Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

Marj
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Marj wrote:
Smash is apparently not being cancelled this season. It is being moved to Saturday night. I'm surprised it's not being moved to Saturday morning, say about 6 AM.

This is the latest. This could always change again.

Unbelievable. I have a feeling Debra Messing and Anjelica Huston are tearing their hair out while making huge deposits at the bank.

It is indeed a shame. Why did the mess with such an interesting concept?They had to have known going in that a show about 'life upon the wicked stage" only had a small audience. But it was loyal one. And now, an angry one.
bartist
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed watching Alicia turn the flamethrower on Jordan, the knowitall kid on Peter's campaign. The inquest seemed sort of unlikely, though. Only three questions allowed?

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Man, I must really be under the weather - there is something going around. I was just reading Bart's post, and kept thinking, I didn't know there was an Alicia in Smash.
bartist
Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
LOL! Yeah, I needed an intro sentence to indicate I was talking about The Good Wife. A coroner's inquest on "Smash" would certainly make an interesting plot twist.

"Castle" fans were treated to a funny show last night, with Rick's imagination working overtime, and a Wes Craven appearance, as himself.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
ENLIGHTENED has been cancelled. Fuck!
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:26 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
ENLIGHTENED has been cancelled. Fuck!

Noooooo!!!!!!
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:50 am Reply with quote
Are you ready for one of the best performances in a series in years? Check into (pardon the pun) Bates Motel and revel in and marvel at Vera Farmiga's absolutely great (yes, I will use the word) turn as Mother Bates, the person who helped turn son Norman into the maniac of Hitchcock's Psycho. In this "contemporary prequel" (everybody uses cell phones but the story predates Psycho) Farmiga makes her character as layered as all get-out--coming off as scary, manipulative, smothering, but still (and this is the really scary thing) as hot as a firecracker. She is helped in her masterful acting by appearing opposite Freddie Highmore as Norman. Highmore was the lead child in Finding Neverland, not one of my favorite films but one in which Highmore shone brightly. In Bates Motel he's a star.

But Vera Farmiga is more than a star. She's in the process of becoming one of the greatest living actors. I don't know how well Bates Motel will fare in the ratings (the style of the show is problematical though extraordinarily intriguing), but Farmiga already deserves the Emmy, the Golden Globe, and anything else they can throw at her. She's...oh, I'm not going to go on any longer. Just. See. Her.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:14 am Reply with quote
You are going to be hearing a lot of high-minded nonsense calling Jane Campion's Sundance series Top of the Lake a masterpiece. Bullshit. It's arty to the max. A police procedural that tries desperately to rise above the genre, it traps Elisabeth Moss and Holly Hunter in its pretentious net. Only Peter Mullan escapes with a neat performance. Skip this one no matter what you hear. It sucks your time. Oh, and it just plain sucks, too.
Marj
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I saw Bates Motel last week, Billy and was relieved to see Vera Farmiga. She enhances anything she's in. How long I'll stick with the show is questionable, but for now, I'm there. (I didn't realize that playing the young Norman was Freddy Highmore.)

This kind of reminds me of the movie Orphan, in which anyone would be embarrassed to admit watching, (read, Me.) but Vera Farmiga and Peter Sarsgaard brought the enterprise up into the guilty pleasure category. And yes, I said: Up!
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Marj--You're right, of course, about Orphan. But I actually liked Bates Motel whereas Orphan was too cheesy to be anything more than a guilty pleasure. Where Farmiga really upped the ante was in a little number called Running Scared (not the Gregory Hines movie) in which she dazzled, and also enhanced her costar Paul Walker's performance. Running Scared is definitely one to watch.
Marj
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Billy - I know it sounds as if I'm comparing the two films. I'm not. I'm only talking about how a few good, really good performances can up the anti. Obviously this doesn't always work. The Phil Spector movie, with the wonderful Al Pacino, might be a good example of a film, in which no amount of good acting can save a boring script.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:37 am Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
The Phil Spector movie, with the wonderful Al Pacino, might be a good example of a film, in which no amount of good acting can save a boring script.

You can say that again. What a loser that movie is.
knox
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/movies-without-pity/bates-motel-other-hitchcock-movies-that-should-become-tv-shows.php

Some intriguing possibilities here. I plan to check out (or "into") Bates Motel.
bartist
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
From EW, Mar. 25...

"Though NBC hasn’t officially said Smash is dead (though really, a move to Saturdays speaks volumes), its stars are beginning to seek employment elsewhere. To wit: Debra Messing has been cast as a married mom in an untitled single-camera comedy at CBS.

In the project from Julie Rottenberg and Elisa Zuritsky, which is based on an Israeli format, Messing will play Shira, a married mom who struggles to balance family, life and work. Messing is in second position on the pilot since technically, NBC still has its hooks in her for Smash — that is, until they officially pull the plug.

Ironically, the two creators of the untitled pilot for CBS were scribes on Smash."

Uh-oh.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
*SIGH*