actually change law offices. Kalinda may kill her ex. Will might get married. The goofy, brilliant lawyer may join the new Law office. Peter's mother might kill her gigolo.

I can dream, can't I?

Kalinda and her ex is a plotline that still remains hanging. The last we saw of him was threatening Kalinda and then she told Alicia he wouldn't be a problem any more. The question is: has she already killed him?
billyweeds
Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
Finally up to date with Mad Men, The Americans, and Bates Motel after letting work interfere with appropriate TV viewing. Smile

Mad Men handled the MLK assassination movingly and also afforded Jon Hamm one of the most affecting scenes in MM history, as he acknowledged his growing sense of what it is to be a responsible parent. Hamm should present this clip as his entry in the Golden Globes-Emmy contest for this year. He might finally rack up a win.

The Americans continues to be as suspenseful as all get-out, and also as sexually graphic as non-premium TV has ever been. Alison Wright came to orgasm for the second time, literally "under" the estimable Matthew Rhys. The show is remarkably well-made and very well acted. The arguably overexposed Margo Martindale outdoes herself, and Keri Russell remains a startlingly forceful presence. Richard Thomas and--particularly--Noah Emmerich add to the mix. Emmerich deserves some sort of supporting award. He's tremendous.

Bates Motel is getting more and more needlessly complicated and a tad cheesy, but it still holds the attention, and Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore are superb in the leads.
bartist
Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
My cable/premium channel watchings are done via DVD, and I will definitely check out The Americans when the first season comes available.

Last night, Person of Interest fans were treated to the most mindblowing episode in the series so far, where much was revealed about the relationship between Harold and former partner Nathan Ingraham, the nature of the Machine, and the various cabals and conspiracies whirling around possible access to the "back door" of the Machine. Also, the origin of the mysterious Chinese laptop virus and glimpse of the company behind the wrinkly Limey. And a wondrous hook is set for the season finale. Wow. This may be the best sci-fi series in the last couple decades of network tv.

(anyone catch the NXNW film reference?)

Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Best episode of the season. Up there with the dog eating Ken Leung's bearer bonds and getting its name. You feel so sad for the Machine, trying to save its memories with a roomful of temps typing away, getting its "self" obliterated every night. We are in Philip K. Dick country with this one. And it shifts perspective, AGAIN, on "Root" aka Samantha, as the PETA activist of AI's.