Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Syd
Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
This is something Roderick Heath (remember him?) was getting into in his review of "Sorry Wrong Number," which is obviously a good movie, but was originally done as an extremely effective radio play. Radio is extremely effective at claustrophobia (and actually anything that requires you to visualize--see "Radio Days" or listen to 40s and 50s radio shows). If I remember. McLuhan referred to it as a hot medium, since it required the audience to be participants rather than viewers.

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:

Sounds like he was being cute, but not for a mass audience. I haven't seen much Lynch but the only one I really liked was Mulholland Dr. (I haven't seen the Elephant Man since I grew up with the story. I didn't want to see it in film.)

Yep, Mul Dr. was an interesting trip into the LA subconscious, did what surrealism does okay. I guess the monkey thing was a...pet project. I am sure that more of a Lynch fan would have supplied what was needed, but I had no idea what that was.

I hope radio never dies, for the reasons you mention. Gary Keillor certainly helped keep that storytelling aspect alive, with his PHC show, e.g. the Guy Noir episodes.

Still have McLuhan in a book box somewhere, should unpack those and reread his magnum opus,in light of all the changes since then.