Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Theatre

mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Well, this was a surprise to come home to. Thanks Lorne.

It's especially timely since I just saw Dreamgirls. I've got to admit I was disappointed. But then I went into it knowing the story. My friend did not and really enjoyed it....

Does knowing the story of the Supremes count as knowing the story?

P.S. Glad to see this Forum is finally up and running!!
Marj
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
Marj wrote:
Well, this was a surprise to come home to. Thanks Lorne.

It's especially timely since I just saw Dreamgirls. I've got to admit I was disappointed. But then I went into it knowing the story. My friend did not and really enjoyed it....

Does knowing the story of the Supremes count as knowing the story?

P.S. Glad to see this Forum is finally up and running!!

I'm not sure Mo. I say that because I knew both -- the story of the Supremes and the plot of the film before going in. But as I said, I think there was more wrong with the movie than just that.

I don't think anything I said should stop one from seeing Dreamgirls. The performances alone make seeing it worthwhile.
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the posts on rocks shows and Jeckyl & Hyde, Marj and Joe

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Ooops.. that should be Jekyll

marantzo
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Good thing you caught it before Billy got here.
ehle64
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Not quite sure if I should post in here after all the drama (not quite sure where all that came from, either), but, I saw a preview of "The Scene" by Teresa Rebeck, starring Tony Shaloub and the woman from that Raymond show. An actor that was in Keane, and an actress that I feel was given pretty lousy direction, but will probably go on to win the Obie she has so much heat behind her (IMAO) ill-choiced performance. Anyway, the play's about an out-of-work actor (Shaloub) who is married to a SuperWoman Producer of a talk show, e.g., Rachel Ray, and his mid-life crisis. I wasn't floored. I didn't hate it. The tickets were free and I'm happy for that. Johnny Galecki was in the audience (along with many other actors that had a dark Monday night) and he looks soooo cute. I think he was with Rachel Macadams, or one of those "it" girls of the mo. He smiled at me twice. He's a cutie. Shaloub was really good with the material and he even showed some "Monk"butt. Please someone else see this (billy? marj??) and tell me why I'm wrong in not loving it?

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for ehle's post.

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking to read. If I can just find out when the non-peak times are to visit the Big Apple & can find a decent hotel that isn't $400/nt.; I'd be up for making a trip to see something like this!
Marj
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Chilly -- I don't know when you'll be getting back to NYC, but there's a rock musical that has gotten terrific reviews. It's called Spring Awakening. I hope for your and everyone's sake it has a long, long run.

Wade -- I found this about The Scene. So you'll see you aren't alone. Btw, if you get any more free tixs, please call!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117941179.html?categoryid=15&cs=1
chillywilly
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Chilly -- I don't know when you'll be getting back to NYC, but there's a rock musical that has gotten terrific reviews. It's called Spring Awakening. I hope for your and everyone's sake it has a long, long run.

Cool. Thx Marj. I know we'll be back this year (before or after we go on a cruise for my fiance's 45th b-day in August). Hopefully, it will still be playing.

mo_flixx
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
Although I was less than thrilled by the songs in the movie DREAMGIRLS, I'm thinking about buying the album.

There are a bunch out - original casts, concert, and 2 soundtracks. After reading all the comments at amazon.com, I decided to order the concert album...

BUT I thought someone here would have a valuable opinion. I would like to have the CD to make copies of just a few of the early songs. Hated the later ballads, etc.

Thanks for your opinions.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
The concert album is not the best. Partly because the Effie isn't quite as good as she should be, but also because the male harmonies are often off ("Steppin' To the Bad Side" And "Family" aren't as well realized as they are on the Original Cast Recording). And there's a lot of what I'd call junk filler. Songs for secondary groups, really terrible recitative, and elaborate but not very good interlocking material around the scene at the Democratic Convention (though there are three good songs in that scene: "Ain't No Party" "The Rap" and Jimmy's getting fired by Curtis).

The vocals on the Origianl Cast Album are better. And though much of the score is cut, the album is very well produced.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
I should say, I don't think you made a bad selection. There are good things on that recording. I just don't think it's the best.

-Topher
mo_flixx
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Joe,

Thanks for the album info. I managed to cancel the Concert DREAMGIRLS. Do you think the movie soundtrack would be better because they added new songs?
Otherwise which is the better orig. cast recording?

My preference was for the upbeat music early in the film. I plan to make my own compilation CD to play in the car.

Thanks.
Marj
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Mo,

I take it your talking about using iTunes or Rapsody to download only the songs you like to make your compilation. It certainly makes sense to me.

Speaking of music I'm listening to The Jonathan Schwartz Show on WNYC right now. I think I've been listening to him since the 70's when I first got involved in radio. If one is not in NY or the metropolitan area he can be heard on XM.

Schwartz does a totally open format show. He plays everything from big bands to Dylan. And a lot of Sinatra, Ella and Tony Bennett. But I listen to him because he introduces a lot of new artists. And the amount of new singers doing standards recently is really growing. I think all of the albums I've gotten over the years came as a result of hearing them first on his show. Some of those include Susannah McCorkle, Jackie and Roy, Jessica Molaskey, Stacey Kent and on and on. And then he reminds me of singers like Arthur Prysock, Chet Baker, and Joe Williams are still relevent even if they're no longer with us.

Earlier today he played a wonderful Rodgers group of songs. It wasn't a medley really, just a grouping of today's best singers doing Rodgers. It really was wonderful. So if you're into this kind of music and can get WNYC or XM, give him a listen. You may get hooked.
mo_flixx
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
No, Marj. Actually I was going to buy a CD and make a compilation. My computer has a really hard time with downloads so I don't do it.

That's why I need info. so that I know which CD is the BEST to buy.