Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

carrobin
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:53 am Reply with quote
"Women in Love" isn't my favorite Alan Bates flick, but it has a lot going for it, not least the famous wrestling scene. Even Alan Bates had commented on the line that a housewife in the audience had reputedly murmured to her companion--"Lovely carpet!"

I just left a comment in the Television forum about "A Carol for Another Christmas," which TCM showed a few weeks ago; I didn't remember much about the original, and I caught just the last half hour or so, the "Christmas future" segment, in which a "heroic" leader makes an entrance in a cowboy hat, riding a horse, to give a rabble-rousing speech to his adoring crowd. Peter Sellers never looked much like Donald Trump to me, but it was truly unnerving, especially since the drama was on TV in the 1960s. (Rod Serling was always a bit ahead of the rest of us.)
bartist
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Movies that imagined a future...2022.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/04/1070110448/2022-movies-past-future-soylent-green

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:52 pm Reply with quote
RIP Peter Bogdanovich, film historian, film buff, and director of fine films.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:02 pm Reply with quote
The Fallen Idol may not be either Carol Reed or Grahame Greene's finest moment, but it's surely right up there. If Ralph Richardson was ever better - as Baines, the butler and titular descending icon -- don't know when; young Bobby Henrey is amazingly direct as the child whose eye-view of the narrative is essential; and Michèle Morgan and the rest of the supporting cast, as with all technical and craft aspects, are inherently acute. It's a small film, but a potent one. "It's a great life if you don't weaken." Wholly recommended

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:42 am Reply with quote
Totally agree about The Fallen Idol. A great film. Yes, a small one, but amazing. Richardson is masterful, and Bobby Henrey gives one of the all-time greatest child performances.
Syd
Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
RIP Meat Loaf, whose acting skills were presented so memorably in BloodRayne. Well, at least he was a lot more fun to watch than Ben Kingsley and Michael Madsen. I've heard he had another career to fall back on when he wasn't acting.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Yes, we were lamenting the passing of Loaf, and his choice not to vax. Looks like the spiky soccerball caught up with him. Eddie in Rocky Horror, Bob Paulson in Fight Club, and many other indelible performances. Haven't seen Bloodrayne. Loved his music, which was great musical theater. Paradise by the Dashboard Light is an immortal classic. I wonder if Phil Rizzuto ever anticipated being mixed with a makeout session.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Finally (and we do mean FINALLY) found a link to Beggars of Life. Had forgotten how magical it is, and not just because of the then-experimental use of sound in a 1928 silent. William Wellman remains one of the true masters of direction; Richard Arlen may be better here than in his celebrated turn in Wellman's Wings, wonderfully spontaneous and, then, he looks like that; Wallace Beery has a field day as unofficial King of the Hobos; and, as the guardian-slaying-in-self-defense heroine disguised as a boy, Louise Brooks is without spot or blemish -- no wonder Pabst picked her for Lulu over Dietrich. One of the great unsung American fillums, undoubtedly cribbed by Preston Sturges for Sullivan's Travels, and, given the way things are going, probably prescient. May just have it played at our funeral. A classic.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Don't know Beggars of Life. But lots of talent involved therein.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Don't know Beggars of Life. But lots of talent involved therein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZunS8MKWeQ&t=1113s

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:41 am Reply with quote
Oh no. I have homework!

Actually it takes a bit of effort to get through to YouTube in China.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:40 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Oh no. I have homework!

Actually it takes a bit of effort to get through to YouTube in China.

Oh. Well, then, am very sorry Hope you get some other chance to see it. Never mind.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:41 am Reply with quote
Done with here.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
INLAREV:

(am seeing Beggars quite soon, btw)

I have been where you are, frustration-wise, re the sparse traffic situation at 3rd Eye. A few years ago, there was a sort of vote of no confidence, where several very active members had some clashing egos or just simmered interminably in some grievance about the "tone" or whatever, and all marched out in various dramatic exits.

Those that remained started using it more as a way to log their viewings, but were less married to the idea that active conversations with daily engagement and following each others lives were the lifeblood of a message board.

And almost no one, but me, was agitating for open registration and maybe some refurbishing and promoting, so that we could get some newbies and some sort of generational torch-passing as some members aged out of their cinematic obsessions (or message boards, generally). I posted, wrote several moderator/admin types, but the apathy was profound and all-encompassing. Folks seem to not realize that in the age of extremely dominant social media megacorps, keeping boards like this alive is not something that can happen through being passive and thinking nice thoughts.

What really disappoints and baffles me is that the OWNER of the site is absent from it, and seems unresponsive to making any changes that might give it a fresh start. Or even appoint a new mod, now that Weeds is mostly absent. (his post last week was the first in at least six months)

When you used the word "void" a week or two back, you weren't wrong. Most of my posts (and I think others have this experience, too, given that our respective areas of film interest do not always intersect) lately do seem to get that "void" response.

So 3rd Eye returns to drive-by mode. "I was driving by the old 3rd Eye the other day, and dropped in for a minute."

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:23 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
INLAREV:

(am seeing Beggars quite soon, btw)

I have been where you are, frustration-wise, re the sparse traffic situation at 3rd Eye. A few years ago, there was a sort of vote of no confidence, where several very active members had some clashing egos or just simmered interminably in some grievance about the "tone" or whatever, and all marched out in various dramatic exits.

Those that remained started using it more as a way to log their viewings, but were less married to the idea that active conversations with daily engagement and following each others lives were the lifeblood of a message board.

And almost no one, but me, was agitating for open registration and maybe some refurbishing and promoting, so that we could get some newbies and some sort of generational torch-passing as some members aged out of their cinematic obsessions (or message boards, generally). I posted, wrote several moderator/admin types, but the apathy was profound and all-encompassing. Folks seem to not realize that in the age of extremely dominant social media megacorps, keeping boards like this alive is not something that can happen through being passive and thinking nice thoughts.

What really disappoints and baffles me is that the OWNER of the site is absent from it, and seems unresponsive to making any changes that might give it a fresh start. Or even appoint a new mod, now that Weeds is mostly absent. (his post last week was the first in at least six months)

When you used the word "void" a week or two back, you weren't wrong. Most of my posts (and I think others have this experience, too, given that our respective areas of film interest do not always intersect) lately do seem to get that "void" response.

So 3rd Eye returns to drive-by mode. "I was driving by the old 3rd Eye the other day, and dropped in for a minute."

Darling BARTIST Well, exactly. Has Lorne died? (Heaven forfend). Is this forum just floating in some sort of algorithmic limbo? And yet, we are still here, and this forum somehow still is here, and maybe that's all there is, but, (cue Yvonne DeCarlo), I'm still here. Any way of communicating that isn't in the corporate overlord/media syndicate/social mediated means must mean some more than it doesn't. It's later than we think. And I hope you get "Beggars of Life," because, even as much as if not more than "Nomadland," it's where we all could end up. Just saying. Seriously, thank you for what you said, because it's exactly how I see it. And yeah, drive-in movies.....