Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  The 8th Annual Blanche Awards

Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Rod wrote:
Actually I owe the idea to Joe. He suggested doing a Scorsese essay.

Thanks.

-Topher
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Maybe enough voters saw the trailer to Norbit that they said, "Now let's just wait a minute here," and gave Arkin a career award. Little Miss Sunshine had to win something, and Arkin was enjoyable.

There was also a prostitute incident (right?) as well as a hushed up casting couch scandal many years ago with an actress (he tried to blackball) who went on to have pretty decent career.

On another listserve, the word is that the Academy considers Murphy less than wholesome.

Arkin lives in Sta. Fe. There was a big article in the paper about his wife and the local designer who did her dress. I keep expecting to see him around but never do.
grace
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
On CBS This Morning yesterday, Arkin himself said they lived in Taos. So I'm surprised you haven't seen him. (Unless he was strategically providing disinformation...)

But I can't back it up via the transcript and everything else says Santa Fe, so maybe I misheard him. Although it definitely caught my ear when I heard it.

And Eddie Murphy had the Scary Spice incident recently, too, if gossipy items have any bearing on Oscar voting.
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
grace wrote:
On CBS This Morning yesterday, Arkin himself said they lived in Taos. So I'm surprised you haven't seen him. (Unless he was strategically providing disinformation...)

But I can't back it up via the transcript and everything else says Santa Fe, so maybe I misheard him. Although it definitely caught my ear when I heard it.

And Eddie Murphy had the Scary Spice incident recently, too, if gossipy items have any bearing on Oscar voting.

Arkin in Taos??? Well, Taos and Sta. Fe are roughly 60 mi. apart; so if he lives way out in the boonies somewhere in between I guess he could say he lives in Taos.

I haven't heard of one Arkin sighting in Taos, but maybe he keeps a low profile. Maybe he wears a cap and sunglasses (Tom Cruise's Telluride disguise).

If his wife buys the groceries and goes to the Post Office, that would be a good way to keep everyone in the dark. I could ask at the kennel - everyone has a PET!

Best way to find out - shhhhh - the Tax Assessor's Office (an amazing source of public records).

[As to using the Sta. Fe dress designer, there really wouldn't be anyone in Taos who could do that kind of thing. Mrs. Arkin went to an expensive couturier in Sta. Fe who specializes in wedding gowns.]
grace
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
I'm once again venturing into gossip territory, for which I apologize, but... I googled, and many references are made to Arkin living in Santa Fe. So either I heard wrong -- and it was early (for me) morning, so that's entirely possible -- or he's throwing celebrity hounds off the trail. So for the record I'll say I must have misheard him.

Arkin used to live in Westport and was a regular customer at the store where I cashiered in high schol. He was a normal guy who seemed to do a lot of his own dirty work. (And if he didn't live in Westport, he has a double, right down to his voice, and I have been bullshitted all these years.)
daffy
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
Many thanks to lshap and chilly for all their work to make a fun night, and to everyone else for all the terrific jokes.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
Ghulam
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Since Monday, Albany TV stations can't stop repeating that Alan Arkin was a student in neighboring Benington College in Vermont in 1950's.
inlareviewer
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
GET WELL SOON, LORNE

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
GET WELL SOON, LORNE

I thought Lorne said point blank that the emergency was not health-related. Did I dream that?
inlareviewer
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
GET WELL SOON, WHOMEVER

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
billyweeds wrote:
inlareviewer wrote:
GET WELL SOON, LORNE

I thought Lorne said point blank that the emergency was not health-related. Did I dream that?

No, that's what the man said.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Rod wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
inlareviewer wrote:
GET WELL SOON, LORNE

No, that's what the man said.

That's happy news. But as inla said, "Get well soon, whomever."
Marj
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
This is kind of like playing telephone. As I remember it someone, I think Melody said it wasn't a medical emergency.

So if Lorne is ill even if it's not one that would fall under that of an emergency, I send him all my best, whatever reason he had to miss the Blanches.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to answer this behind the curtain, though I have nothing to say.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
So sorry that I missed the Blanches. I had no internet access at my kids' house in Atlanta (till this morning when I had ATT install DSL). A great party as usual, and I missed it.

Chilly
, an absolutely bang up job. Fabulous. It doesn't seem to matter whom of our members is tagged to take over, they are all exceptional.

Congratulations to all. You make the Oscars seem like a bad, never ending toothache. Just about anything could have this year. More on that in the lobby.