Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

bartist
Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:57 am Reply with quote
Trying to decide between Day of the Triffids and Night of the Comet for a viewing this e'en.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:12 am Reply with quote
"Inside Man," the new miniseries (really just a long movie cut into four parts) from Stephen Moffat, started out looking like Stanley Tucci doing a compelling variation on the Hannibal Lecter theme (imprisoned genius helps solve crimes), but despite some good turns from cast like David Tennant, couldn't quite decide if it was a black comedy or a more serious attempt to make some observations about human nature and our true selves. By the end, the comic moments seem sprinkled in rather than integral to the story, and it all unravels into preposterousness. And a deeply silly deus ex machina from a random garbage truck. Suspense, done properly, has us caring about at least one of the characters. To see that caring, established well enough in the first hour, pissed away in the next three is disappointing.

The post-credits scene would seem to set up another possible chapter, which one can hope will iron out some of these problems and give Mr. Tucci more room to illuminate the darker corners of human nature. I wouldn't mind seeing more of the actress who plays the Clarice Starling character, a young journalist at war with her own disgust for the man she is trying to profile.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen a movie since April when my TV died.

I do watch Rick & Morty, which streams on adultswim.com
Good sci-fi zaniness.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:30 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Finally watched "Pandora and the Flying Dutchman, a Netflix disk which I may have ordered due to the cinematographer Jack Cardiff (I don't remember exactly), and, you know, I hated this movie. Pretentious, strained, annoying, and I was hoping the great romantic couple would just die. The romantic couple are James Mason and Ava Gardner (Pandora), of whom the former is the Flying Dutchman, whom we're supposed to feel sympathetic for because he murdered his faithful lover under a misapprehension that she was unfaithful to him, and she attracts loves and destroys them. The end is joyous because they belong spending eternity in Hell together.

Last edited by Syd on Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:40 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:34 am Reply with quote
I have a soft spot for Ava Gardner because my mother resembled her when they were young, but God Gardner could be awful. Mom also looked a bit like Hedy Lamarr.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Gardner was really uneven in her performances, I agree. On the Beach is a case in point. Contrast to The Killers or Night of the Iguana.

My mom resembled Gillian Anderson quite a bit, though enough different that I could think Anderson was hot on the X Files without it feeling weird.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:12 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Gardner was really uneven in her performances, I agree. On the Beach is a case in point. Contrast to The Killers or Night of the Iguana.

My mom resembled Gillian Anderson quite a bit, though enough different that I could think Anderson was hot on the X Files without it feeling weird.

I really didn't like "Night of the Iguana," but it wasn't her fault. More Richard Burton, who made his reputation in better roles.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:19 pm Reply with quote
My mother looked like Queen Elizabeth. Sadly she only made it to 53.

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Moved to Couch with a View

Last edited by Syd on Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:26 am Reply with quote
Moved to Couch with a View

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
St. Trinian's: The Legend of Fritton's Gold: remarkably silly and way too frenetic, so I can understand why it got panned by critics, but I laughed quite a few times, and you don't often see Rupert Everett playing the headmistress of a girl's school (originally juvenile delinquents, but toned down very slightly). It suffered a bit since I hadn't seen the first of the reboots, but all in all it's a remarkably faithful study of 21st Century English education, which includes classes in medieval warfare and Saturday exorcism classes. A third movie has been in developer's hell for twelve years, which is probably a good thing.

Saw the 2007 movie of which that was the sequel. The same review would reply, as well as battles with a rival girl's school and some felonies, inspired by a class on crime. Not how to prevent it, but how to commit it.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Jumping over from the Lobby.
There were 15 lists of 50 films.

And since it only took 49 points to make the final Top 100 tally, that means everyone's #1 film (given 50 points) and #2 (worth 49) made the 3rd Eye Top 100 final list.

Trish had Gilbert Grape at #6 (45 points) and one other person had it at the tail end of their Top 50 list.

I was surprised/disappointed that one of my Top 5 films -- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest -- didn't make anyone else's list and so didn't make the final cut. Marc expressed interest in ranking Cuckoo's Nest, but didn't submit a list. This is so long ago (2007) that he was too busy running a video store, an occupation no longer existing.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Trish's Top 50 list is one of the more intriguing, quirky lists. Heavily favoring recent films (this was from 2007, so anything from the 90's or 21stC was pretty recent). [The bolded films are ones I am unfamiliar with] I think Trish had a thing for DeCaprio ...

1. Grifters, The
2. LA Confidential
3. Croupier
4. Crumb
5. Muriel’s Wedding
6. What’s Eating Gilbert Grape
7. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
8. This Boy’s Life
9. Ice Storm, The
10. When Harry Met Sally
11. Crossing Guard, The
12. Unbearable Lightness of Being, The
13. Bridget Jones’ Diary
14. Donnie Darko
15. Unforgiven
16. Catch Me If You Can
17. Dazed and Confused
18. Basketball Diaries, The
19. Boogie Nights
20. Doctor Zhivago
21. Closer
22. A Walk On the Moon
23. Goodfellas
24. Fight Club
25. Leaving Las Vegas
26. Gosford Park
27. Wizard of Oz
28. Before Sunrise
29. Shaun of the Dead
30. Sexy Beast
31. You Can Count On Me
32. Longtime Companion
33. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
34. Chasing Amy
35. Munich
36. Wonder Boys
37. Thelma and Louise
38. Dolores Claiborne
39. Laurel Canyon
40. Good Shepherd, The
41. Pleasantville
42. Shakespeare in Love
43. Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert , The
44. My Fair Lady
45. Songcatcher
46. Papillon
47. Immortal Beloved
48. I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead
49. Joe Versus The Volcano
50. Rough Magic

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:45 pm Reply with quote
My list is the best since my taste is, of course, impeccable.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:32 am Reply with quote
Heh! All lists are peccable in that they are so subjective. Some of the woeful omissions I mentioned in Lounge were an attempt to look at the whole arc of film, rather than attaching to a previous decade. About eight of them I would see as essential. (SEE BELOW) Trish's list seems less greatest films of all time and more "stuff I liked and saw recently." I mean, seriously, is Shaun of the Dead - though really funny - one of the 50 GOAT?

And yes, Cuckoo's Nest is a good candidate as well for a GOAT list...at least to my peccable taste.

Battleship Potemkin

Seven Samurai

The General (1926)

Au Hasard Balthazar

Tokyo Story

Fanny and Alexander

Rashomon

Double Indemnity (tied with, for me, Ace in the Hole)