Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Theatre

Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
As I love The Most Happy Fella, this is great to hear. Otherwise, not sure what I would have though of a Grapes of Wrath opera. Hopefully, we'll get a cast recording, at least.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Very psyched. Going to see a musical called Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson tomorrow night. I bought the tickets weeks ago because a ten-year-old actor I met in Caroline, or Change is in it. Wouldn't ever have bought tickets otherwise. The show opened last night to the best reviews any show has gotten this season. Can't believe it.

Gotta give a plug to my little buddy from Caroline. (I may have mentioned this before here.) I was the oldest member of the cast and he was the youngest, and we bonded for that and other reasons. He's tremendously talented and unaffected to boot; River Aguirre is his name. Remember that name.
Marj
Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Billy - I don't think you did. But now we know it and know of him. I'm off to read the review!
Ghulam
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:16 am Reply with quote
Saw In the Heights on Broadway. A feisty musical with a poignant theme. Pricey but enjoyable. Winner of Best Musical Tony, 2008.
globear1950
Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Apr 2010 Posts: 5 Location: Hartney Manitoba Canada
Am off to NYC this week...have tickets for Jersey Boys on Friday nite...has anyone seen Fences?...or what do you suggest? Thanks!

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I suggest and strongly, South Pacific. It's been running for two years so it shouldn't be hard to get tickets. It's really a once in a lifetime experience.
marantzo
Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Glo, where have you been? Say hello to Bear for me.
globear1950
Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Marj, thanks for the suggestion...I had wanted to see it, so will persuade my friend I hope.

Gary...I am living in Hartney/www.hartney.ca and am retired. Off to NYC to celebrate 60 with an old friend also celebrating the same. Not staying near TS this time. Should be quite the experience after this weekend? All is well and we are assimilating to country life. Bear says Hi and we both love the picture.

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Have a great time Gloria. And happy birthday, whenever it is. What hotel are you staying at?
Marj
Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Gloria, good luck getting tickets and have a wonderful birthday celebration.
globear1950
Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Marj & Gary for the BD wishes.

Gary, we are staying at the Helmsley Park Lane up high with great views of the city! You had mentioned a while ago that Barry stayed there and liked it. It's a great location! We have resies for Dinner at Patsy's and Knickerbockers in the Village so far. Also hooked up with a Big Apple Greeter for a tour of the Lower East Side. I need to cross Delancy Street and buy a pickle - not to mention lunch at Katz's...more time in this trip and I kept all your notes from last time...thank you!!!!!!!! Will post on the theatre when I get back. Hi and hugs to you and Marta. Are you in Winnipeg right now?

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
No Glo, We're stuck in Medellin till we get a bunch of things straightened out. Waiting for Marta's permanent residence status which shouldn't be far off and a case that Marta has against the government for not paying her a particular pension for a number of years back in the 90's. It's a long story but there is no way she won't win it, but things go very slowly here when it comes to the government.

If things go OK we should be back in Winnipeg in June some time.

The Park Lane should be a great place to stay and the location is excellent. Expect hot weather.
carrobin
Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
Turning on the local news this morning, I heard the guy say that "Enron" is closing Sunday, partly because it didn't get many Tony nominations. I'm so out of the loop that I hadn't even known that the Tonys were coming up, and I had sort of hoped to see "Enron" because I got a Playbill discount e-mail for it--though I hadn't realized it had opened already. I didn't even know much about it, so I checked the Times review, which was far from a rave but still made it sound interesting enough that I thought I might enjoy it. I'd love to see James Spader (in "Race") and Christopher Walken (in "A Behanding in Spokane"--he's nominated), but I also would like to see "Red" and "Fences," and I still haven't caught up with "God of Carnage," which I've been planning to see ever since the first cast.

When I'm getting a lot of freelance work, I have money but no time. When I have time--no money. 'Tis the eternal conundrum...
Befade
Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
we are staying at the Helmsley Park Lane

I stayed there once. Loved the concierge.

If in NYC I'd see Rothko with the actor who was in An Education. They say the paintings look real and it's like being in a studio with the turpentine smell.

Alfred Molina

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
That play is called "Red" (which makes it sound like some kind of Cold War drama).