Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  ZODIAC Å film by David Fincher

billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Zodiac is coming in second only to No Country for Old Men in a national poll of critics by Movie City News. It still has no chance for any major awards, but it's nice to see it hasn't been forgotten completely.
Nancy
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I think Zodiac is the better film, though they are both good.

Isaacism, 2009
ehle64
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
i can't wait to see NCFOM!!!

thx 4 the updates on Zodiac billyw

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
ehle64 wrote:
i can't wait to see NCFOM!!!

thx 4 the updates on Zodiac billyw

I haven't gotten back to see it again; but the more conversations I have about NCFOM, the better it gets.

mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
I can recommend the extras on the Director's Cut DVD of Zodiac. I began watching them last night, but it will take more than a single evening to get thru all of them.

I started with a film featuring the writer and producer who explained how they got the rights and how the project got made. They discuss Fincher's method of working, the real characters of the film and victims, and each murder. The film's costume designer adds esoteric details - such as about Melvin Belli's glasses. The property master talks about recreating a stack of SF Chronicle newspapers from the period, with _each page_ being an exact replica. The paper is used in the scene with Gyllenhaal cutting clippings.

There's another piece with two of the visual effects guys. This is fascinating. They explain how they re-created the Pacific Heights exteriors in a backlot in Downey, CA with CGI and blue screen. They also discuss some of the shots that look like aerial shots but were really CGI. Also, Fincher likes to have all the blood and gore added in later as this permits doing multiple takes very quickly without having to redress actors and clean up after every take.

Two survivors who are still living and investigators are also interviewed in a third piece. Friends of the suspect ...Leigh Allen (sp?) are interviewed. They are very convincing about the man's probable guilt.

Still to go are 2 commentaries with the film itself: one with Fincher and one with the actors.

These extras are a must-see for fans of ZODIAC.
bocce
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
like the frears forum which outlasted its usefullness after one month but has run for sixteen, this guy has passed vintage at over one year and is getting ready to turn to vinegar...

can SOMEONE please put both of them out of their misery...
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Has anyoe sent Lorne a PM about the 2 Forums? I get the feeling he's always very busy.

In fact, I'm sending him a PM right now -- as a favor to bocce.
bocce
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
thanks, mo, i've already tried that to no avail...maybe you'll have better success...

it seems like lorne blows himself out over the blanche awards (like inlareviewer) and ehle over his "shanghai" whatever...

a little consistency would be nice...
ehle64
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Not that I feel you actually deserve a response, bocce, BUT as moderators of the forum we can only do so much. I wouldn't know the half of how to archive the Specialty Forums (well, I might, but I don't have access). Only lshap can do this, all I can do is request, and apparently all you can do is bitch.