Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

lady wakasa
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
There's an article, too: http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/local/11739389.htm.

Very sad.
Marilyn
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
I couldn't use that link without signing up. I'm pasting a story about her here:

Linda Martinez, 29; Gifted Pianist and Promising Composer

Linda Martinez, a promising young composer and pianist who wrote music for several films and won many musical competitions, died May 19 at her home in Los Angeles. She was 29.

Martinez committed suicide, according to her family and friends.

A child prodigy, Martinez began her studies at age 4 with the Yamaha Music Education System in Orange County and continued studying in the after-school program at Yamaha until she was 12.

After graduation from California High School in Whittier, where she grew up, she was a star student at USC's Thornton School of Music, earning a degree in music composition in 1998.

"She was one of the two or three most gifted young composers we've ever had," said Donald Crockett, a USC professor of composition.

Her career was remarkable enough to be chronicled in the media, including an interview on CNN when she was 18. She recently appeared on "CBS Sunday Morning" as part of a segment on young composers.

Suzanne Abe, who was Martinez's teacher at Yamaha from the time she was about 5, said that even at that age Martinez "had what you call perfect pitch in music, where if you played a note, she could tell you what the note was." She could play by ear from the time she was a child.

After she left Yamaha, Martinez continued working with students at the school. According to her mother, Carol Martinez, one teacher at Yamaha called Linda their "fullback" because she taught, performed and did demonstrations for Yamaha in California and elsewhere.

Martinez began winning music competitions early and in 1991 won Yamaha's International Junior Original Concert Composition Competition in Tokyo, competing with students from around the world. She performed her jazz suite, "Gunther and I," at the awards ceremony.

She also won in the jazz instrumental category of the Los Angeles Music Center's Spotlight Awards in 1992, taking home a $5,000 scholarship.

By the time she left USC, her performance career was launched.

In 1998, she was a keyboardist for Fox TV's "The Keenen Ivory Wayans Show," which led to appearances with other artists. She also toured with Destiny's Child in 2000.

More recently, she was among the musicians who performed at Disney Concert Hall with the Los Angeles Master Chorale and Latin artists Sheila E. and Alex Acuņa.

At the same time she was performing she was also actively composing music. In 2003, Martinez was named the grand prize winner in the Turner Classic Movies Young Film Composers Competition.

The award won her the opportunity to compose the score for a 1925 silent film, Edward F. Cline's "The Rag Man," with famed film composer Elmer Bernstein acting as her mentor.

"It's turned out to be the most important writing opportunity and learning experience in my career thus far," Martinez told Billboard magazine. On the "CBS Sunday Morning" show in April, she said that she was "just pulled into the story, pulled into the characters" of "The Rag Man," which was shown with her music behind it on the Turner Classic Movies cable channel in January 2004.

She wrote music for several other films, including the 2004 animated film "Catching Kringle" and the 2001 comedy short "Lives of the Pharaohs." She also wrote the music for Travis Davis' "Boy Next Door," which is being shown at film festivals, and new music for Turner Classic Movies for another silent film, Sam Taylor's "Exit Smiling" (1926).

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Layer Cake is out on DVD already? I think it's still in the theaters here.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Is it a delusion of Ken Russell's biopic, or were Rambova and Nazimova actually lovers at some point?
lady wakasa
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
One of those things that will never be known for sure.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I see.
Marj
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Last night I saw the Bobby Darin biopic Beyond the Sea. I agree with Billy and Shannon. It is extremely enjoyable. And the music is terrific. But I found after beginning to watch it on my TV, I wasn't getting the full effect so I put it into my laptop, put on earphones and wowza!

I am thrown by all the negative reviews of this movie. This was clearly a celebration of Darin's life and never pretended to be anything more. In fact, they added a scene to deal with Spacey's age. That you'd have to see. It would be impossible to explain. But it works well in allowing one to suspend disbelief.

I was really expecting to not like this movie. But I now have renewed respect for Kevin Spacey and the magic he made on such a shoestring. See it and have a blast.
shannon
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
Layer Cake is out on DVD already? I think it's still in the theaters here.

No, but it is in England and I downloaded a decent quality dvd rip. I haven't deleted yet if you want it, though I do say that it's worth seeing in theaters if you have the chance to do so. If I thought that I'd have a chance to see it in a theater, I wouldn't have downloaded. I remember reading reviews for this film over a year ago and I just assumed its theatrical run came and went and there probably wasn't going to be sold on dvd in the US since it had been so long.
Marc
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I downloaded a decent quality dvd rip.

You're a thief. Its this kind of shit thats going to help kill off indie film.
LAYER CAKE ain't some boxoffice monster like STAR WARS. Its producers could probably use all the revenue it can generate, inlcuding dvd sales and rentals. How can you justify ripping off independent filmmakers?

I purchased LAYER CAKE from Amazon UK. I rent it in my store to people with all-region players.
Marc
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Beyond the Sea
gave me the creeps.
lady wakasa
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Marc - do you rent out all-region players as well? I remember back in the day renting video machines from a few video places when I was just starting out (didn't have the money to sink into a machine).
Marc
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Lady,

I do not rent all-region players. I sell them, starting at $80.
Marilyn
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
There are many reasonably priced all-region DVD players. If you can rent the movies, you can afford to buy the player.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
The cheapest DVD player that you can make all-region is the Cyberhome 300. It sells for around $35. You can make it all-region with a simple hack using the remote control. They're not great players, they often freeze and pixillate, but they are cheap and will do a decent job.
Marilyn
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I like that one you recommended to me from Amazon, Marc. It was only $50 and it works great.