Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Third Eye's TOP 100 FILMS

Trish
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
yambu wrote:
No. I mean no, it's not lame. We didn't do the list to be different. For me, there are some interesting surprises further down. I just think it's a great list.
I would like to see us put it to use, by getting it out there and attracting new members. And thank you, Gromit.

I agree it's a great list. It's wonderful that Mulholland Dr. is in our top ten, that The Grifters is on the list, and Boogie Nights, as well as the obvious and must-have selections such as Singin' in the Rain and Casablanca.

You can thank me for The Grifters - It was my #1
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quote
Trish wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
yambu wrote:
No. I mean no, it's not lame. We didn't do the list to be different. For me, there are some interesting surprises further down. I just think it's a great list.
I would like to see us put it to use, by getting it out there and attracting new members. And thank you, Gromit.

I agree it's a great list. It's wonderful that Mulholland Dr. is in our top ten, that The Grifters is on the list, and Boogie Nights, as well as the obvious and must-have selections such as Singin' in the Rain and Casablanca.

You can thank me for The Grifters - It was my #1

I knew that, and though I didn't include The Grifters on my top 50, I love it a lot, own it, and was happy to see it on our master list.

I'm mildly sorry to see Vertigo (which was on my top 50, so I obviously love it) become our favorite Hitchcock, above my #1 Rear Window.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:46 am Reply with quote
I had The Grifters at #26.
tirebiter
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quote
One of the reasons "The Grifters" is so wonderful is the nasty, spare screenplay by Donald E. Westlake. If you liked the film, try out one of Westlakes non-humorous novels: the easiest to find is "The Ax," and it's one of his best. Your local library will have a copy.

Now back to your originally scheduled programming.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
tirebiter wrote:
One of the reasons "The Grifters" is so wonderful is the nasty, spare screenplay by Donald E. Westlake. If you liked the film, try out one of Westlakes non-humorous novels: the easiest to find is "The Ax," and it's one of his best. Your local library will have a copy.

Now back to your originally scheduled programming.

The Ax is terrific. Don't confuse it with Westlake's followup The Hook, which is not nearly as good.
yambu
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quote
Trish wrote:
[....I'd be curious to know what films were chosen the most (regardless of rank) - this might point to a film's true popularity
Right. And I'll confess that I didn't give a lot of thought to my list's order, when I got into the middle bulge, and before the bottom. I bet I'm not the only one.
tirebiter
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
(Billy: Agreed about "The Hook"-- good but not great Westlake.)
gromit
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
Trish wrote:
[....I'd be curious to know what films were chosen the most (regardless of rank) - this might point to a film's true popularity
Right. And I'll confess that I didn't give a lot of thought to my list's order, when I got into the middle bulge, and before the bottom. I bet I'm not the only one.

I did post a list of most voted for films at one point.
I think that list was based on 13 lists. I know Earl and possibly Tire contributed a list after I tabulated that.

I might do it again, if it looks easy to do from the assorted raw lists which I have.

The only one who really expressed an interest and didn't get a list in is Marc, ironically because he's too busy with his film-related businesses.

I had expressed the opinion that the order in a list wasn't so important, that a difference between a #30 and 39 pick wouldn't amount to much. But if you look at the bunch-up in the middle of the overall list, with myriad ties, you'll notice that the difference between for example Chinatown at #43 and the 54th slot is only a matter of 7 votes. Or more extreme, the difference between Breathless at #77 and Crumb at #92 is only a matter of 6 votes (58 votes to 52).

I was very surprised that my #4 pick, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, didn't get another vote from anyone and missed the Top 100 with only my 47 votes. Tell me I made a mistake! Outstanding must-see film if anyone here hasn't seen it.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
I demand that Chinatown be moved up on the list!
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:

I was very surprised that my #4 pick, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, didn't get another vote from anyone and missed the Top 100 with only my 47 votes. Tell me I made a mistake! Outstanding must-see film if anyone here hasn't seen it.

I've always been very conflicted about One Flew... There's no doubt that it's a very good movie, but it won the Oscar for Best Picture over Dog Day Afternoon, Nashville, Barry Lyndon, and Jaws, all in their ways (obviously IMO) superior to OFOTCC.
gromit
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
Barry Lyndon was insanely boring. Midway through I found myself focusing on the set designs and costumes. Some excellent wall-paper, but a snooze of a film.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
tirebiter wrote:
I demand that Chinatown be moved up on the list!

Bribes are not unheard of in such situations.
I could be persuaded to re-count the votes.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Barry Lyndon was insanely boring. Midway through I found myself focusing on the set designs and costumes. Some excellent wall-paper, but a snooze of a film.

There are two schools of thought (I've heard them both a lot) about that movie: yours and mine. Mine is that it's a movie to sink into, like a good book. Yours is that it's a movie to sleep to, like an Enya loop.
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
The only one who really expressed an interest and didn't get a list in is Marc, ironically because he's too busy with his film-related businesses.

I had expressed the opinion that the order in a list wasn't so important, that a difference between a #30 and 39 pick wouldn't amount to much. But if you look at the bunch-up in the middle of the overall list, with myriad ties, you'll notice that the difference between for example Chinatown at #43 and the 54th slot is only a matter of 7 votes. Or more extreme, the difference between Breathless at #77 and Crumb at #92 is only a matter of 6 votes (58 votes to 52).

Since Marc posted A LOT of his favorite films in 2 emails (I re-posted them about 10 da. ago), if we ever just tabulate the most posted movies; his films _could_ be included.

I admire gromit's effort on all of this - but I'm not going to volunteer to tabulate. I can't -- too much going on at the moment.
lady wakasa
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
gromit wrote:
Bribes are not unheard of in such situations.
I could be persuaded to re-count the votes.

Okay -

#1 - Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
#2 - King and the Clown (I'm still working on that project)

$500. I'll deduct it off my taxes.