Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Befade
Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I have Netflix streaming AND Netflix home delivery of discs. I just ordered Mary & Max And it should be here soon. I’m returning The Attack from 2012 a superb film about the Israeli Palestine conflict. Has anyone seen Shirley?

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:57 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
carrobin wrote:
Having a tight deadline for getting my apartment ready for possible buyer views

You're moving?
Where? Why?

carrobin wrote:
Argh!!! Last night all the shows on Broadway were closed until (at least) April 13--because coronavirus, of course. I'm planning to move back to South Carolina in May or June, whenever I can sell my apartment and find one there, and I have a bucket list of shows I want to see before I go--"Harry Potter" first, then "To Kill a Mockingbird," then "Ain't Too Proud," and more. At least those three are doing well enough to hope to survive the blackout. But I'm sorry for the tourists who got tickets and will miss out entirely.

In 1968, when I came to NYC for the first time with my mother on an Amtrak-sponsored "theater tour," the Broadway theaters were on strike. But we saw some good Off-Broadway plays (including "Summertree" with young Michael Douglas), and the strike ended in time for us to squeeze in "Hello Dolly" the night before we left. But this intermission is going to take a lot longer.

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:19 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
carrobin wrote:
Having a tight deadline for getting my apartment ready for possible buyer views

You're moving?
Where? Why?

Moving back to South Carolina because all my friends have moved out of town except one (and she lives on Long Island), and I no longer get steady paychecks because when Meredith Corp. bought Time Inc., I basically became a freelancer for them. I could live on Social Security in SC, and bank what I get for this apartment. I've been reluctant--I love NYC and would like to stay forever--but right now it's not really New York, so I'm ready. But nobody seems to be ready to buy a Central Park West studio at the moment.

P.S. My friend David in SC (who lived in NYC as well) just emailed that he's adopted another cat, after the death of 14-year-old Babe last year. I'm looking forward to meeting the new member of the family.
gromit
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:37 am Reply with quote
Maybe we just need to list your flat in Shanghai.
Folks have money here and like to invest in real estate.
And outside China's control.

Near Central Park West?
You've got a global asset on your hands.
Send me some apartment details and pics and rough price.
Can't hurt to list it here.

Send me a PM.
Or I think you can email me directly via 3rd Eye as well.

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I have a friend who has been talking about getting a small pied a terre in NYC, but I don't know if his budget is up to CPW. Is it condo or coop? My dad went the coop route for a while, but the fees turned out to be more than rent would have been for a comparable apt. Maybe different in NYC.

The friend has some notion, which I have doubts about, that it will soon be an ideal buyer's market and that good deals are to be had. Maybe true in some areas, and I guess it's already the case with some business properties. I fear the real trough may be a year or two down the road.

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Gromit and Bart: You're both very encouraging. I may send individual responses later, but these are the facts: It's a 500-sq-ft studio (condo) with a tiny kitchen on the second floor of a pleasant 7-story red-brick apartment building; the front windows have a view of the park across Central Park West (the last appraiser said that was worth $100,000 alone). There are two low steps from the main room up to the windows/kitchen area, so it's unsuitable for anyone in a wheelchair (also, there are steps down from the street level to lobby level at the building entrance). The building has one elevator, as well as an exercise room and storage areas available for monthly rental. My agent owns and rents out several apartments in the building, and he thinks mine can be sold for $500,000, although he's starting with a $650,000 ask that he can bargain down. It's on 103rd Street, which has a subway entrance to the B and C locals. The neighborhood is extremely mixed, with a city housing project and multimillion-dollar apartment houses, but it's generally pretty quiet.

It cost me $420,000 in 2008, which was a lot more than I planned to spend at the time, but it was so perfect that I got a mortgage and moved in. I haven't had the money to keep it in top shape, but the agent says it can be fixed up when a buyer makes an offer and makes a payment. When I moved in, the building had just made the transition from rental to condo, and it was freshly renovated.

And it's still seriously cluttered because the thrift shops, charity organizations, and bookstores that buy are still shut down. Tomorrow a lot of places will be opening up, though, and maybe I can get some work done and post some photos.
bartist
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:00 am Reply with quote
Looking for reviews of the 2013 film The Congress didn't find much beyond a zillion Lobby posts on the governmental one. The film, a mix of live action and animation, is not about that sort of Congress. With a strong cast (Robin Wright, Jon Hamm, Paul Giamatti, Harvey Keitel, Danny Huston), it starts as a satire of Hollywood and ends up as a weird journey into a future where all performers are digital samplings of now idled actors, and most of Earth's population lives in a shared hallucination called the chemical party. Along the way, the fictional "Robin Wright" deals with her responsibilities towards a handicapped son, monopolistic execs, a confusing revolution, a romance with a cartoon Jon Hamm, a long cryogenic slumber and profound crises of identity. It's a messy film in structure, and it's hard to tell what parts derive from the Stanislaw Lem novel and which aren't, but it is ambitious in its reach and pretty absorbing even at its most disjointed parts. The animation is beautiful.

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a horror.

I could even be interested in purchasing a NYC apartment ... if it weren't a 1/2 Mil.

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Re-watched 3 Billboards outside Ebbings, MO.
I think I liked it better this time.
It didn't seem as jagged or over-the-top, though it does have some OTT moments. It's also about police violence and police racism, which be timely.

Of course you don't have to wonder much why the police haven't caught the rapist/killer, judging by the way they do zilch about a cop who viciously attacks a citizen and the way they seem to get nowhere on the firebombing of their own police station. But I'm pretty sure you're supposed to focus on the dramatics and character relationships, and not think about the police investigations.

I noticed that they borrowed a little from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, in that the rogue cop starts stuttering anytime his mother is mentioned. I think I spotted that first time as well, but forget.

Unfortunately my disc has poor sound (and really so does my TV) so I missed a few things here and there.

Last edited by gromit on Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:11 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed my re-watch of Elmer Gantry.
Jean Simmons and Burt Lancaster are both terrific.
I like the ambiguity involved in both characters and I guess the whole film.
The friendship between Lancaster's gantry and the atheistic reporter is really handled well.

I'm not sure if I like the misdirection, where things seem ready to hit bottom, then get cleared up quickly, only to have disaster strike swiftly. Though the semi-apocalyptic nature of the ending is interesting.

A pretty terrific film.
Shouldn't be missed.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I just watched Elisabeth Moss in Shirley. She plays the writer, Shirley Jackson. I think I have a greater appreciation for actors in this time of little social contact. She was brilliant....an unpleasant character whose books I never read and now feel it would be wise to stay away from.

I saw her in Her Smell and The Invisible Man. Could not finish watching Smell..too repulsive. Man was just ok. But Shirley...this movie zig zags through the depiction of an unstable woman who wants to be known as a writer.....not a housewife....foretelling the dawn of the feminist movement. I’m cringing as I remember the impact of Moss’ performance.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
I just watched Elisabeth Moss in Shirley. She plays the writer, Shirley Jackson. I think I have a greater appreciation for actors in this time of little social contact. She was brilliant....an unpleasant character whose books I never read and now feel it would be wise to stay away from.

I saw her in Her Smell and The Invisible Man. Could not finish watching Smell..too repulsive. Man was just ok. But Shirley...this movie zig zags through the depiction of an unstable woman who wants to be known as a writer.....not a housewife....foretelling the dawn of the feminist movement. I’m cringing as I remember the impact of Moss’ performance.

Haven't seen "Shirley." Had never heard of it, in fact. But I saw both "Her Smell" and "The Invisible Man" and loved loved loved both of them. Yes, "Her Smell" is repulsive--on purpose--and it has a tremendous effect. Moss is absolutely mind-blowing. She's also great in "The Invisible Man," which scared me silly, from first frame to last. A sensational horror film.
gromit
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:

I saw her in Her Smell and The Invisible Man.

Haven't seen any of these.
Will see if they get to the last dvd store in Shanghai.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Shirley is streaming on Hulu.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
But gromit ain't ...