Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Syd--You have been catching my favorite-ever roles by actresses in the last week. Caron and Signoret, both coincidentally Frenchwomen, give IMO two of the very best performances in screen history. Signoret gives hands-down my favorite Oscarwinning performance of all time. Caron was nominated but unfortunately was up against Audrey Hepburn in 1953, when the gamine sweepstakes were all Hepburn's to lose all the time. (Caron gave the more memorable performance by far.)
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Room at the Top: for some reason I thought this was going to be a comedy but actually it's a well-done soap opera/class conflict movie in which angry young man Laurence Harvey is determined to get out of his working-class background, and to do this sets his eye on the beautiful daughter of the richest man in town. To get close to her, he joins a theater troupe to which she and Simone Signoret belong. Harvey has an eye for the ladies, and the older Signoret offers him sympathy, then tea, then herself. Harvey has already seen how her husband mistreats her, and Harvey and Signoret fall in love, while Harvey keeping an eye on the rich man's daughter. After a quarrel with Signoret, he begins an affair with the rich girl, and things get emotionally complicated.

Harvey is effective as the young man with a chip on his shoulder (actually the whole tree), but Signoret is outstanding in what is considered the best role by this great actress. I thought she was excellent in Army of Darkness, too, but this is her as a lead and dominating the movie. The supporting cast is fine, too. Heather Sears has the unfortunate role as the pretty young rich girl; she's nice, but bland compared with Signoret. Hermione Badderley, who plays a friend of Signoret's who lends her apartment to Harvey and Signoret, holds the distinction of being the actress with the shortest role ever to be nominated for an Academy Award. She's on screen for two minutes and twenty seconds, and makes them count.

The film suffers a little bit by having an ending telegraphed far in advance and an antihero who's really pretty unlikeable.

This film also holds the distinction of being the only film to defeat Ben-Hur at the Oscars. It took the award for Adapted Screenplay, because, well, its screenplay's better.

This is one I've meant to see forever. Not, I believe, available on Netflix streaming.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
It should be available at any good video store in Houston, or don't they have good video stores? Shocked
Syd
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Le Million: An artist is being chased by his creditors when he discovers he's won the lottery. The only trouble is that the ticket is his his jacket which his girlfriend (Annabella) has lent to a man wanted by the police. But then the jacket finds its way into the hands of an opera singer who wants to use it as part of a bohemian costume. The artist's best friend is also looking for the ticket in hopes of sharing the wealth, and enlists the artist's model (who the artist's girlfriend has caught the artist playing around. This all culminates at the opera with at least six people at least wanting possession of this jacket, some of them not even knowing. Oh, and it's a musical. A strange one.

I have a strong resistance to René Clair's French farces, but I must admit this one grew on me, and the scenes at the opera are very funny. This is apparently the first movie musical in which much (but not all) of the dialogue is sung. The highlight is a sweet scene in which a young couple has to hide on stage while the singers are singing a love duet.

Annabella is really good (and really beautiful) in this film, well before she went to Hollywood and married Tyrone Power. René Lefèvre is the poor artist and Jean-Louis Allibert his sometime best friend and rival.

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
ROOM AT THE TOP is not available on DVD.
Syd
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
ROOM AT THE TOP is not available on DVD.

It is at Amazon, but it's expensive. It's probably out of print. It streams on Hulu. (So does Le Million, but I watched it on TCM.)

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
It should be available at any good video store in Houston, or don't they have good video stores? Shocked

Of course not. Since there are no longer videos. Smile

One other reason to dislike Netflix, though. They killed the local store. Blockbuster may have sucked, but Hollywood Video sure didn't. Not to mention the local businesses that went under. Which pretty much makes Netflix the Wal-Mart of home entertainment, but this doesn't seem to bother many. After all, it's so convenient not to leave your house.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:01 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:

One other reason to dislike Netflix....

There is virtually no reason to dislike Netflix. They revolutionized the ritual of DVD rental with their no-late-fee policy and their public relations have been impeccable. When you contact Netflix on the telephone you always get a real person. How many companies can say the same in this era of voice-mail hell?
bartist
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
I do sorta miss the local Hollywood Video - cheaper than Ballbuster and better selection.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is a comedic goofball Vegas version of The Prestige, with the same rivalry between real magician and pseudomagician. The two Steves play well together, Jim Carrey is perfect as a masochistic street performer hellbent on topping himself, and there's a final act that is wonderfully silly. Also has Gandolfini's last screen appearance, IIRC. Fans of "Bones" will note that Dr. Sweets co-wrote the screenplay and has an amusing bit part as well.

correction: Gandolfini will be appearing in "Enough Said," upcoming comedy from Nicole Holofcener.

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:

One other reason to dislike Netflix....

There is virtually no reason to dislike Netflix. They revolutionized the ritual of DVD rental with their no-late-fee policy and their public relations have been impeccable. When you contact Netflix on the telephone you always get a real person. How many companies can say the same in this era of voice-mail hell?

But who cares if they answer the telephone if all they call tell you is "No, we don't offer that streaming. Or that. Or that. Or that. Or that"? What do you even need to call them for?

Yes, they revolutionized the business model for home entertainment. They Wal-Marted it: drive out the competition, both national and local, provide a mediocre product, and charge more not less. Some accomplishment.

The real revolution wasn't in Netflix but in the creation of DVDs, which made the mail order process much more feasible than when people relied on tapes (though there were small efforts made in those days; packaging tapes for mail delivery and getting them to and fro easily was just too cumbersome a process for it to really catch on).

-Topher
Syd
Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching The Circus and wondering how in hell Chaplin did the tightrope walk without killing himself. And yes, he really did walk that tightrope.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
The Circus is probably the least well-known of Chaplin's silent features. It's not as good as Modern Times, The Gold Rush and City Lights, but few films are. I do like it better than The Great Dictator and much better than The Kid. The film has a soundtrack composed by Chaplin in the 60s, and he sings a song over the opening credits.

The Little Tramp here chances into a job as a circus performer, the joke being that he's only really funny when he's not trying to be funny. He befriends the ringmaster's mistreated stepdaughter. Among other things, the ringmaster starves her when she performs badly, and also beats her until the Tramp steps in. Since the circus is failing, they really need the Tramp, so for once he has some pull.

There are some really great scenes here, such as a chase through a mirror maze, Chaplin pretending to be an automaton, Chaplin in a lion cage with a real lion (which has impressive fangs), and best of all, Chaplin on a tightrope with monkeys swarming over him and no apparent net. I'm sure there's some fancy camerawork and matte work going on, but Chaplin really did learn to walk a tightrope for this sequence, and, being Chaplin, did it in a couple of hundred takes. There's also a poignant ending. Several of them, actually.

This was originally nominated for Picture (I don't know if it would have been up agains Wings or Sunrise), Director (of a comedy--this category was split that year), Actor and Screenplay, but it was taken out of the competitive categories and Chaplin given a special award. Looking at who actually won, Chaplin would have won comedy direction and screenplay, and had a good shot at actor. I guess they didn't want one person taking home most of the major awards.

Last edited by Syd on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:46 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
On the other hand, Chaplin was going through a nasty divorce at the time and was being hounded by the IRS, so maybe he didn't care.

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Syd--You have been catching my favorite-ever roles by actresses in the last week. Caron and Signoret, both coincidentally Frenchwomen, give IMO two of the very best performances in screen history. Signoret gives hands-down my favorite Oscarwinning performance of all time. Caron was nominated but unfortunately was up against Audrey Hepburn in 1953, when the gamine sweepstakes were all Hepburn's to lose all the time. (Caron gave the more memorable performance by far.)

So who should I check out next? The other actress in your top ten is Grace Kelly in Rear Window, which I've seen many times.

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:54 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
So who should I check out next? The other actress in your top ten is Grace Kelly in Rear Window, which I've seen many times.

Thanks for noticing. Others in my pantheon (I have the feeling you've probably seen them all):

Naomi Watts in Mulholland Dr. Buster Keaton in The General. Michael Keaton in Clean and Sober. Angela Lansbury in The Manchurian Candidate. Martin Landau in Ed Wood. Nicolas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas. Everybody in The Apartment.