Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  ZODIAC Å film by David Fincher

ehle64
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:08 am Reply with quote
Also, and then *UGH* I have to go to sleep, reading back I noticed how incredibly hurt I was at "lifeless" being used to criticize a performance. I can certainly understand the notion and have witnessed many so-called performances, but still, it gets to me. I actually found Sevigny to be a light in some darkened universe. Huh.

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:17 am Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
Also, and then *UGH* I have to go to sleep, reading back I noticed how incredibly hurt I was at "lifeless" being used to criticize a performance. I can certainly understand the notion and have witnessed many so-called performances, but still, it gets to me. I actually found Sevigny to be a light in some darkened universe. Huh.

Sevigny was not only not "lifeless," she was vital and compelling, a wonderful actress imbuing a potential nothing role with charisma and ineffable charm--and making me root for her and her hubby to keep it together.

I have been so fouled up, thinking Candy Clark was playing Linda Ferrin and marveling at her amazing youthfulness. Of course it was the literally youthful Clea Duvall in the role. Now...who was Candy Clark?

Ehle--What happened to the French, mon ami?
yambu
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
The Zodiac appears in the movie four times, played by three different actors. What do you think that's all about?

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
The Zodiac appears in the movie four times, played by three different actors. What do you think that's all about?

I would say that Zodiac appears three times*, played by three different actors, and that a three-year-old could figure out what that's about in approximately three seconds.

The opening sequence, the park, the cab. What is the fourth?
ehle64
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
On IMdb there are Zodiac's #1, 2, 3 & 4, with #'s 1 and 2 being played by the same man. If you're of the mindset that Leigh was somehow part of it, which I was until yambu told us of his DNA clearance, that would make #5. What about the creepy-assed theater owner dude?

One of my favorite moments is when the soundtrack is playing Sly & The Family Stone's "I Wanna Take U Higher", great beats to put into a transition from office to bar, then seamlessly the sound editors place the song as background jukebox music for the Aqua Velva *LOL!* drink scene between Downey, Jr. and Gyllenhaal. Sooooo groovy.

billy -- the french post was a lark. I hit some button in Word and this translation site came up with what I had started writing in French. So, I thought I'd post it. Later I posted the english translation. It's essentially the beginning of a review I'm working on, but I want to see the film again before attempting to complete it.

Last edited by ehle64 on Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:41 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
If you're of the mindset that Leigh was somehow part of it, which I was until yambu told us of his DNA clearance...

SPOILER FOR ZODIAC

That DNA story was on the screen at the end of the movie, followed by the fact that the DNA clearance was not fully accepted. DNA is not proof either. Leigh (his middle name), or Lee, as he was called, is still considered the prime suspect, DNA clearance or not.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
Thanks, joe. Now I'm just sure you'll hate it. Which could be a good thing for this forum. The two Texans gangin' up on all the crazy coastal folk.

LOL

-Topher
Nancy
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
And as Syd mentioned, they don't seem to have tested for squirrel DNA.....

I assumed that the different actors playing Zodiac was an attempt to conform to the somewhat different descriptions of him given by various witnesses. It also keeps you guessing.

Isaacism, 2009
Nancy
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I liked Zodiac well enough to go out right afterward and buy both of Graysmith's books on the subject, though I haven't had time to do more than dip into them so far. Graysmith, at least in the second book, seems open to the idea that Zodiac could have had an accomplice. The second book reproduces the Zodiac letters, and has pictures of most of the principals involved. They did a good job of picking actors who looked right for the roles. I thought Robert Downey Jr. and Jake Gyllenhaal give really good performances. Of course, they're both remarkably good actors.

Isaacism, 2009
ehle64
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
And as Syd mentioned, they don't seem to have tested for squirrel DNA.....

Yeah, I thought that was funny Syd! That trailer park scene was really scary.

No one has mentioned the unbelievable chemistry that Fincher had with Harris Savides (the Cinematographer) on this project. The choice to shoot it all in Hi-Def Digital was perfect. Looks brilliant and is easily manipulable.

I missed the coda comments, will read them next time. I thought the looks that are exchanged between Graysmith and Leigh Allen @ the hardware store spoke volumes.

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
I thought the looks that are exchanged between Graysmith and Leigh Allen @ the hardware store spoke volumes.[/color][/b]

I'm trying to remember -- did Zodiac start calling Graysmith at home right after that?

Isaacism, 2009
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Billy,

All the President's Men, as far as I'm aware, was a big box office hit and picked up some Oscars. Why would resembling it be a curse for Zodiac?

-Topher
Marc
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
All the President's Men, as far as I'm aware, was a big box office hit and picked up some Oscars. Why would resembling it be a curse for Zodiac?

Joe, in this day and age, people don't seem to be that interested in thoughtful films about subjects of substance. Would films like ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, NASHVILLE or CHINATOWN be big hits today?
Marc
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
A recent film of some substance, CRASH, won the best picture Oscar and still only grossed 54 million bucks. Compare that to 450 million bucks for the Johnny Depp pirate movie. ZODIAC is a box office bust while the abysmal 300 rakes in the big bucks.
Marc
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN grossed 70 million dollars. Making adjustments for ticket price and inflation, thats probably about $150 million today.