Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  The 8th Annual Blanche Awards

Nancy
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
I thought The Departed was Scorsese's best film since Taxi Driver, and definitely better than Goodfellas (which has a couple of brilliant scenes, but was otherwise uneven.)

Isaacism, 2009
chillywilly
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
My only problem with Raging Bull is its almost complete lack of humor. I found it unrelentingly grim, and a little overlong. It's a superb film, but not quite as complete a piece of entertainment (in the good sense) as GoodFellas and The Departed.

Ok, I understand why you made your earlier statement. Makes sense to me.

ehle64
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote
There is absolutely NOTHING uneven about Goodfellas.

What I don't get is, why aren't these dumbasses saying these things now? The Departed is a supremely-made, modern masterpiece. Gangs of New York, and MORESO The Aviator were blatant attempts at gunning for Oscar, if you ask me.

I'm kinda over this, we gave him both awards and didn't even have Alejandro González Iñárritu in the running for Best Director. Puzzling. Also, Kate Winslet was really slighted in here for absolutely brilliant, non-rug-chewing acting in Little Children.

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
My illness yesterday kept me from adding my voice to the public acclaim for the great job chilly did as the emergency Blanche host last night! Applause, applause.

I will blame lorne for my own smiling mug not making the show.

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Are our "live" comments during tonight's ceremony going to be in this forum or in the LobbY?
chillywilly
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I think we posted in The Lobby for previous Oscar talk.

Marc
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that members of this site, which is devoted to intelligent film discussion, feel that THE DEPARTED is somehow above criticism. It is a flawed film, not Scorsese's best by a long shot, and has a particularly awful performance by Jack Nicholson. While some of you accuse critics who have reservations about the movie obnoxious, mouthbreathers etc, I find the overly protective approach to Scorsese equally myopic.
Marj
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
There is absolutely NOTHING uneven about Goodfellas.

What I don't get is, why aren't these dumbasses saying these things now? The Departed is a supremely-made, modern masterpiece. Gangs of New York, and MORESO The Aviator were blatant attempts at gunning for Oscar, if you ask me.

I'm kinda over this, we gave him both awards and didn't even have Alejandro González Iñárritu in the running for Best Director. Puzzling. Also, Kate Winslet was really slighted in here for absolutely brilliant, non-rug-chewing acting in Little Children.

I so agree with this statement. However I know that Scorsese has never made a film "gunning" for an oscar. He took a risk with The Aviator and Gangs. He wanted to stretch. I give him a lot of credit for that and while they might not have been his finest works they certainly were excellent films.

On the question as to why, Innarritu wasn't nominated by us? Again I do think if we gave the another week or so before nominations he would have.

I did a movie marathon over the last few days, and saw Babel, and loved it, though I do have a few questions about it. Given a few more weeks I bet almost all of us could have seen a lot of the movies without this horrible rush.

Marc - Many of us find Scorsese to be one of, if not the best director in memory. If anyone sounds overprotective of him it would be me. So call me out if you must but everyone else is simply expressing there own opinions. Just as you are.
Marj
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
a good overview of the Oscar and Scorsese:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/4576262.html

Referring to this article as condescending would be too kind!
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
mo--If O'Toole pulls out the win, it's definitely a "body of work" Oscar. But you're downgrading The Departed as a valid, award-worthy piece of work.

I was full of shit with this comment. Now that I've seen all of Venus, I think it's a beautiful movie (slightly too impressed with its own sensitivity, perhaps, but still beautiful), and O'Toole is terrific. Mind you, I'd still vote for Whitaker in a New York minute, but if O'Toole should wind up winning it would be for a fine performance, not merely career sentimentality.
Ghulam
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I too thought O'Toole was terrific in Venus. And the movie is full of laughs.
mo_flixx
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
mo--If O'Toole pulls out the win, it's definitely a "body of work" Oscar. But you're downgrading The Departed as a valid, award-worthy piece of work.

I was full of shit with this comment. Now that I've seen all of Venus, I think it's a beautiful movie (slightly too impressed with its own sensitivity, perhaps, but still beautiful), and O'Toole is terrific. Mind you, I'd still vote for Whitaker in a New York minute, but if O'Toole should wind up winning it would be for a fine performance, not merely career sentimentality.

Yes --
But we all know that Oscar doesn't work like this. It doesn't necessarily go to the most worthy nominee, and it's a betting man/woman's game, IMO.

BTW, I really HAVE tried to see this movie, but it hasn't been generally accessible in Northern New Mexico.

I'll wait to comment more until after I've seen the dvd.
Nancy
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
I find it interesting that members of this site, which is devoted to intelligent film discussion, feel that THE DEPARTED is somehow above criticism. It is a flawed film, not Scorsese's best by a long shot, and has a particularly awful performance by Jack Nicholson. While some of you accuse critics who have reservations about the movie obnoxious, mouthbreathers etc, I find the overly protective approach to Scorsese equally myopic.

Marc,

I agree with you that Nicholson was awful, and I did think Infernal Affairs was better. However, I do think it's the best film Scorsese has done in years. It's nowhere near Taxi Driver, which is his best film, but it's better than we usually get from this terribly overrated director.

Isaacism, 2009
Nancy
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I saw Babel yesterday, just before the Blanches. I thought there were some good performances, but the structure was a serious problem. And Gwyneth Paltrow was just plain awful. I was much less impressed with it than most of you have been.

Isaacism, 2009
chillywilly
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
While some of you accuse critics who have reservations about the movie obnoxious, mouthbreathers etc, I find the overly protective approach to Scorsese equally myopic.

I guess that's why Jack didn't nominated... because he sucked so bad.

I see your myopic point, but we're not defending DERAILED here.

Personally, I really don't see what's so flawed with the film. What would have made it better?