Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
The movie also taught me how to pronounce Shania Twain's first name.

I'm always sad to hear that someone else has learned how to pronounce it. I always crack up when I hear someone say "SHAY-nee-uh Twain."

As for Huckabees, I wish there were an exact opposite to "heart." Well, for lack of a better one, "I SPADE Huckabees."
lshap
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Melody,

Thanks for being the english-to-english interpreter. As usual you're right, I was riffing on our moviegoer litmus test going on in the other forum, but it's not surprising Gary missed the reference and took my humorous remarks seriously. He is, after all, older, and prone to forgetting things like yesterday's discussions, today's breakfast, tomorrow's date, and so on. Cut him some slack as the rest of us do.

Even more understandable is his forgetting that he himself was a main reason the Review Forum was locked in the first place. He along with a few others kept adding commentary to reviews that were supposed to stand alone, and so, after repeated reminders that were ignored, I locked the sucker down. Again, cut him some slack -- that happened last year, approximately three or four blackouts ago.

PS - Gary, as to my first paragraph, it was a) A discussion in Current Film about what qualifies someone to appreciate a film, prompted by Joe; b) Coffee, orange juice, a pack of cigarettes; c) March 16, 2005.
yambu
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I would much rather have seen a fight between our northern neighbors. I was just getting out the nurf swords.
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Watch out for Gary. He's one of those toughs from Winnipeg. He might throw a snow-covered rock at you.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He along with a few others kept adding commentary to reviews that were supposed to stand alone, and so, after repeated reminders that were ignored, I locked the sucker down.

I don't think so. I remember doing it once and that was it. I'm sure there is some way for a computer geek who doesn't let second hand smoke befuddle his mind, to remove the box for comment on the site.

I bet mcbain could do it.

Give these fuckin' Canucks a little power and they think they're Christopher Walken.
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Shane taped Twilight of the Ice Nymphs last night. He's never seen a Guy Maddin film. Tell him what he's in for, Marantz.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Well Marilyn even Maddin said Ice Nymphs was a failure. Not a good movie to start with.
ehle64
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely not MY favorite.
ehle64
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:15 pm Reply with quote
--*LOL @ Gary Marantz-o trying to imitate my avatar!!!*
marantzo
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could remember the interview where Maddin said that the picture wasn't good good because he gave the reasons, I think he talked about what he was trying to do and that it just didn't work.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit ehle that mine is a lame imitation. I just don't look like a skinny little Spanish fruit. Laughing (Just in case you mistake my drift.)
lshap
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Quote:
I'm sure there is some way for a computer geek who doesn't let second hand smoke befuddle his mind, to remove the box for comment on the site.

You want to see your own avatar next to your own review, right? Perfectly reasonable request. And as best as I can decipher your quote above you want some way for reviews to be posted, while at the same time configuring the board to block any extraneous commentary. Sorry, but that's impossible, which brings us back to why you see the Godfather and my name next to every review.

Anything written, be it a critique, commentary or one of your own cranky complaints, is posted and appears in exactly the same way. A post is a post, regardless of content. The forum is either open to any and all posts, or none. We tried 'any and all posts' -- it didn't work despite repeated attempts. People -- you included -- continued to post well-intentioned comments on the reviews, which kind of defeated the point of having a dedicated review forum.

So you're stuck with my username, at least for now. I'll revisit this decision if enough people want it -- it certainly would be alot easier for me to let y'all post your own stuff -- but consider that tidying up another round of messy commentary is a time-consuming pain in the ass I'd really rather avoid. The current situation seems to work well for everyone (except you), and, as you astutely figured out with that steel-trap Sherlock Holmes mind, I am indeed posting everyone's reviews for the glorification of seeing my name next to them. You got me, God complex and all.

If I were you, I'd be praying for forgiveness for uttering the name of the false prophet, McBain, you fucking infidel.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:18 pm Reply with quote
So you're saying that there is no way of removing the post reply box on the page with the reviews. I don't think that's right. I'll ask mcbain, when or if he ever turns up.
Ghulam
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:05 am Reply with quote
Saw Harold and Kumar Go to the White Castle, since my daughter, home for the spring break, wanted to see it. Mildly funny weed-driven romp, at times over the top. My daughter thought it was very good.
Shane
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
So I take it from your comments that TOTIN should be set aside for a better example of Mr. Maddens work...suggestions anyone?