Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

bartist
Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Watched that Castle. Wonderful. I was very dubious for the first half. It seemed like less an homage than a ripoff, with Beckett acting way out of character. But all was resolved and ultimately believable. A terrific episode.

Just saw it. 2nd that. As Castle himself said, "That was epic!"

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm pissed off with BBC America. Last night I watched "Spies of Warsaw," which was a bit disappointing but had David Tennant and Nazis so it kept me interested, but at the bottom right corner of the screen throughout the entire two hours (except commercials) was a bright white-lettered promo for "Orphan Black." Dark streets, dark forests, sinister dark rooms, all with "Orphan Black" glaring in the corner. Do the people at BBC A not understand that on-screen promos jerk viewers out of the story? Bad enough the way most stations do it, for a few minutes at a time, but through the entire show? Fortunately I saw enough of "Orphan Black" last weekend to know I don't want to watch it anyway, because I never would after this experience.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I'm pissed off with BBC America. Last night I watched "Spies of Warsaw," which was a bit disappointing but had David Tennant and Nazis so it kept me interested, but at the bottom right corner of the screen throughout the entire two hours (except commercials) was a bright white-lettered promo for "Orphan Black." Dark streets, dark forests, sinister dark rooms, all with "Orphan Black" glaring in the corner. Do the people at BBC A not understand that on-screen promos jerk viewers out of the story? Bad enough the way most stations do it, for a few minutes at a time, but through the entire show? Fortunately I saw enough of "Orphan Black" last weekend to know I don't want to watch it anyway, because I never would after this experience.

Agree wholeheartedly (and heatedly) with this post. Those on-screen promos are a blight.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:22 am Reply with quote
Shared that episode of Castle with my wife and brother-in-law last night. For most of it they were properly terrified but ultimately gobsmacked, blindsided, and thrilled. It's an instant classic.
carrobin
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
Glad I mentioned "Castle" on Tuesday. I'm really surprised so few people had seen it. ("Best. Episode. EVER!" as Castle might say.)
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
For some unfathomable reason my brother-in-law had never seen Rear Window. That situation is now remedied. Of course I had to sit through it again. What a drag! Razz Razz Razz
daffy
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
Loved that episode.

Unlike so many other shows, Castle has somehow managed to stay fun even after the main characters have finally gotten together.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
carrobin
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
daffy wrote:
Unlike so many other shows, Castle has somehow managed to stay fun even after the main characters have finally gotten together.

That's another thing "Castle" and "Bones" have in common. Too bad "Moonlighting" couldn't cut it--I loved that show.
bartist
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
And again, a parallel to "Bones." Smile

"Person of Interest" returns:

SPOILERS

Nice to have the show back, getting right into it with an escalating HR subplot (but very sad to lose Carter's love interest, Cal Beecher, as Quinn decides that he's too much trouble), a more active role for Bear, beautiful programmers for Finch to crack firewalls and talk code with, the further emergence of the shadowy cabal of wrinkly Brits, and generally so much going on that I almost wished for some kind of flowchart by the third act. At some point, I guess we will have more clues as to the doings of the sexy secret agent who dropped in on Finch and proclaimed her desire for a new hobby while eliciting some tail-thumping from Bear. And Elias is up to something, as usual, and I wasn't quite able to connect his dots...but that's what I love and respect about this show.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
Missed the first fifteen or twenty minutes of "Person of Interest" last night because my mother called. (I was watching, but couldn't listen.) But good show anyway. I really liked that line from the sinister beauty when she was talking to Finch and said something about "your attack dog, and Bear." (I guess they had to kill off one of the good guys, but I'm glad it wasn't Bear.)
knox
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
I, too, laughed at "your trained attack dog....and Bear." Was surprised to see Cal go down - had major cop charisma. HR better watch out...Carter's coming.

Avoid "Hannibal." The Will Graham here seems a mass of tics, grimaces, and emotings that is simply painful to watch. You, sir, are no William Petersen. Or Ed Norton. The Danish actor ("Igor and Coco" - he played Stravinsky) who is Lecter is okay and maybe truer to Thomas Harris' books, but they look to be making Graham the focal role.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
knox wrote:
The Will Graham here seems a mass of tics, grimaces, and emotings that is simply painful to watch. You, sir, are no William Petersen. Or Ed Norton.

Don't tell Claire Danes that. She's married to Hugh Dancy in private life. He was fine in MaryMargaretMarthaMelissa and on Broadway in Venus in Fur and Journey's End.

If one wanted to be picky, one could describe Danes's Carrie in Homeland as "a mass of tics, grimaces, and emotings."
Marc
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Watched ORPHAN BLACK on BBC America last night. Every 15 minute was a commercial for a diabetes product and some kind of loan company. Bottom tier commercials destroyed the viewing experience. The show is compelling otherwise.
bartist
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
knox wrote:
The Will Graham here seems a mass of tics, grimaces, and emotings that is simply painful to watch. You, sir, are no William Petersen. Or Ed Norton.

Don't tell Claire Danes that. She's married to Hugh Dancy in private life. He was fine in MaryMargaretMarthaMelissa and on Broadway in Venus in Fur and Journey's End.

If one wanted to be picky, one could describe Danes's Carrie in Homeland as "a mass of tics, grimaces, and emotings."

I liked Dancy in May Megan Mumble Marzipan, but would agree his Will Graham needs some kind of restraint. It seems like, ever since "Monk," that every crime scene whisperer now has to be either autistic, eccentric, or neurotic as a cat in a rocking chair factory. But I won't be watching "Hannibal" anyway, as it looks like one more serial killer show ("Rule of Two" with Fox's "The Following" ?) that no amount of Thomas Harris holy water sprinkled could possibly render interesting.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Marc, I'll probably watch Orphan Black tonight. It's on our Space Channel so the ads may be better. Surprised)

..." It seems like, ever since "Monk," that every crime scene whisperer now has to be either autistic, eccentric, or neurotic as a cat in a rocking chair factory. But I won't be watching "Hannibal" anyway, as it looks like one more serial killer show ("Rule of Two" with Fox's "The Following" ?) that no amount of Thomas Harris holy water sprinkled could possibly render interesting."

We'er on the same page here, Bart.