Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Theatre

billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
I'll hsve to make a point of seeing this. (These "points" sometimes fall apart when I look at my wallet, however.)
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Ask Dolores to raise your allowance.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
My orchestra-seat ticket was $84.50 with the Playbill.com discount. (It would have been about $122 otherwise.) The balcony is cheaper but my knees can't take a lot of stairs anymore. But if you live in NYC, I figure, you should go to the theater, even if it means giving up other things (yes, I cut my own hair).
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Gee, I saw West Side Story at the Winter Garden on a Saturday night in 1958 for $7.40.
inlareviewer
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Some coverage of the 43rd Annual Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Awards, held Monday, March 19, a A Noise Within in Pasadena -- the co-producing of which added one more element toward my long-delayed, richly deserved future nervous breakdown -- but the photos came out well (Am not so sure about my looking like Freddy Krueger as pimp, but whatchagonnado). It was, ironically enough, a successful show, to judge by the comments of attendees afterwards that night, right through Wednesday's Waiting for Godot Mark Taper Forum opening (magnificent, smartly directed by Michael Arabian, Alan Mandell and Barry McGovern a definitive Estragon and Vladimir, James Cromwell a formidable and unconventional Pozzo, Hugo Armstrong's astonishing Lucky making me realize how little I understood the role back in college). Besides reuniting Lost co-stars (and nominees/eventual winners) Sam Anderson and L. Scott Caldwell to present (Rose and Bernard, off the island at last!) and Seamus Dever to arrive just in time from the Castle set to do likewise, there were some relative coups, not least snagging the L.A. premiere of Paul Rudnick's "My Husband," added to the NYC production of Standing on Ceremony: The Gay Marriage Plays, which Wendie Malick and Christopher Gorham performed with immensely droll aplomb. This reviewer's treasured choreographer Lee Martino actually arrived an hour before the house opened to ensure the safety of her dancers in the adagio from "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" that preceded her special award for outstanding achievement in musical theatre, and terpsichoreans Yvette Tucker and Sal Vassalo were sensational. So were co-hosts Jason Graae and Lesli Margherita, who opened the show with a locally rejiggered "You and Me (But Mostly Me)" from Book of Mormon that brought down the house, then opened Act 2 with a "Farmer and the Cowhand" riff from Oklahoma! ("Oh, the critic and the actor should be friends..") that did the same, ending both numbers with a nod to "Defying Gravity's" final note that had to be heard to be disbelieved, twice. The national misconception that this isn't a theatre town was given the lie all evening, and a lovely evening it was, even if it did leave me ready for the nursing home.

BroadwayWorld: LA Drama Critics Circle Awards Announce Winners

ArtsBeatLA: Winners Announced LA Drama Critics Circle Awards

L.A. Times -- Culture Monster: 'Margo Veil,' 'Raisin in the Sun' top L.A. Drama Critics awards

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Inla, which one are you? I don't know your name so I was guessing. Oh, that's him.....no that's him....wait a minute, he's the one with the beard or on and on....
inlareviewer
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
marantzo, am the co-producer either sitting watching Sam and L. Scott admiringly or gesticulating extravagantly with program, in both cases wearing a silver fedora.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Got it. You definitely are an entertainer. On the page and in front of an audience.

Are you by any chance related to Mike?

That really looked like an affair that everyone had a ball at. Seems like you did a great job. Mazel Tov!
Marj
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
inla -- simply put, I wish I could have been there to cheer you on!
inlareviewer
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote
marantzo: Todah robah, you're very kind, it was actually quite gratifying. Am very distantly related to Mike, as in, like, three-hundred-sixty-seventh cousin, or sump'n, it's all gewd.

Marj: Simply put, mon cherie, I can only wish you could have been, merci beaucoups.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote
inla--Fantastic! Congratulations!
inlareviewer
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
willybeeds: Grazie bello, most appreciated.

Random Musings After The Fact

Manhattanites and Visitors: Should Phylicia Rashad's gorgeously full-hearted, incisively perceptive Raisin in the Sun staging ever find backers for the NYC transfer it so richly deserves (after being tapped after last summer's Ebony Rep triumph by Center Theatre Group to play the Kirk Douglas Theatre while the Taper housed the L.A. premiere of Clybourne Park, ), preferably with its indelible ensemble intact, run, don't walk. Just saying.

Ditto Extraordinary Chambers and Small Engine Repair, neither of which, unless I've missed something -- and that's increasingly possible of late -- have been seen on the East Coast yet. Both remarkable plays of original substance and potent emotional impact.

In their very different ways, so were Blackbird -- unsettling account of rehabilitated convicted pedophile and the no-longer-pubescent who won't let him be --- and Margo Veil -- theatre tour-de-force, existential theorem meets soul-transference by way of a film noir radio play -- and the amazingly compact, utterly stunning West Coast premiere of Jerry Springer: The Opera at the aptly named Chance Theatre in Anaheim Hills, was my favorite musical seen anywhere in 2011. 18 cast members and tireless synthesizer-playing musical director negotiating a through-composed-and-sung (save for the spoken-only title character) anarchistic, genuine opera originally written to utilize a full component of actors, massive chorus, dance corps and full orchestra. Breathtaking audacity. "This is my Jerry Springer moment/I hope this moment never dies/So dip me in chocolate/And throw me to the lesbians..." Did I mention tap-dancing Klansmen? I never wanted it to end.

Alas, Cabaret's Lisa O'Hare -- Best. Sally. Bowles. Ever. -- wasn't in town to attend/accept her award, since she's playing Mary Poppins in Australia. But, like Veil director Bart De Lorenzo or L.A. Choreographic Axiom Lee Martino, just seeing her name on a program credit automatically guarantees High Artistic Integrity, Crazily Gifted Proficiency and Infinite Audience Regard. Speaking of which, given how their perfectly complemented abilities could go on the road, if not indeed television, anytime and anywhere that Jason Graae and Lesli Margherita are advertised in joint appearance, book tickets immediately. Between their comic finesse and lack of ego -- he oh-so-charmingingly-but-cheekily playing off late-inning rambling recipients with his oboe, she sincerely saying backstage that she really hoped her (marvelous) Kiss Me, Kate turn lost because "It would be funnier," it did, she introduced the next category with a hysterically pointed Toast of Mayfair accent, pandemonium ensued -- and their incredible singing pipes and dancing stems, they're a sublime team.

And Standing on Ceremony: The Gay Marriage Plays, already starting to become a regional phenomenon, is mandatory viewing if noted in one's vicinity, and not just because it doesn't require same-sex orientation, support of the cause or, indeed, any opinion whatsoever for its invaluable, enjoyable and non-didactic intent and content to land.

And that's why I'm a child of the theatre.

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Roving Reviewer Round-Up:

The following links are to recent reviews of shows that anybody currently in L.A. through the first two weeks in June should consider don't-miss propositions:

Backstage: LA Theater Reviews: 'Follies'

L.A. Times: Review: 'The Children' an inspired take on Medea myth

Backstage: LA Theater Review: 'Charity: Part iii of a Mexican-American Trilogy'

L.A. Times: Review: 'The Pianist of Willesden Lane' a resonant tale of survival

Also, the not so mandatory:

L.A.Times: Review: An erratic 'A Little Night Music' by East West Players

Backstage: LA Theater Review: 'Aphrodite 2, an Erotic Comedy Mystery'

And the one-night-only Disney Hall debut of the one and only Stritch:

L.A. Times: Cabaret Review: Elaine Stritch salutes the Stephen Sondheim canon with savvy

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Good to see you inla.

I think I always say that when you show up.
carrobin
Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
It's just occurred to me that I haven't mentioned the show I saw last Wednesday--a British import called "One Man, Two Guvnors." James Corden, a funny little guy who made me think of a koala bear in a plaid suit, is Francis Henshall, who tries to balance his duties between two employers without letting them know about each other. Seems simple but it becomes extremely complicated in a wild music-hall vaudeville way, as he's clumsy, hungry, confused, and reckless. One guvnor is a guy who's actually a girl, and the other is a wealthy but dopey fellow who turns out to be her boyfriend. And all I can say otherwise is that it's hilarious. Corden is a terrific physical comedian, a great ad-libber, a shameless ham, and a guy who seems to be having such a good time that the audience has to go along with him. Be warned if you buy a ticket, however: audience members are sometimes swept up onstage to do ridiculous things, so try to avoid the first three rows.