Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  9th Annual Blanche Award - 2008 AWARD SHOW

gromit
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

No scandal. Sorry.

Sure, but why would two people, including Kate, vote for screenplay but not Best Picture.

They would have to be idiots.

Controversy swirls.

But, then again, I didn't vote for Best Pic.

I had considered voting twice for Eastern Promises, which would have made it a 4-way tie!

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
As in the last couple of years, the Foreign Films category got the fewest number of votes. There were 15 votes. A 16th vote was late, but would have made no difference in the result. Two sent in their apologies, saying they had not seen any of the nominated movies.
lady wakasa
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Someone I work with mentioned that she used to work with Tilda Swinton's brother in London. And that the two of them are a little on the... eccentric side.

chillywilly
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
For Director, it was two of the last 3 votes I got that broke a possible 3 way tie.

David Fincher - 6
Paul Thomas Anderson - 4
Ethan & Joel Coen - 4
David Cronenberg - 3
Sidney Lumet - 2

chillywilly
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Eccentric or not, she nailed that role in Michael Clayton. That scene with her and Clooney outside the deposition room.... I know I've mentioned that a few times, but it was so powerful and moving. I need to get this movie on Blu-Ray here soon.

Trish
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
I'll take cash.

Seriously, it's a lot of fun hanging out together every year for this Blanche thing. We're all part of this award party, which is what makes it fun.

I'm off to bathe kids, get 'em in bed and get me in front of the TV, dinner in hand, for that other show.

Next year is Blanche's big 10. Hmmmm.......

Excellent job! sorry I couldn't be there yesterday - I had to work.

Thanks also to all the vote counters
lady wakasa
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
chillywilly wrote:
Eccentric or not, she nailed that role in Michael Clayton. That scene with her and Clooney outside the deposition room.... I know I've mentioned that a few times, but it was so powerful and moving. I need to get this movie on Blu-Ray here soon.

I think it directly ties into her abilities as an actress (the eccentricity).

gromit
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Yes, very good job.

Would have been great, but you forgot to attach a Hillary head on to the Blanche that Obama was holding.

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
My faith in Blanche is restored after hearing There Will Be Blood SHOULD have been [a] Best Picture winner. That's crazy -- a four-way tie! Where were all the voters?

Next year, we really have to encourage everyone on the forum to vote in the finals, even if they didn't participate in the nominating process. We're in-bred.

Melody, I know that you really really liked TWBB, but please realize that some of us (I'm one) really did NOT like the movie much at all.

I thought the cinematography and the music were great...but could not handle DDL.

And maybe some people weren't able to see it. I realize that other people may be very impressed after they finally see it, but frankly I did not think it merited the Best Picture of the year.
inlareviewer
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:

I thought the cinematography and the music were great...but could not handle DDL.
And I thought DD-L carried it, but couldn't handle the music. It's all so subjective.

Ultimately, it comes down to that not everybody voted in every category. It's the way of the whirrled. You want to see mind-boggling? Come to an L.A. Drama Critics Circle balloting session, but be sure to wear asbestos.
Speaking of bestos, the Best Actress final counts:

Marion Cotillard: 7
Laura Linney: 6
Ellen Page: 5
Julie Christie: 2
Anamaria Marinca: 1

After finishing last night's essentially synthetic Racso show on TiVo, I say with no small certainty that the last thing anybody here needs is to become one of the AMPAS Grampas. My thoughts on it will be posted in Current Film presently.

Pssst: Blanche was a far superior presentation.

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
Well I did vote. I sent Billy an email at 11:34 on Feb 19 - I still have a copy of it in my inbox, but when he didn't get it - I tried to PM and I guess that did not work either. So, I don't know what happened.

I voted for NCFOM - twice.
lshap
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
jeremy wrote:
I heart Tilda Swinton. She is a beautful androgynene, who's retiring, but striking; intense, yet funny; and other wordly, but sharp. She's so not Hollywood it hurts.

I brain Tilda Swinton. She's a pleasure to watch and came across intelligently last night. What the hell - I even heart Tilda Swinton a bit 'cause she poked fun at Clooney with such wit. But with that angular face and body, and fashion sense from Star Trek...I just don't groin Tilda Swinton.
Trish
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:

And I thought DD-L carried it, but couldn't handle the music. It's all so subjective.

Ultimately, it comes down to that not everybody voted in every category. It's the way of the whirrled. You want to see mind-boggling? Come to an L.A. Drama Critics Circle balloting session, but be sure to wear asbestos.
Speaking of bestos, the Best Actress final counts:

Marion Cotillard: 7
Laura Linney: 6
Ellen Page: 5
Julie Christie: 2
Anamaria Marinca: 1

After finishing last night's essentially synthetic Racso show on TiVo, I say with no small certainty that the last thing anybody here needs is to become one of the AMPAS Grampas. My thoughts on it will be posted in Current Film presently.

Pssst: Blanche was a far superior presentation.

Only two votes for Christie, how sad, she was wonderful
Trish
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
jeremy wrote:
I heart Tilda Swinton. She is a beautful androgynene, who's retiring, but striking; intense, yet funny; and other wordly, but sharp. She's so not Hollywood it hurts.

I brain Tilda Swinton. She's a pleasure to watch and came across intelligently last night. What the hell - I even heart Tilda Swinton a bit 'cause she poked fun at Clooney with such wit. But with that angular face and body, and fashion sense from Star Trek...I just don't groin Tilda Swinton.

She is always so interesting to watch - i've enjoyed her performances since Orlando - I was so thrilled she won , my favorite Oscar moment

Another fav moment:

Amy Adams' singing - although I didn't pick that song (preferred Falling Slowly, and glad it won) - she did a fantastic job - what a talent she is - a great showwoman
Syd
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Kristin Chenoweth did well on her song, too.