Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  ZODIAC Å film by David Fincher

yambu
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:

....gromit -- go to Frisco in the 70s....
for us who live in the Bay Area, it is either "the City" or San Francisco. Never Frisco.

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
gromit--Feeling the way you do about Fight Club and All the President's Men ("dry" and "dull" are the last words I would apply to it), I will bet...

I am mortified by my grammar here. Probably no one else picked up on this gaffe.
Marc
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Just saw a trailer for THE ZODIAC, a 2005 film on the Zodiac killings. It didn't look very promising.
jeremy
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Billy, pray enlighten those of us more sanguine or oblivious to our mangling of the English language as to what is so mortifying about that fragment.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
jeremy
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Marc wrote:
Just saw a trailer for THE ZODIAC, a 2005 film on the Zodiac killings. It didn't look very promising.

I think it is standard practice to re-issue lesser films on the same theme to take advantage of the buzz generated by a big film. When these appear in video shops, I often hope to myself that nobody takes them thinking they are picking up the current release.

billyweeds
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
Marc wrote:

I think it is standard practice to re-issue lesser films on the same theme to take advantage of the buzz generated by a big film. When these appear in video shops, I often hope to myself that nobody takes them thinking they are picking up the current release.

Philip Baker Hall was in both movies.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
Billy, pray enlighten those of us more sanguine or oblivious to our mangling of the English language as to what is so mortifying about that fragment.

I was not talking about myself as "feeling as you do." I should have said:

"Feeling as you do about FC and ATPM, you will not like Zodiac."

Instead I said, "Feeling as you do, I don't think you will like Zodiac." I think it's called a dangling participle, but whatever it's called, it sounds as if I feel as you do, and I don't. So not only is it ungrammatical, it's inaccurate and misleading.
yambu
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Feeling as you do, I don't.

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I see that now, but you might still feel the need for your qualification, "I don't think." Therefore, you might want to say:

I suspect that, feeling the way you do about xxx, you will not like xxx.

billyweeds
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
I see that now, but you might still feel the need for your qualification, "I don't think." Therefore, you might want to say:

I suspect that, feeling the way you do about xxx, you will not like xxx.

Great fix.
ehle64
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:56 am Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
ehle64 wrote:

for us who live in the Bay Area, it is either "the City" or San Francisco. Never Frisco.

Yeah, and Chicagoans never say ChiTown, either. Whatevs. I'm seriously considering my second viewing of this film today.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
yambu wrote:
ehle64 wrote:

Yeah, and Chicagoans never say ChiTown, either. Whatevs. I'm seriously considering my second viewing of this film today.

Go for it. I waited about a week and the flick worked even better the second time.
Nancy
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Hey, I like codes, do cryptograms sometimes, and have a degree in mathematics, and as we all know, when mathematicians go bad they REALLY go bad. I fit right in with the usual suspects.

And you're seriously demented. Remember, the murder of the people across the street a couple of years ago is still unsolved, and you were living here then. I'm suspicious.

Isaacism, 2009
Nancy
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I always figured you and Nancy as more like anthrax mailers.

Which reminds me -- when my mother died a few years back, I had her cremated. The crematorium gave me the option of having her mailed to me or hand-delivered. I went for hand-delivery after someone pointed out that the post office might mistake her for anthrax. My mother, who had a kinky sense of humor, would have gotten a kick out of that.

Isaacism, 2009
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
ehle64 wrote:
If you're of the mindset that Leigh was somehow part of it, which I was until yambu told us of his DNA clearance...

SPOILER FOR ZODIAC

That DNA story was on the screen at the end of the movie, followed by the fact that the DNA clearance was not fully accepted. DNA is not proof either. Leigh (his middle name), or Lee, as he was called, is still considered the prime suspect, DNA clearance or not.

I wouldn't be so sure.

SPOILERS OFF AND ON

The San Francisco detectives became obsessed with him as a lead, but investigators in other counties did not. The guy's fingerprints match none collected (and the killer left many), and DNA testing similarly did not provide a match. The two people who pinned the crimes on him and claimed he talked about the murders are highly untrustworthy. And, in terms of pyschological profiles, the crimes for which he was convicted do not fit Zodiac's activity. There were many suspects, and though he did find his way onto the short list of most likely candidates, he was never the only one.

His own warped sensibility is probably responsible for their determination to pin this on him: he seemed to be proud early on that he fit the profile and could be taken for the killer; he bragged about it. He was clearly taunting the investigators when they interviewed him. But even in that interview, he seemed to have no information about the crimes beyond what had been widely reported. Even his comment about "pigs" fits what were already widely printed letters from the killer.

Whatever you think of this movie as a movie, don't take Graysmith's theories, which this movie clearly follows, as the definative findings on the case.

-Topher