Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

billyweeds
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Rod wrote:
I have a problem with TCM, and it's not a small one: oftentimes the prints they show of films are woefully fuzzy, lacking in sharpness and proper contrast, consequently their films are often a serious eye-sore. Doubly irritating seems to be that the less well-known the film, the better the print.

This is totally on the money--and to make matters worse, the prints are hardly ever letterboxed, something you would expect a channel like TCM to do much more often.
ehle64
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
--and to make matters worse, the prints are hardly ever letterboxed, something you would expect a channel like TCM to do much more often.

I don't know which TCM you get with Time Warner Cable, but over here in Queens, if the film was made in Letterbox, they screen it that way. You can even go to their website and make sure that the film is being presented in it's original size.
daffy
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:51 am Reply with quote
Who's on First?
BY CHRIS GAVALER
- - - -

(A CUSTOMER steps up to a video-store counter with a stack of videos.)

CASHIER: Hi. Did you find everything you wanted?

CUSTOMER: (Handing over membership card.) Yes, thanks. (Pause.) When is this one due back?

CASHIER: The day after tomorrow.

CUSTOMER: Yeah, when's it due back?

CUSTOMER: Yes. The Day After Tomorrow.

CASHIER: Right.

CUSTOMER: Right. When's it due back?

CUSTOMER: I mean the movie. The Day After Tomorrow. When is it due?

CASHIER: Oh! I get it. That's funny. You thought I meant—right, OK. It's due the day after tomorrow.

CUSTOMER: The Day After Tomorrow is due the day after tomorrow?

CASHIER: Exactly.

CUSTOMER: And Before Sunset?

CASHIER: Anytime before 10.

CUSTOMER: Is it the same as The Day After Tomorrow?

CASHIER: We close the same time every day. Ten o'clock.

CUSTOMER: But what day is the video due?

CASHIER: The Day After Tomorrow?

CUSTOMER: Why are you asking me?

CASHIER: The Day After Tomorrow is due the day after tomorrow.

CUSTOMER: I know, but what about Before Sunset?

CASHIER: Anytime before closing.

CUSTOMER: But what day?

CUSTOMER: Before Sunset?

CASHIER: You can bring it then if you want to, but we're open till 10.

CUSTOMER: The movie! Before Sunset. When is Before Sunset due?

CASHIER: Oh! We did it again, didn't we? Isn't that just like that ... what's that sketch called? Anyway. Sorry. Before Sunset is due the day after tomorrow.

CUSTOMER: Thank you. (Pause.) Is that the same for the others?

CASHIER: You're not renting The Others.

CUSTOMER: Why not?

CASHIER: I don't know. You can if you want to.

CUSTOMER: Well, I would like to rent the others, please.

CASHIER: I'll check the computer.

CUSTOMER: For what?

CASHIER: The Others.

CUSTOMER: What's in front of you?

CASHIER: (Looking through stack.) Well, we have The Day After Tomorrow and Before Sunset. Then Seven, After Hours, 48 Hours, Ten, and Before Sunrise. Hey, that's funny, "before sunrise"—we could have gotten confused about that too, huh?

CUSTOMER: Yeah. Could you ring them up, please?

CASHIER: So you don't want The Others?

CUSTOMER: I want all of them.

CASHIER: But not The Others?

CUSTOMER: I want everything sitting right there in front of you.

CASHIER: OK, I'll ring them up. (Pause.) I'm sorry, but your account limits you to six rentals.

CUSTOMER: Oh, OK, I won't rent Ten.

CASHIER: Excuse me?

CUSTOMER: Get rid of Ten.

CASHIER: You have seven here.

CUSTOMER: I still want to rent Seven.

CASHIER: You're not allowed to.

CUSTOMER: Why can't I rent Seven?

CASHIER: Because it's over the limit.

CUSTOMER: Right, but I want Seven. Get rid of Ten.

CASHIER: (Pause.) That would leave negative three.

CUSTOMER: Excuse me?

CASHIER: You know what? We'll just let it slide this time.

CUSTOMER: Thank you. (Pause.) Is that one due back the day after tomorrow, too?

CASHIER: Yes, you have 48 hours.

CUSTOMER: But is it due with the others?

CASHIER: You don't have The Others.

CUSTOMER: What did you just ring up?

CASHIER: You want me to read these to you again?

CUSTOMER: No, just tell me when they're due.

CUSTOMER: But what about the others?

CASHIER: You don't have The Others.

CUSTOMER: Is 48 Hours due the day after tomorrow?

CASHIER: Yes, by 10 o'clock.

CUSTOMER: Is Ten due the day after tomorrow?

CASHIER: Yes, by 10 o'clock.

CUSTOMER: What about After Hours?

CASHIER: There's a late fee.

CUSTOMER: For what?

CASHIER: If you return after hours.

CUSTOMER: The day after tomorrow?

CASHIER: All of them.

CUSTOMER: So it's due the day after tomorrow?

CASHIER: By 10.

CUSTOMER: What about Seven?

CASHIER: You can bring it then if you want to, but we're open till 10.

CUSTOMER: The movie! The movie! When is the movie Seven due?

CASHIER: (Holding up each video one at a time.) Seven is due at 10 the day after tomorrow. The Day After Tomorrow is due at 10 the day after tomorrow. Before Sunset is due at 10 the day after tomorrow. 48 Hours is due at 10 the day after tomorrow. After Hours is due at 10 the day after tomorrow. And Ten is due at 10 the day after tomorrow

CUSTOMER: Thank you! (Noticing the last video after a long pause.) But what about Before Sunrise?

CASHIER: (Pause.) We're not open before sunrise.

(CUSTOMER gives up and walks out.)

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2005/3/4gavaler.html

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
Ghulam
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:12 am Reply with quote
Daffy, that is the funniest stuff since Abbot and Costello. Thanks.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:57 am Reply with quote
Billy,

We've got Time-Warner cable down here, and the way it runs (I figure this is the same everwhere), if the movie is shown both early in the day and then later in the evening, the second showing will be letterboxed. Oftentimes, even the prime time showing will be. They got a lot of miliage out of showing both wide-screen version of Oklahoma!, and of course, all airings were letterboxed.

One odd problem I've run across is that there seem to be jerky pauses. The image will freeze for a second (though the sound doesn't stop) and then suddenly the image is the same scene a couple of seconds later. This happens all the time, and I wonder if it's intentional, to hurt the quality of bootleg tapings.
Kate
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
So I watched Bad Santa yesterday and fully enjoyed myself. Laughed out loud many times and for the first time actually liked Billy Bob.
lady wakasa
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
I may not remember this perfectly (I'm really tired right now), but the topic of Turner versions came up on alt.movies.silent. The Turner guy said that basically they try to get the best version possible, but sometimes the source sends them the wrong thing. Sometimes they run it like that (because basically they don't know until it's aired); sometimes they substitute another movie.

Like I said, I'm really tired right now and may be getting some particulars wrong.

I think I've heard of the jerky pauses with running PAL on NTSC (converted through the medium or on the machine), but not on tv. I dunno, maybe I'm thinking about the shadows thing. Whatever it is, I don't think it's intentional - you're interfering with the quality of the broadcast, which would be shooting yourself in the foot (especially since some of those viewings are to promote DVD releases).
Marj
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We've got Time-Warner cable down here, and the way it runs (I figure this is the same everwhere), if the movie is shown both early in the day and then later in the evening, the second showing will be letterboxed. Oftentimes, even the prime time showing will be. They got a lot of miliage out of showing both wide-screen version of Oklahoma!, and of course, all airings were letterboxed

Joe - I've never ever seen this. And I have Time Warner too. It appears that TCM shows the best print they have. If it is in letterbox, that's how they show it. But you've made me curious enough to call Time Warner. If only I hadn't just finished fighting with them over my bill! But actually the question should go to TCM, anyway.

Quote:
One odd problem I've run across is that there seem to be jerky pauses. The image will freeze for a second (though the sound doesn't stop) and then suddenly the image is the same scene a couple of seconds later. This happens all the time, and I wonder if it's intentional, to hurt the quality of bootleg tapings.

I understand that this is a function of digitalization. Have you ever watched an old DVD? The same thing can happen. I am anything but techno savvy, so I can't explain it. Maybe someone else can?
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Marj,

I was thinking it was an issue of digitalization. I wondered if I were watching on digital cable rather than the older model if those jerky movements would disappear. [/b]
Marj
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Joe,

As I said, I'm terribly technically challanged, so I wouldn't know. But logically it would seem to me that if TCM is using a digital movie, then the problem is coming from their end.

Also, I do agree with what Lady said. It just makes sense.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I was embarrassed to admit this earlier, but I have no idea what

Quote:
I think I've heard of the jerky pauses with running PAL on NTSC (converted through the medium or on the machine), but not on tv.

means. I don't know what PAL or NTSC is, and what medium or machine is converting?
Rod
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
PAL and NTSC are color systems, Joe, basically defined by how many color lines your TV set uses. All Aussie sets are PAL.

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks.
censored-03
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Joe Vitus wrote:
Marj,

I was thinking it was an issue of digitalization. I wondered if I were watching on digital cable rather than the older model if those jerky movements would disappear. [/b]
I think you hit on something Joe. For me it is a phenomenon that is very recent to TCM. The last few viewings I did at home, where I have not changed over to digital yet, I noticed the visual (not sound) stuttering has been a fairly regular thing (a couple- three times a flick) I called Cablevision and was told they have changed over completely to digital but that I was still able to get my old package for some reason. (analog trying to see digital ?) I have balked at changing over to digital (even though I was very anxious for it originally) basically because on principle I resent having to pay a measly $10 bucks more a month for a few more channels I don't care to have. I don't like HBO, Showtime etc. I watch Fox Movie Channel, TCM and my own rentals and library films. If this is the technical reason for the "stuttering" I'm there. (Digital that is)

Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
You're right, it is very recent.

I really can't afford the upgrade to digital, and when I move, I probably won't get even basic cable. But then, I actually don't watch TCM much. If I want to watch an old movie, I rent it. I don't know if they aren't scheduling things I want, or if I just find renting more convenient (but alternatively more expensive; sometimes I don't think my finances through, properly). On the other hand, I had to tape They Drive By Night off TCM, because it isn't available, and the stuttering (good word, by the way) drove me nuts.